[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a good album, but what's the deal with the overuse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 61QofgEzlfL.jpg (98KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
61QofgEzlfL.jpg
98KB, 500x500px
This is a good album, but what's the deal with the overuse of dynamic compression? Everything mixed so loudly it's clipping to near distortion at a few times. Sure it's not MBDTF or Raw Power bad, but for a Jazz album, was that really necessary?
>>
Any particular moments? I assume you just have some stolen file.
>>
>>69515072
It's not terrible but I notice what you mean; I think they just wanted it to have a more palatable/up front sound to people who were used to listening to mainstream indie and weren't used to the totally clean/spacious production style most modern jazz albums have

Also some of the instruments seem to have been recorded with the mic way too close. Especially the trumpet on Miss Understanding
>>
>>69515072
>F# pentatonic
>>
>>69515072
idk about any of this since i havent listened to this album but i saw him live in april and it was one of the best shows ive ever seen.
>>
>>69515236
>being scale-ist
It's 2016 people
>>
>>69515072
Yeah the album is mixed absolutely horribly. I assume it's to appeal hip hop fans who'd rather hear the bass pumping than any actual definition between the instruments.

I guess it worked.
>>
>>69515251
Yeah I saw him in Portland. Incredible stuff.
>>
>>69515256
I'd be shocked if that we're true anyway. Pentatonic is uncommon in jazz.
>>
>>69515333
jtg posted a transcription of one of his solos and except for a few notes it was all pentatonic and major scales
>>
>>69515356
Two very different scales

I'd be interested to see the percentage. If anything, incorporation of pentatonic would be an interesting novelty.
>>
>>69515385
Isn't the pentatonic scale just the major scale minus 2 notes?

Here's a link to the thread btw
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S69473835#p69476635
>>
>>69515407
Those two scales are completely different I don't care if it's two or ten notes.
That kind of comparison is appropriate with the pentatonic scale and the blues scale which is literally the pentatonic scale with one extra note added.
>>
>>69515458
Ok
>>
>>69515475
And I'll address anything in that thread once I stop laughing at the Bill Clinton post
>>
>>69515407
Ok so the only song in question is Run Home? Has more of a fusion feel but at the first solo holy shot I definitely hear what is meant but this is the blues scale which was addressed but incorrectly. When this note is added it literally changed the scale.
>>
And still waiting on clarification of the thread question especially now that I have this garbage playing.
>>
And that was actually cool as shit to "follow along" since I only ever learned by tablature.

So that address one 90 second solo out of a 3 hour Epic
>>
>>69515516
?

thread link?
>>
>>69515516
>>69516287
nevermind i'm retard
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.