[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best form of classical music? Chamber music? Concertos?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: bachpleb.jpg (224KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bachpleb.jpg
224KB, 1200x1200px
What is the best form of classical music? Chamber music? Concertos? Symphonies? Operas?
>>
fugue :DDDD
>>
>implying there is a "best" one
Which do you prefer? That's the best form.

Personally I'm a sucker for timbric variety so I prefer big chamber orchestras (fine, there aren't many examples of chamber orchestras), massive late-romantic symphonies and tone poems. For some reason bigass operas don't usually do it for me in spite of having plenty timbric variety.

On the other hand some of my favourite pieces ever are piano sonatas and preludes.
>>
Bach Church Cantatas
>>
>>69499978
For Common-Practice, Choral.
>>
Trio Sonatas
>>
File: 1363303978738.jpg (738KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1363303978738.jpg
738KB, 1200x1600px
a Kanye concert
>>
I like solo piano playing.

For some reason orchestral stuff bothers me because it's always slowing down and speeding up and I can imagine the conductor very emphatically waving his arms around to signal all the tempo changes and it's like, why not just play at one tempo?
>>
>>69500634
>it's like, why not just play at one tempo?
Do you even like music?
>>
>>69500681
why do they need to slow down and speed up so much though? it just seems over-dramatic. i guess back in the day, tempo was considered like an interesting thing to experiment with or something. that must have sucked to live back then.

"ok guys check out this trippy tempo change"
>>
>>69500735
"we're gonna get slower....then faster!!"
>>
>>69500735
leaving aside the fact that dynamics and tempo are as malleable instruments of composition as pitch, harmony, timbre and whatnot,
>why do they need to slow down and speed up so much though? it just seems over-dramatic.
I suppose you're thinking of the late romantic period. That's kind of what it was all about. Perhaps look in different eras. Still, your argument is a bit silly. Fixed on tempo like that. But the worst bit is this:
>that must have sucked to live back then.
That's like saying "any time in history where people enjoyed stuff that I don't must have SUCKED DUUUUDE"

Some people enjoy the "trippy tempo change", and there's nothing wrong with it. No different than enjoying a "trippy chord progression" or "trippy pantonality" or whatever.
>>
>>69500784
oh and
>inb4lolitrollu
>>
>>69500784
Nah I'm not trolling, I just don't get it. I think the problem is that once you get an orchestra together, you need a conductor, and then in order to give themselves some semblance of purpose, they insist on constantly changing the tempo as if it's somehow interesting.
>>
>>69500824
My point is that often times it is. Yes we all can name composers that overdid it and made a mess, but as a tool to keep tension, hold atmosphere and generally make engaging music, I find that a lot of times it really works wonders, especially starting on the peak of Romanticism up until the more experimental and formless works of what could be called post-modernism (1950s onwards).

IUNNO I GUESS LEL
>>
Minimalism
>>
>>69501426
That's not a form, it's an approach
>>
>>69499978
Personally, chamber music.
>>
File: 1477732042862.jpg (250KB, 1200x901px) Image search: [Google]
1477732042862.jpg
250KB, 1200x901px
I'd say the pet form
>>
>>69501800
>>>/trash/
>>
File: (not true, btw).jpg (2KB, 148x25px) Image search: [Google]
(not true, btw).jpg
2KB, 148x25px
>>69501435
>>
The string quartet is the best form of all music.
>>
>>69502091
yes, it is true
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.