[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>whenever I play guitar for a period of time my left hand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1464.png (34KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1464.png
34KB, 633x758px
>whenever I play guitar for a period of time my left hand hurts
Is this bad? I've only been playing for 2 years so idk if it'll get better or if I'm fucked.
>>
If your hand is still hurting after 2 years you're doing something seriously wrong.
>>
>>69301535
What could it be though?
>>
>>69301604
Are you building up callouses at all?
>>
>>69301625
Yeah it's like pain inside my hand not on my fingers
>>
>>69301478
>been playing for 2 years
Isn't your hand tired yet?
>>
>>69301604
Possibly technique?

Head to your guitar store (vintage preferably since they know their shit) and show them your playing.
>>
>>69301641
How comfortable is your hand on the neck? Maybe you need a thinner neck and/or it's just a problem with the way you are gripping the neck
>>
>>69301670
This. Might help
>>
>>69301702
Now that I look at it it might be that when I play I kinda death grip it with my thumb and that might lead to it
>>
>>69301771
Your entire hand should be as comfortable as it can possibly be without being too loose. Once you find the perfect medium you should be fine.
>>
>>69301771
Your hand should also be a a slight angle. Not straight with the neck
>>
>>69301835
I usually scrunch up my thumb when playing high on the neck, if I just keep it straight much that help? Most of the pain in in the that area between my thumb and the first finger
>>
Sometimes after a while of playing my left thumb hurts because I think I squeeze the guitar neck too much without realising. Is it something like that, OP? Apparently the trick is to raise your wrist. Feels fucking unnatural to me.
>>
>>69302011
Many guitarists do that, look at Hendrix who even played barre chords with his thumb.

Maybe your practice sessions are just inconsistent and your hand/finger muscles aren't being given enough down time to develop properly.
>>
>>69302011
If your hands at an angle it makes it easier to not scrunch your thumb up. Plus it helps your playing not sound stinted
>>
not the same but i'm a drummer and when i play the bass drum too much my ass starts to hurt, is this caused by the angle of my legs? my stool is fucked and my knees are above my waist while i play.
>>
>>69302114
What angle should I be at ideally?
>>
>>69302118
That's just the pain of working out a muscle you otherwise wouldn't, probably at all. The exercise you do when playing the bass drum isn't too distant from a squat
>>
>>69302141
ok, it only really sets in after ~45 minutes of hard playing, just was looking for another excuse to get a new throne, i also keep hitting my thighs/knees playing the snare, but that's just b/c i've got shit technique.
>>
>>69302124
Like an 80 - 85 as opposed to 90 maybe even 75
It's just a slight angle but it makes all the difference
>>
>>69302209
Inwards or outwards?
>>
>>69302118
Try not burying the pedal.

sounds better too imo.
>>
>>69302231
Like an obtuse angle but obviously not that far
>>
>>69302254
>pedal

meant beater, obviously. I'm retarded
>>
>>69302118
>being this butthurt
>>
>>69301872
Not true. While it is more comfortable to play at a slight angle, some chords are simply not possible in this position. Most classical and jazz guitarists still play straight.
>>
>>69303070
Yes, some chords. Obviously sometimes you WILL have to play straight but most of the time in between those types of chords it can't hurt to just angle your hand between the ones where you need to straighten them
>>
>>69303203
There are some purists out there that will say that playing at an angle is an incorrect way of playing, but I don't really think either one is superior to the other. I do think it's best if you at least try to learn how to play it both ways however, just so you don't limit yourself when trying to play chords or difficult arpeggios.
>>
>>69303203
Ye I'm trying it out and I literally cannot play a G open chord without going to straight, but I do like it for other chords
>>
File: E-Major 7th.png (2KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
E-Major 7th.png
2KB, 200x200px
>>69303070
>some chords are simply not possible in this position

doesn't that also apply in reverse?

if you don't have long fingers, fingering and thumb muting pic related would be impossible without being angled
>>
>>69303414
Yeah, both styles have limitations, and you should probably just learn both once you get comfortable with one style.
>>
Yeah
>>
>>69301478
I've got oestio arthritus in my left hand finger joints, I thought it was finger clubing but apparently not. Probably the amount I practice. I've also got over developed muscles in my right hand. My guitar teachers hands are weird as anything, his left hand in huge from practice for 60 years, but his right hand's quite small actually
>>
>>69301535
I've been playing for 10 years and my hands still get sore. Not my fingers, my joints.

Stretch OP. Use a stressball.

>>69301641
What kinda guitar do you play?
Getting a strat changed my life.
Just the easiest guitar to play, strings bend like limp noodles, and the neck is pretty thin.

Maybe even a Mustang would be better, smaller scale right?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.