[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the term "IDM" still being used? I thought we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: idm-logo.png (155KB, 834x368px) Image search: [Google]
idm-logo.png
155KB, 834x368px
Why is the term "IDM" still being used? I thought we agreed that it's just techno, ambient, downtempo, etc. depending on the artist.
>>
Egowanking
>>
it's an awful term but its widespread use makes it convenient to use - you say IDM and people get an idea of what you are talking about. that is all there is to it.
>>
File: 1305152609309_f.jpg (24KB, 500x291px) Image search: [Google]
1305152609309_f.jpg
24KB, 500x291px
>>69505021
because these young male kids want to feel special and different so they make up fancy new words so they could feel like their secret club has finally shit nobody actually listens to

reminder that mu doesnt care about music they think anything obscure and weird is good. so this isnt about good music this is about "gee, i´d want to be weirdest fucking freak and like things nobody likes".

so TL;DR you shouldnt give any fucks about what /mu/ thinks ever. they´re not into music they´re into forcing really bad obscure shit as a fashion statement.
>>
>>69505117
is this pasta, a troll or are you just a really dumb person?
>>
i've been starting to call idm 'introspective dance music' as opposed to 'intelligent dance music'. but in the end i agree that it's more effective to descibe the kind of music that idm refers to by listing multiple genres like you've said (ambient, techno, downtempo, etc).
>>
>>69505174
>music is objective meme
>>
>>69505193
what are you even on about? i'm pretty sure i never mentioned objectivity

boy, you really are stupid
>>
>>69505117
both
>>
>>69505174
>dude memes
close your browser retard.
>>
>>69505234
?
>>
I think we should call it experimental dance music, or EDM or short
>>
>>69505246
have some ralph since youre going full retard
>>
>>69505256

LOL
>>
>>69505234
feel special agreeing with the consensus of a Scandinavian trumpet welding forum?
>>
>>69505268
wow.
>>
File: 1469685554059.jpg (6KB, 226x249px) Image search: [Google]
1469685554059.jpg
6KB, 226x249px
>downtempo
>>
>>69505117
reddit
>>
>>69505117
you have no idea of what you are talking about, do you?
>>
File: (You).jpg (15KB, 234x230px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
15KB, 234x230px
>>69505021
>>69505117
sad
>>
>>69505021
I think it might have something to do with the fact that it's objectively sonicly distinct from any of those genres
>>
>>69505350
>not Sad!
pleb
>>
>>69505372
>squarepusher and boards of canada sound the same

no
>>
just call it electronica
>>
>>69505117
best post on /mu/ right now
>>
>>69505404
this, but ironically
>>
>>69505256
that would be dope
>>
IDM is dadtronica, basically. it's for rockists who need to stick to albums even when listening to a style that has never prefered that format.
>>
File: 1474084704273.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1474084704273.gif
2MB, 380x285px
>mfw listening to any "IDM" from the 90s

why is it so bad, you guys
>>
>>69505544
what have you listened and how can you not like boards of canada, they're dope
>>
>>69505181

Introspective Dance Music and Extroverted Dance Music are great descriptions for the genre and they both have their place for different situations.
>>
>>69505544
What do you mean you don't like midi strings and chimpunk breakbeats? They're the way of the future!

>t. watmm
>>
>>69505544
change that to any IDM, period, and i agree.

fuck /mu/ for presenting me electronic music as only boards of canada and aphex twin. or even worse, some shit like bonobo
>>
>tronica
I will make it my life's mission to kill this godawful suffix
>>
>>69505544

What's bad about it?
>>
>>69505193
You are a fucking idiot and have no idea what "objective" means. Protip: it's not a synonym for "universal fact". Opinions can be objective.
>>
>>69505679
ob·jec·tive
əbˈjektiv/Submit
adjective
(of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
*sigh*
>>
>>69505706
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/objective
>not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased:
>an objective opinion.
Woah, wait, what's that, objective OPINION? What an oxymoron, no way this is right
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivity_(philosophy)
>Objectivity is a central philosophical concept, related to reality and truth, which has been variously defined by sources. Generally, objectivity means the state or quality of being true even outside of a subject's individual biases, interpretations, feelings, and imaginings. A proposition is generally considered objectively true (to have objective truth) when its truth conditions are met without biases caused by feelings, ideas, opinions, etc., of a sentient subject. A second, broader meaning of the term refers to the ability in any context to judge fairly, without partiality or external influence. This second meaning of objectivity is sometimes used synonymously with neutrality.
>A second, broader meaning of the term refers to the ability in any context to judge fairly, without partiality or external influence
ooooooh myyyyyy gooooooood, maybe anon #69505706 IS a fucking moron.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.