[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best 90s "rock" album. 75,000 views on yt. Repeate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

File: drive like jehu.jpg (205KB, 1413x1396px) Image search: [Google]
drive like jehu.jpg
205KB, 1413x1396px
Best 90s "rock" album. 75,000 views on yt. Repeater has 530,000. Spiderland has 850,000. What the ever loving fuck? Why isn't this a meme? Can we make this a meme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kYaEN06UYM
>>
5/10 desu
>>
scaruffi didn't give it a 9 for some reason
unwound also deserves more views
>>
>caring about youtube views
>babby's first post-hardcore album

Nope.
>>
File: 334.jpg (152KB, 1080x1306px) Image search: [Google]
334.jpg
152KB, 1080x1306px
imagine being stupid and underage enough to think being a meme is good

imagine being so underage you've just discovered Drive Like Jehu
>>
ok but why is that any better than Fugazi's stuff?
>>
>>69424017
sauce me sqwab
i want moar
>>
>>69423975

Unwound is more normie-core than DLJ. They actually wrote Nirvana-tier pop-grunge songs. Corpse Pose, Murder Movies, Laugh Track could've all been hits on 90s "alternative" radio.
>>
>>69424039

You like trap balls and inner thigh discoloration?
>>
>>69424024

Its a more solid album. Every track is good to great. More inventive song structures, chords, time-signatures. Fugazi has a handful of good to great tracks per album, then the last 2 tracks are usually god-tier.
>>
File: nicetry.png (10KB, 85x89px) Image search: [Google]
nicetry.png
10KB, 85x89px
>>69424083
2nd, IDM balls or dick but the latter of those choices is choice
>>
Polvo is the best post-hardcore
>>
>>69423926
Normies cant handle noise rock. They need a slow-talking retard going on and on about molly or a bunch of hippie douchebags making "indie" or w/e the fuck kids are calling it these days. The worst are so-called "metalheads" whose "metal" is just beating melody to death while squealing about hookers or the god of death or whatever other inane skull-and-crossbones buzzwords they can parrot. Dissonance is a lost art. Only a handful of artists even give it the time of day anymore.
>>
>>69424247
FINALLY I RECOGNIZE THE SHAPE OF YOUR SOUL
>>
>>69424247

Polvo's not bad. Some god-tier tracks def, but some shit as well. Ash Bowie's voice is also annoying sometimes.
>>
>>69424329
Lmao
>>
>>69424329

I like you.
>>
>>69423955

Is that your erect cock length/age senpai?
>>
>>69423926
>can we make this a meme
Memes come naturally, so no. That album is god-tier though, I don't care what any contrarian says. It's got spittle and spleen and everything a rock album should be. Relentless and cerebral too.

>Scaruffi 8/10
>pitchfork 9/10
>The melon displays it in his collection
>>
>>69424475

if Scaruffi gave that an 8/10, it must be 12/10

The melon showed it off in his vinyl collection, and he didn't know what he was talking about.

He said it came with a 7inch that were songs on the album, that they put on the 7inch to save space on the vinyl record or something.

Those were songs that were released as a 7inch single originally, and given as a bonus for the vinyl release of the album.

I doubt he's listened to the album more than 4 times. Most people show off vinyl to look cool, not to listen to the music.
>>
>>69424336

Polvo's better than Unwound and Fugazi, but not better than Drive Like Jehu.
>>
>>69423926
Stop this, please, you fucking autist. Drive Like Jehu is literally one of the most popular """"underground"""" bands of the 90s. Yes, even more popular than Slint everywhere but here. They were on fucking Interscope.

They're not obscure, not underrated and not worth making a thread about every other day just because you're 14 and it's the first post-hardcore album you were able to fully comprehend.
>>
>>69425387

Bullshit, 38 year old lurker here. Every indiekid/hipster in the 90s knew who Slint, Fugazi, Polvo, Unwound, Sleater-Kinney, Jesus Lizard were. Drive Like Jehu were not a "thing". The guitarist's other band Rocket From The Crypt were relatively popular but they were a different genre. I only found out that Drive Like Jehu existed after I found out about the Hot Snakes. So you literally dont know what the fuck you are talking about.

Being on Interscope just made it so indiekids wouldn't listen to it, and the normies that did listen to it didn't get it so they didn't spread the word about how good it was.
>>
>>69425645

Damn, so edgy.
>>
Memeplows, Memeplows, Memeplows
>>
This album is slowly becoming a meme - shit.
>>
>>69424329
Tell me about it. An ostentatious faggot screaming into a mic about eating aborted fetures with terrible double bass drumming and obnoxious guitar playing overusing tapping and sweep picking and power chords in the same harmonic or minor scale is just so tiresome
>>
>>69425645
You're not a 38 year old lurker, you've made this thread at least 10 times, and using the word "normie" automatically makes you under the age of 20.

