[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Hip-hop established a significantly different paradigm of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: photo.jpg (43KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
43KB, 900x900px
>Hip-hop established a significantly different paradigm of music-making. Shifting the emphasis from the melody to the rhythm was not simply an extension of what funk music had already done: it was a Copernican revolution that changed the very meaning of the word "song". The elegant melody of pop music was a negation of reality, whereas the intricate rhythms of hip-hop music was an affirmation of reality. Where melodic songs were, fundamentally, meant to offer a respite from the real world, a hip-hop song was a way to perform a total immersion into it. Pop music was about being a victim or a protagonist: hip-hop music was about being a witness. Pop music was about making storytelling memorable and mnemonic: hip-hop music was about making storytelling as coldly factual as news reporting. The sonic montage made possible by sampling techniques added a further dimension. Pop conceived art as order: hip-hop conceived art as chaos. As electronic devices replaced the traditional instruments, composition became a branch of engineering, and engineering became a way to reflect the chaos of the (urban) environment.

Is he right, /mu/?
>>
>>69262835
AND
>>
What's his highest rated hip hop album?
>>
>>69262981
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
>>
>>69262981
It Takes a Nation of Millions
8/10
>>
>>69262981

http://www.scaruffi.com/music/hiphop.html
>>
I really want to know his opinion on TPAB and Atrocity Exhibition. I have a feeling Atrocity Exhibition may get a 7.5 since XXX got a 7.
>>
>>69263907
It's tough to tell with TPAB. While it does have some interesting parts to it, it's also not that innovative. It's also got political ideology that he agrees with, but he may see it as pandering commercially. I can see a 6.5/10
>>
>>69263907
>>69263973
I'd say TPAB will get either a 7-7.5. Scaruffi's main complaint about hip hop is that it tends to focus too much on the lyrics rather than the music, which was his main problem with GKMC. TPAB was definitely more dynamic in its sound that GKMC, leading me to thing 7-7.5 would be appropriate.

I'm leaning towards a 7, since, as you said, it wasn't very innovative, but at the same time it's hard to tell.
>>
>>69264393
>>69263973
>>69263907

the fact that Scaruffi gave Old a 7 really baffles me, I like that album but I was expecting him to shit all over it.
>>
>>69264709
Scaruffi's pretty weird when it comes to what he likes, he can get really unpredictable (8/10 to fucking Janelle Monae)
>>
>>69264755

but The ArchAndroid completely fucking deserves an 8/10? It deserves a 9/10 honestly.

her other album can fly straight into the trash though.
>>
>>69263907
he gave Old a 7 too. I hope Scaruffi gives AE a 7.5
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.