[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you believe U2 were actually kind of cool once, before Bono's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: U2_War_album_cover.jpg (34KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
U2_War_album_cover.jpg
34KB, 300x300px
Can you believe U2 were actually kind of cool once, before Bono's ego got bigger than the planet Neptune?
>>
Not bad album but holy fuck is it ever dated.
>>
>>69488981
Good in the relative sense, I just tried to go back to one of my favorite U2 albums (Zooropa) yesterday and I realized it was great in the context of their work but overall, it's still nothing special and then I got sad and realized I can probably never go back to my other early favorites like Boy and War or I'll realize those weren't that great either
>>
>>69489281
99 percent of music from the 80s is dated.
>>
bono always had a mega ego from the start
at least in the 90s he sort of parodied himself, then subsequently became the real thing full stop
>>
File: disagree.jpg (104KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
disagree.jpg
104KB, 736x552px
>>69488981
Police fan here. Bono learned at Sting's knee about being in a cool band then shitting on its reputation by having an ego that will knock Earth out of orbit and into the sun.
>>
>>69489281
Sound-wise it's held up pretty well, the lyrics about the Troubles and the US-Soviet confrontation totally.
>>
File: Achtung Baby.png (523KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Achtung Baby.png
523KB, 500x500px
Achtung Baby's one of the best albums of the 90's
>>
>>69488981
u2 ARE NOT post-punk
>>
>>69489482
Boy through War are
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
War [Island, 1983]

The deadly European virus that's always tainted this band turns out to be their characteristic melodic device, a medieval-sounding unresolved fifth frequently utilized by monks in Hollywood movies. In other respects, however, their hot album is rock and roll indeed. The Edge becomes a tuneful guitarist by the simple expedient of not soloing, and if Bono has too many Gregorian moments his conviction still carries the music. Anyway, I'll take his militant if pacifist Christianity ("The real battle has begun/To claim the victory Jesus won") over most of the secular humanism and Jah love rockers are going in for these days. B+
>>
the first 40 seconds of New Year's Day is the only U2 I can stand
>>
>>69489561
that's funny because Christgau says he's a fedora, yet he ultimately thinks Bonos Christfaggotry is more uplifting than metal bands singing about Satan
>>
>>69489493
meme
>>
Angles and Airwaves are a better U2 than U2.
>>
>>69489703
He was raised in an extreme Christfag household and his brother is a minister. I guess he likes the moral stuff but he just doesn't believe in the supernatural part of it.

Which is ok I guess, it's better at least than Lemmy saying he hates religion because it's stopping him from being a degenerate.
>>
>>69489331
What's the 1% that isn't dated?
>>
>>69489561
>The deadly European virus that's always tainted this band
What does he mean by that?
>>
>>69490118
He's saying Yuropoors don't truly "get" rock-and-roll and instead try to mishmash it with classical music.
>>
>>69489966
Bleach by Nirvana and Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jrs albums from the 80s
>>
>>69489561
What are some examples of u2 using an unresolved 5th?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.