>Being on Interscope just made it so indiekids wouldn't listen to it
Only "indiekids" listen to albums? Drive Like Jehu and At the Drive-In are two of the most popular post-hardcore bands precisely because they were on a major label. Fugazi is the only completely independent band that could touch them for popularity. Slint, Unwound and Polvo are popular here, but not as popular elsewhere (Slint are popular amongst musicians, though). Sleater-Kinney have nothing to do with this, and mentioning them just tells me you have no understanding of this genre and are just name-dropping shit you've seen mentioned on/mu/
>>
>>69426765

I was talking about popular indierock bands of the 90s, I didn't say anything about posthardcore.

Fugazi was extremely popular, constantly sold out 500-1000 seat venues.

Drive Like Like Jehu never played as a headliner at a venue that held more than 300 people in the 90s.They didn't really tour for their s/t. And they only played 37 dates in total during the spring/summer of one year to support Yank Crime.

http://www.setlist.fm/search?page=4&query=artist:%28Drive+Like+Jehu%29+date:%5B1994-01-01+TO+1994-12-31%5D

Thats it, they disbanded after that. They werent popular at all. They werent hyped at all. RFTC tainted the sheen of Drive Like Jehu because they were a poppunk-ish band with a corny horn section, so that turned off all the hipster/indierock kids to DLJ.

Rocket From The Crypt did 300 ppl venues as well, but had videos on MTV so they also went out on Warped Tour, other big festivals, world tours, and were the opening act for popular alternative rock bands.
>>
>>69426743

Its Steve Vai shit for brooders. Nerds/gamers that would've listening to Nine Inch Nails or Marilyn Manson back in the day, listen to that shit now.
>>
>>69427150

Dude, DLJ was the biggest band of the 90s.

Bigger than Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Chili Peppers, you obv dont know shit about music.
>>
>>69427150
>Fugazi was extremely popular
Right, that's what I said

>Drive Like Like Jehu never played as a headliner at a venue that held more than 300 people in the 90s.They didn't really tour for their s/t. And they only played 37 dates in total during the spring/summer of one year to support Yank Crime.
You seem to have acknowledged that their lack of a live audience is due to the fact that they didn't actually tour very much, so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here

>They werent popular at all. They werent hyped at all.
As we've established, they were signed to Interscope, and Hot Snakes built a career off DLJ's popularity. More to the point, they've gained enough posthumous recognition in the past 20 years that you can't really claim they're underrated or underheard in 2016, or think you're going to turn anyone new onto them with these threads. Everyone remotely interested in post-hardcore, noise rock, math rock, and punk in general has heard this
>>
>>69428549

>More to the point, they've gained enough posthumous recognition in the past 20 years that you can't really claim they're underrated or underheard in 2016, or think you're going to turn anyone new onto them with these threads.

>Everyone remotely interested in post-hardcore, noise rock, math rock, and punk in general has heard this

New people come to this board all the time, people who are into diff genres of music come to this board all the time.

Daily Grimes/DG/AnCo/Loveless/Spiderland circlejerk threads help those groups get new fans. Fantano videos help those groups get new fans. The point of this board is to discover new music (to you) and circlejerk about shit you like.

If its ok to shitpost j-pop/he's gonna be fine/ does anyone else like death metal?/beefheart/radiohead/ threads every 6 hours then I can meme/shitpost DLJ once every couple of days, because these kids need to get away from this shit-tier music like like to pretend to be cool here.
>>
DLJ is spazzy post-hardcore for people that can't handle actually spazzy post-hardcore like McLusky, Frodus, Fugazi on The Argument, etc.
>>
Don't worry OP, I like the album and this band. Don't let the shitters get you down.
>>
why is every other song like 10 fucking minutes?
>>
File: IMG_4667.jpg (18KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4667.jpg
18KB, 209x241px
>>69430352
>complaining about song length
>>
stop making this fucking thread.
>>
>>69426384
HAHA YOU SAID MEME!
>>
>>69430136
Everyone loves this album, its the fact that he wants to turn it into a meme that is pissing everyone off.
>>
>>69425910
Not him, but you clearly don't know what edgy is.
>>
>>69424060
I love both bands, but they're different beasts, DLJ is twice as precise and doesn't have the career arc unwound has, though there's a lot of growth between s/t and Yank Crime. Comparing songs like Corpse Pose or Murder movies to Nirvana and calling then pop-grunge is just incorrect, they don't sound alike or even follow the same structure as Nirvana tunes. Just because they use melody doesn't make them bad, and DLJ is super melodic, too.

