[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be /mu/ >complain about how bands like Explosions in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

>be /mu/
>complain about how bands like Explosions in the Sky are "crescendocore" and shitty, overdone, non-creative post rock.
>Listening to Explosions in the Sky, and how it doesn't just go from Soft>Loud every fucking song
>the tracks in All of a Sudden being prime examples, especially the first track which starts loud, gets quiet, bursts (doesn't build) into a loud section, etc.)
>yet /mu/ praises Lift Your Tiny Dicks Kike Retards to the Sun
>The album is literally two crescendos that slowly build, with some drone/noise thrown in.

wtf /mu/?
>>
I want answers, faggots.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2305x2442px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2305x2442px
>>69494123
Is my pizza done?
>>
>>69494316

You sure were niggardly with the mushrooms, faggot.

nig·gard·ly
ˈniɡərdlē/
adjective
adjective: niggardly

not generous; stingy.
>>
>Be OP
>Be a Faggot
>Think /mu/ is a hive mind
>What the fuck am I even saying?
>>
>>69494123
>>>The album is literally two crescendos that slowly build, with some drone/noise thrown in.

It's not though
Godspeed at least showcases some creativity with their ambient/drone interludes and structure, whereas every single EITS song is the exact fucking same (same with other meme crescendocore).
>>
>>69494414

>be anon
>/mu/ basically is a hivemind
>being this new
>doesn't see that this album is ejaculated on nearly every second on this board
>they also all like the same 20 albums
>>
>>69494440

But the common complaint I see is people saying every third wave post rock album follows a soft>loud>soft dynamic. That's the main complaint; this is why they dislike third wave post rock.

Yet, they praise Skinny Fists, and Mogwai's Hardcore Will Never Die... LITERALLY follows that same fucking path, and they circle jerk their skinny dicks all over them.
>>
>>69494440

What about their structure in Skinny Fists is is unique? Build one layer at a time, get louder, and louder, hit crescendo, go into something else.

Know who doesn't do that? EiTS. They change their structure and the chords progressions every 20 seconds or so. Skinny Fists has fucking 7 minute builds for fucks sake.
>>
>>69494123

I like third wave post rock, and the earlier stuff too. kinda agree with op here, though.
>>
mama mia
>>
>>69494123
If you actually think EITS are better than Godspeed, you are the biggest pleb in the world
>>
>>69494745

Why? I'm honestly wondering why people dog EITS for being linear as fuck, when Godspeed is fucking MILES more linear, objectively, via the minutes you can track on their albums. EITS doesn't have two eight minute builds in their albums. They change their chord progressions nearly every minute or so. Listen to All of a Sudden. Then, listen to Skinny Fists. Which one starts with a SEVEN MINUTE build?
>>
>>69494123
i love explosions. saw them live once and they were epic and on point. one of those bands that sounds better live. their first album and the rescue ep are my favorites.
>>
>>69494793
Why are you citing All of a Sudden when Cold Dead Place is the far superior album?
>>
>>69494805

Well, I think that All of a Sudden has a lot more changes over shorter periods.
What are your opinions on this? Why do people praise godspeed for the same reason they trash EitS?
>>
I have yet to hear any reasons, faggots. Just ad hominems from people calling me a pleb.
>>
bumping for answers
>>
>>69494805
>Cold Dead Place superior

CDP gets soooo boring after the first song. All of a Sudden and Those Who Tell the Truth are much better paced.

To answer OPs question GY!BE definitely use very linear structures in their songs (Antennas to Heaven being the one exception on LYSF, by being more of a collage) but simply have a wider palette of sounds and styles than Explosions. Drones, strings, field recordings, these add up and strengthen their compositions so they don't need intricate guitar and drums leads to carry their songs.

It all comes down to taste in the end and I think a lot of /mu/ thinks Explosions is too close to regular rock with "muh guitars," solos, and overall brightness. GY!BE's grittier style appeals more to /mu/.
>>
>>69494316
Just a little more.
>>
>>69495005

THANKS for answering. I would agree that Godspeed has more textures.

What about This Will Destroy You's debut? It has an extremely typical post rock sound, yet people praise it.
>>
>>69495052
The only TWDY I liked was Tunnel Blanket for it's mix of ambient and post-rock, Black Dunes and Little Smoke are great. The rest of their work seems pretty generic to me. The Mighty Rio Grande's good tho.
>>
>>69495109

I was listening to The Mighty Rio Grande; it's pretty generic too though, isn't it? It's structure is pretty typical.
>>
>>69495109

And do you have any suggestions for post rock? Favorite albums?
>>
>being offended by some person
>blames the entire board

kys
>>
>>69494123
>Lift Your Tiny Dicks Kike Retards to the Sun

Wew
>>
>>69495187

>it basically is the entire board though
>everyone on this board circle jerks skinny fists
>look how often it's in peoples' chartpostings
>kys
>>
>he writes off third-wave Post-Rock entirely
Golly gee, pleb city up in this fucking nigger
>>
>>69495227
"I really hate it when people like things I don't like".
>>
>>69495263

Who did? Me? No. I'm not; other people do, because they think it's too predictable/typical. And they ironically praise skinny fists... An album that starts with a 7 minute build. And then has an 8 minute one later (Sleep).
>>
>>69495278

Not my point. People can like what they like, and dislike what they dislike; that isn't my problem. My problem is when people say they dislike something BECAUSE it's "crescendocore", and then they circle jerk over Skinny Fists... which is crescendocore.
>>
>>69495300
People don't hate third wave post rock because it has long builds, they hate it because it relies almost entirely on a generic soft/loud dynamic to create any form of tension. It's boring, at results in a genre where everything sounds the same.

