[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are death metal, grindcore, and thrash metal rhythm-based

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 1472697468026.jpg (94KB, 500x563px) Image search: [Google]
1472697468026.jpg
94KB, 500x563px
Are death metal, grindcore, and thrash metal rhythm-based genres?

pic unrelated
>>
Nah, it's just a bunch of people playing as fast as they can while screaming, grunting, or squealing.
>>
they don't have to be.
>>
>>69327061
>being this much of a pleb
>>
>>69327040
Some isn't, though a lot of it is.
>>
>>69327077
Sorry, I'm not some psychopath, I prefer real music.
>>
>>69327158
You sound like an ignorant faggot.
>>
>>69327158
t. pitchfork-worshiping hipster nu-male cuck faggot
>>
>>69327204
>>69327224
Wow, so hardcore!
>>
>>69327040
A lot of death metal and grind core is, well early canibal corpse or deicide or napalm death
I suppose thrash is quite a lot too, really making me think
>>
>>69327436
I feel like thrash is definitely rhythm-based, even more than grind or death. It basically revolves around the rhythmic dynamic of the guitar, bass and drums. Best example I can think of is Blackened.
>>
>slow it down 50%
>play it in a reasonable tuning with less distortion

there's your answer. and, i think you'll find, it's a no. but then again, grindcore is basically edgy hardcore punk, so the question itself is moot
>>
All of them are rhythm-based, unless they're free-form fusion
>>
Metal is an extension of rock music so yes it is rhythm-based. The genres you listed are no exception. Do you like metal?
>>
>>69327614
>but then again, grindcore is [insert opinion here], so the question itself is moot [refer back to opinion for proof]
nice logic you loser. how does this make the question moot?
>>69327659
>Do you like metal?
Yes, do you?
>>
>>69327643
Good point
>>
>>69327224
>meaningless buzzwords: the post
>>
>>69327711
I do like metal. If death metal interests you then check out Decapitated, they're easily the best band in the genre.
>>
>>69327711
it's not opinion, it's history. and the history of the genre is literally rejecting rock conventions
>>
>>69327758
Thank you for the recommendation, honestly I love the other two genres I listed a lot but I've been trying to get into death metal for years and I've only been able to find a few bands that I really enjoy. Mainly Autopsy, Cryptopsy, Death, and the DM Carcass albums.
>>
>>69327771
What the fuck are you talking about? The statement "grindcore is basically edgy hardcore punk" literally means nothing at all. You stuck a buzzword in there and expected me to take it seriously.
>>
>>69327812
Good to hear, and not a bad starter selection at all. Glad Morbid Angel aren't in there because they're overrated to shit.

Start with Winds of Creation. Seminal album from some super-youngsters (all 20 or younger) that saved the genre from a fate of irrelevance.
>>
>>69327874
Sounds good, I added it to my library. Probably listen to it tonight while I stay up until 3 AM doing schoolwork.

I guess my issue with death metal is that I could never really get into the rhythm of it. Autopsy is a good example of something I immediately latched onto because I feel like it has some hardcore punk sensibilities in terms of driving rhythm and riffs. Could never really get down with the double-bass for whatever reason, I'm really not sure why. Always had more of an affinity for grind and thrash and I assume that has something to do with the hardcore punk influence, even though I'm really not into hardcore punk at all. Why do you think this is?
>>
>>69327946
If you're down with grind I don't know why you aren't down with death. Grind is basically speed-death, they have literally the same motifs in every department.
>>
>>69328002
The speed is what gives me the adrenaline rush and feeling of being powerful though, and that's what I'm looking for when I listen to death, grind, and thrash. I'm a big black metal fan too and I guess I can appreciate that better because it's so different from the genres I mentioned previously. Maybe I just gotta come at death metal from a different angle, I dunno.
>>
>>69328069
Yeah, a different angle sounds like a good way. I've re-discovered tons of music that I used to hate back in the day when I just offloaded all the shit I hot onto my ipod and then relistened to it years later.

However, I promise you Decapitated will keep your attention. They're exemplary.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.