Frankly neither of the bands are hard listening, their music is generally pretty easy to consume, it's meant to enjoyed, both have challenging or experimental moments that put them apart from the crowd, and Unwound has more of this, honestly. DLJ love to be crowd-pleasers, they can comfortably go to Festivals and go on US tours in-between their other bands' work. I saw them live in DC this year and Speedo put his guitar through his amp and tossed the whole thing, great show desu.

They are great, but you're just being obnoxious. I see this shit like daily now, which would be cool if it wasn't like, five people in every thread. I think Polvo might be better than both bands though, and they'll never ever reunite even since a member is dead.

I wish Unwound would reunite, especially since they just fucking reissued all their music and they're all still in good health. I mean, Justin still makes music, Survival Knife released a new album this year. Vern is raising his kid I guess who's probably like a teenager now assuming he's not an alcoholic still, and fuck knows what Sara is doing.
>>
>>69430136
There's maybe one negative post about the band/album ITT. OP is the problem here
>>
>>69430952

tee hee
>>
Bump for this extremely well known and much memed alt rock band of the 90s!

Everyone who posts on this board has heard this particular album 8+ times and loved everyone.

This album WAS THE MEME before Grimes and DG took over, right oldfags?
>>
>>69428549

>As we've established, they were signed to Interscope, and Hot Snakes built a career off DLJ's popularity.

Jesus Christ, dude. You read the bullet points on DLJ on wikipedia and you think have a fucking clue. Moving past the obvious fallacy within your argument (hurr signed to a major means instant popularity), no one knew or gave a shit about DLJ in the 90s. Hot Snakes didn't form because of overwhelming demand to reunite the Lennon and McCartney of Math Rock. Hot Snakes formed in 1998/1999 because John and Rick have been collaborating since the mid 80s and that was just the next excuse they made to work together again. In 1999 just as many people gave a shit about DLJ as they did in 95. It wasn't until 2000/2001 that bands like ATDR and Jimmy Eat World were getting big and citing them as an influence. I seriously don't get why you're arguing about something you clearly no nothing about.
>>
>>69432265

Thank god, I was waiting for someone to back me up on this. That dude was annoying as shit.
>>
>>69424335
I'M FLYING SOUTH WITH A RUNNING START
FROM THE ROOF OF MY HOUSE
>>
>>69430541
it's only a problem when the song is shit
>>
>>69433115

you have to see it to believe it, get your camera so we can queef it.

that ep is their best album.
>>
>>69429387
Those bands/albums are far less "spazzy" if you're referring to faster tempos and screechy vocals versus DLJ. The Argument is one of Fugazi's calmest
>>
>>69431182
Justin and Sara are currently part of a band called Nocturnal Habits, who released their debut album this year.
>>
>>69432132

They made a video for every song on both albums, and they were played on MTVs normal after school daytime rotation. They were bigger than Tool and Kid Rock at their peak. They had a huge rack of merch at every mall CD store. They headlined Lollapalooza for 3 years straight when it was a touring festival.
>>
>>69423926

Hot Snakes are better.
>>
>>69423926
Please stop trying to make this a meme, or if you're not, being a general autistic faggot. Yes it's good but fuck clean off.
>>
>>69433820

I cant be clean, the ink makes me so dirty, meme meme meme.
>>
Trombino should produce more stuff
>>
>>69434114

Yes, he is god-tier. He runs a donut shop in LA now, with band named donut varieties.
>>
bait plows. bait plows. bait plows.
>>
>>69423926
Good band. I'm glad they started touring again.
>>
>>69434563

They just sorta-broke up*. The singer/guitarist and guitarist's other band Hot Snakes just got back together to supposedly make a new album.

*Sorta means they'll prolly do more live shows in a couple of years.
>>
i cover me cock with black oink
>>
>>69433519

hmm is that so????
>>
>>69423926

better than ween, thats for sure
>>
>>69432265

this is truth
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (5KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
5KB, 480x360px
this was better "rock"
>>
>ywn be 17 and listen to DLJ for the first time again
Almost as good as when I was 16 listening to At the Drive-In for the first time
>>
>>69423926

angry teencore for iqs over 120
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.