Although Godspeed uses a loud/soft dynamic they also create tension and atmosphere through more diverse instrumentation as well as ambient, drone and field recording sections. At least to me, this kind of tension makes LYSF far more interesting than, say, any of EITS or Yndi Halda's albums.
>>
LYSF is also much more harmonically interesting than any of EITS's releases, which are all based around the same harmonic structures and tonalities/tonal spaces
>>
>>69495052
>>69495109 (me)
Also Godspeed You has this cavernous quality to it that I really like and can't think of another post-rock band that does it quite as well. I really enjoy zoning out to post-rock and find the most comfort and time to do that with Godspeed before being sucked into another incredible visceral section.

>>69495171
Well:

Mogwai - Young Team got me into Post Rock and is a definite essential if you haven't heard it, along with Happy Songs, My Father My King, and Rock Action, but take your time with them.

Boris's Flood and Feedbacker are phenomenal - real easy to lost in but with some pummellingly hard sections.

Not memeing, but Sunbather is worth checking out. Not for everyone, but its better to view it as a post rock album with black metal style than the other way around.

Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind is a fucked up album. I still struggle to listen to the whole thing through, it's quite unsettling and just long, but taken as two albums helps.

A Silver Mt. Zion is reeeally different from GY!BE but quite good. "This Is Out Punk Rock" is the closest they get to GY!BE familiarity, but with singing. He Left Us Alone is very quite for post-rock and focuses a lot on piano, then Fuck Off Get Free is the most rock of their work.

I'm sure you've heard of, or heard, all of these albums but post-rock isn't a super dense genre. There are a couple of transcendent bands that if dig their style you'll eat up everything from them (Mogwai, Swans, GY!BE, Explosions) and a shit ton of cheap imitators (Yndi Halda, anything that's just 15 min rock song + strings).
>>
>>69495300
I'm just being general. third wave has a lot of garbage bands but has produced some really cool stuff too. /mu/ just hates the whole damn affair for no great reasons.
>>
>>69495360

I actually do like Sunbather a lot. Fuck what people say about it being a meme. Great pacing, ethereal as fuck, interesting take on the genre.
>>
>>69495436
Definitely check out Boris then.
>>
>>69495474

Will do... Also, a little bit related, do you know any albums that sound close to M83's Dead Cities? I love the minimalist electronic post rock sound they have on that album, and haven't found anything even closely resembling it.
>>
>>69495517
Haven't heard it, but Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport is an album I forgot to mention. Probably noisier than M83, but definitely electronic post rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQXSsbQCMs
>>
>>69494497
No. Historically Most music generally follows the soft loud dynamic. The problem with 3rd wave is how obnoxiously and distastefuly this is done.

The main complaint though is just how god awfully cheesy it is.
>>
>>69495557

Cool. Digging Boris, by the way. Loving Flood II.
>>
>>69495575

How so?
And what are your favorite post rock bands?
>>
>>69495360
>cavernous
Sigur Ros?
>>
>>69495598
How is it cheesy? That comes down to the generic and ""epic"" sounding harmonies they go for. Some guy already mentioned the use of banal tonal spaces too. It's just the most basic vanilla shit that most people will start playing if you hand them a guitar and let them practice 2-3 years. I mean there's a reason all these 3rd wave bands sound the same.

To answer your second question I like talk talk, tortoise, bark psychosis stuff like that
>>
>be /mu/
>complain about how vaporware is literally all the same
>yet praise Macintosh One
>the album literally sounds like every other vaporware album

wtf /mu/?
>>
>be /mu/
>complain about the post punk revival because it all sounds the same
>yet praise Remain in Light
>the album is literally just a post-punk album with the same beat and drumming

wtf /mu/?
>>
>be /b/
LELE SO RADUM
>>
>be /mu/
>complain about the shoegaze revival because it all sounds like vacuums
>yet praise loveless
>the album literally just sounds like vacuums

wtf /mu/?
>>
You can stop now
>>
>be /mu/
>meme linkin park for navel-gazing lyrics about shitty relationships
>yet praise pet sounds
>the album is literally just navel-gazing lyrics about shitty relationships
>>
>>69495625
( ) and Voltari definitely have their expansive moments, but usually I go to Sigur Ros for elation - Isjaki, Glosoli, etc
>>
>>69495997
>Pygmalion by Slowdive is superior shoegaze
>>
>>69495557
>>69495580
better quality video and a softer entry to Fuck Buttons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQZo2rsReEM
>>
>>69494123
u stupid bruh
>>
GY!BE is also crescendocore. Does that make you feel better?
>>
>>69494455
god stfu. no one likes either of those bands
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.