[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't the Stones 60's material more discussed on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Stones.jpg (49KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Stones.jpg
49KB, 400x400px
Why isn't the Stones 60's material more discussed on here? Their 60's catalog rivals the Beatles in quality. Albums like Aftermath, Between The Buttons, Out Of Our Heads, and Their Satanic Majesties are amazing, and extremely influential. Jagger / Richards as songwriters plus Jones' as a multi instrumentalist work perfectly together.
>>
I've always seen them as a singles band imo

Jumpin Jack Flash is their best song and one of the best rock songs of all time
>>
>60's catalog

it's great but Exile on Main St. is their best followed by Sticky Fingers. Moonlight Mile is possilby their best song
>>
The Stones were never as artsy as The Beatles/The Beach Boys, etc, and The Velvet Underground and the like do a better job of being edgy and "real" looking back so the Stone have kind of been ignored by this generation. I don't even know any wrong generationers who're passionate about their catalog. I'm not saying this to diss them, it's just a fact.
>>
>>69435260
Agreed Jumping Jack Flash is an amazing single. They were a great singles band, but they had a string of albums in the 60's that are amazing as a whole. Aftermath, Between The Buttons, Their Satanic Majesties is an amazing trilogy of albums. Also Beggars Banquet is one of their defining releases.
>>
>>69435291
This, Their early catalog is really overshadowed. Hopefully it will be rediscovered with the mono box sets. I have the vinyl box and the sound is amazing.
>>
The Stones are a blues band, it's a fucking miracle they got any recognition at all. Do you realize how far removed from mainstream blues is? For a blues band to be a household name like that is a colossal accomplishment. BTW did you know they released a new album literally today or yesterday (depending what time zone you're in)?
>>
>>69435291
Also the Stones were pretty "edgy" they were scene as a more gritty version of the Beatles early on. Plus all the highly publicized drug busts, Keith's heroin addictions, and Jones' final year and death
>>
>>69435333
Yeah I was reading about the new album, it's all blues covers right? I love the blues and R&B covers on the early albums, especially on the first two UK S/T albums
>>
File: Heh Frog.jpg (56KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
Heh Frog.jpg
56KB, 250x238px
>>69435260
>Jumpin Jack Flash is their best song

>not sympathy for the devil
>>
>>69435342
I completely understand that. What I'm saying is that in a lot of ways that edginess, or perceived edginess I should say, has been overpassed.
>>
>>69435278
>Exile on Main St. is their best
incredibly wrong

>Moonlight Mile is possibly their best song
this opinion is the mark of a true patrician

exile is overrated as fuck though

Sticky > Banquet > Bleed
>>
>>69435245
the stones in general are given too much media tabloid celebrity status bullshit and not enough respect for their music
>>
File: Heh_Frog2.jpg (18KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
Heh_Frog2.jpg
18KB, 250x238px
>>69435363
>sympathy for the devil is their best song

>not wild horses
>>
File: mfw.jpg (6KB, 250x226px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
6KB, 250x226px
>>69435363
>Not Gimme Shelter
>>
>>69435371
Yeah I can agree. Their edgy image wasn't as marketed or viewed as "artistic". Besides Keith's reputation, much of it is forgotten.
>>
You are not allowed to listen to one of the Stones or the Beatles from now on. Who do you pick to continue listening to and why?
>>
>>69435439
The Beatles. Sorry, I just find them more interesting/having a wider array of songs that appeal to my emotions.
>>
>>69435439
I'd listen to the Stones. I was very into the Beatles from ages 13-17, I loved every album, bought all the box sets. But all of a sudden I lost interest in them, I still enjoy them and think they were a great band, but I feel they're overrated. Recently I've been listening to the Stones 60's catalog, mainly the mono reissues, and I love it all, I don't think they put out a bad album in the 60's, even the chopped up American releases are great.
>>
>>69435439
Lol that's not even a choice, the Rolling Stones aren't even worthy of having their name on the shirt on a doll on the side of the cover of Sgt. Pepper's. For real though, they're both great bands but the Beatles are a quantum leap ahead of everyone else
>>
The Rolling Stones have never put out a good song let alone a decent album.
>>
>>69435517
Disagree. Depends which kind of sound you like more. Personally I'd take the Stones. Much prefer their raw bluesy sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiMMGC706SU

>>69435531
>
>>
>>69435245
Cuz snobby pricks here label it as "le dad rok xD"
>>
Aftermath is the best album of the 60s
>>
TSMR is one of the best album ever made.
>>
>>69435333
I listened to it at work today.
I'd give it an 8/10, but I'm big into blues so I'm biased.
>>
>>69435260
>>69435363
>>69435396
>>69435399
>not Paint It Black
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.