[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this is a music board, but I guess it's also the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: butuoy.png (151KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
butuoy.png
151KB, 2272x1704px
I know this is a music board, but I guess it's also the culture board of the chin

Youtube was the last pure movement of culture. From 2006-2009 it was unregulated, and produced pure organic exciting art.

Anybody else nostalgic for this period?
>>
>>69485345
>art
>>
> From 2006-2009 it was unregulated, and produced pure organic exciting art.

Examples, please.
>>
not quite
>>
>>69485398
The way that I understand this sentiment is that during this time period, there was not yet a well understood way for getting tons of attention on the website - the biggest YouTubers were trying different stuff, trying to feel out the ecosystem that would eventually become what we have today (which is as much about YouTube itself as other factors such as the rise of internet usage by the general populace + the ascension of clickbait and social media).

That said, we still see a tremendous amount of unregulated variety on YouTube, but I would argue, perhaps a bit nostalgically, that you have to dig harder to find it.
>>
>>69485345
>pure organic exciting art
So... Youtube poop?
>>
>>69485398
fuckin chocolate rain, lonelygirl, the Kiwi video, Shoes, Angry Video Game Nerd. Tons of small series channels like VanNuysGuys, Dylan's Couch, Waverly Flams. Too many to name
>>
>>69485482
You've given me examples of shit that's comparable to most fucking television and fucking memes. Not "pure, organic, exciting art". How the fuck is AVGN art? Jesus Christ you people need to read more, if you think YouTube mass media is cultured.
>>
>>69485398
2 girls 1 cup
>>
>>69485536
Seriously. Calling YouTube art is the most pretentious thing that I've ever read.
>>
>>69485451
To add to this, I would say that there is no question that today, content on YouTube is more corporatized and formulaic than it was during 06-09. Sponsorships are more common, people have camera crews and writing staffs to produce content... it's a much more complex and carefully planned operation for the top of the top, and given this reality, I can understand why someone would view the 06-09 era as being more organic.
>>
>>69485536
Well then you see how influential it's been. Besides I'm talking about it more as a whole movement of people on the same focus and wavelength as opposed to assessing the individual videos themselves as art.

People were mostly motivated to put videos up because it was new and exciting, and the could possibly be seen worldwide. It was that perfect low pressure environment. It was hardly money driven back then
>>
>>69485606
Except, you still haven't given any examples of something great being produced in this specific environment. Independent video art has been around forever, and YouTube didn't really aid that at all. Instead we got "vlogs" and we got abysmal video game content, not to mention, and I think most awfully, an absolutely horrendous approach to film critique (see; Nostalgia Critic and more recently YourMovieSucks) where it's just "LOOK AT THE PLOTHOLES! LOOK AT THIS ORANGE BLUE! LOOK AT HOW STUPID AND IRRATIONAL ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE" yadda yadda. Face it, democracy is worthless when the people are imbeciles. There is some good content, but no fucking quality "art" produced on YouTube. Did anyone make a really fascinating short film? Did someone do something interesting with the medium of short film?
>>
Balloonshop was well ahead of their time.
>>
>>69485398
King of the Hill youtube poops
>>
>>69485665
The examples I gave were videos and channels where people were being their pure unfiltered selves. It wasn't this tryhard bullshit like the stuff you mentioned, where you can tell NostaligaCritic is trying to inhabit this character that probably stopped being interesting to him years and years ago, and is trying to be entertaining/funny. The whole "are you entertained??!!" deal.

Did you even notice where I said 06-09? People didn't see Youtube quite yet as a competition market, where you HAD to be funny or refined to get to the top. They probably saw it as this weird new organism taking shape, and just made a video to feel the EXPERIENCE of making something and posting it online. Not the experience of being popular on that site yet. So they're relaxed and being their unfiltered selves. At the same time though, they care enough not to produce total shit, because there's the hope that the world might see them, and they give it a good effort. It had the perfect storm of variables.

I think it was glorious, MAN
>>
>>69485856
But can you give me some examples of this "pure unfiltered self"? Can you give me a link to some of this content? What was the best thing that came out of YouTube then? Again; just being your pure unfiltered self sounds like shitty vlogging. I remember YouTube in 2006-2009, and it was mostly fail videos and cringy people talking on webcams. I don't recall any great art coming from this.
>>
>>69485923
why would I do that for you? Either agree or not
>>
>>69486057
I am not omniscient, and I am curious about great stuff I might have missed. I don't know what I'm agreeing to, I'm just skeptical about this nostalgic view of youtube back then, cause I just remember it as like some offbeat, odd stuff, but I don't remember any truly great stuff coming out of it.
>>
>>69485923
youtube.com/watch?v=FAwR6wjqL_I&t=2s

youtube.com/watch?v=Mz8JoluFmck

youtube.com/watch?v=urZnJMJOc_0

youtube.com/watch?v=hQxitjn78D0

youtube.com/watch?v=sdUUx5FdySs

youtube.com/watch?v=bNF_P281Uu4
>>
>>69486134
wasn't me
>>
>>69486223
Aight, so you've got Waverly Films doing some pretty good sketch comedy. The VanNuysGuys video was okay I guess? I think I'm missing context for it perhaps, but thaẗ́s whatever. The Kiwi video is clearly not a product of YouTube, but of a class project of someone in some animation school. And that last one is the important example here; because all of this shit is stuff you can still find, it's basically what people do in film schools all the time, or just for the hell of it in college or hell even in high school. Nothing about those videos were generated because of what YouTube is. YouTube's major contribution was always the fucking vlogs and all that shit, but it did offer a platform for getting your stuff out there, and you could get some wider exposure. But it didnt generate any specifically interesting stuff as such, you can find all of this stuff if you go like a local university film festival.
>>
>>69485345
this isn't the culture board. /pol/ is the culture board
>>
>>69485345
>>69486747
no, /b/ is 4chan's culture board, you sods
>>
>>69486731
fuck you
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.