[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't create an original tune/melody. My mind is incapable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: pepe in bed.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pepe in bed.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
I can't create an original tune/melody. My mind is incapable of generating one. When I try, I can only come up with things I've heard elsewhere. Is that normal? If I learned to read sheet music or play an instrument, would that help?
>>
>or play an instrument, would that help?
although remote I think it may just be a possibility

don't quote me on this though but theoretically maybe

I dunno it just sounds crazy enough to work
>>
>>69307812
I also wanted to know if this is normal. Your post implies it's not, though I don't know if you meant to say that.
>>
>>69307699
>I can't create an original tune/melody.
>btw I don't actually play an instrument
wut
>>
just fooling around on an instrument could help
>>
>>69307699
yes and yes

you're problem is that you aren't exercising the creative parts of your brain enough. if you spend to much time not making anything it logically gets harder to make stuff.
>>
>>69307825
I don't draw, but I can craft original images in my mind. I can't do the same with songs, is what I'm saying.
>>
How are you making music without playing an instrument?

doesn't make sense
>>
>>69307870
because melodies need context, to create at least

the first step of the vast majority of songs ever written is to simply improvise over a chord progression
>>
>>69307699
>I can't play an instrument
>why can't I create music?
lmao.
>>
I do that all the time. I'll 'create' a melody in my head and later realize I've heard it somewhere, which is why it sounds so familiar.
>>
make a basic chord progression then improvise a melody over that it's a lot easier then just making one over nothing, also just keep doing it and you'll learn which notes sound good with which etc.

basically just keep doing it and it'll get easier
>>
Youre being too conceptual! Get loose, clear your mind, and let ideas come in and use those. When you stay logical and conceptual its a downward spiral
>>
>dream Tool playing Lateralus at orange julius and the entire world is forced to attend under martial law
>it's some sublime, impossible math rock ive never actually heard (i had never heard lateralus either just read the p4k review)
>immediately wake up at 7am and listen to it and it's nothing like the dream but is just as amazing
>still wish i could hear the dream music
>constantly dream sitcom jokes and material for mass media in all different mediums and it's all semi-passable
receiving artistic content vs inception vs creating are all different and spooky things man
>>
>>69307699
you got an example? Most musical ideas are influenced by other musical ideas, nothing is truly original.
>>
Watch the travel channel, or the food network. Listen to the editing. And don't you hear it all around you in good conversation? A good conversation goes right onto the staff. A good song is invariably a good conversation.

It's not tough. New music is not going to happen for you, not for the most part. All you have is the ability to translate that which you hear. Don't be afraid. All you really have to lose is your apprehension.
>>
>>69307812
lol
>>
>>69310470
This is how you get cadence and rhythm. Not melody/progression.
>>
>>69307812
As a guitar player I have to listen to other instruments like piano to get me out of guitar lick hell.
>>
>>69311331
I felt my knowledge as a guitarist translated well to the piano

as long as I stayed away from the black keys

then I could usually fool people who didnt know any better but anyone who actually knew how to play would usually ask me stop eventually
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.