[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any other album that was as influential yet tanked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: 808s_&_Heartbreak.png (63KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
808s_&_Heartbreak.png
63KB, 300x299px
Is there any other album that was as influential yet tanked commercially?
>>
File: nas-illmatic-billboard-510.jpg (310KB, 510x510px) Image search: [Google]
nas-illmatic-billboard-510.jpg
310KB, 510x510px
>>69257034
>>
>>69257074
This, also The Velvet Underground & Nico and Trout Mask Replica
>>
Was it that influential? It influenced Drake and The Weeknd somewhat but I didn't figure it influenced much else.
>>
File: OT-Genasis-CoCo-Video.png (152KB, 634x356px) Image search: [Google]
OT-Genasis-CoCo-Video.png
152KB, 634x356px
>debuted at #1
>went platinum
You call that tanking?
>>
>>69257089
Frank Ocean too
>>
File: faust.jpg (112KB, 600x595px) Image search: [Google]
faust.jpg
112KB, 600x595px
>>
>>69257105
Alright. Well that's a decent amount of influence. Not sure if it's anything extrodinary.
>>
File: Violent_Femmes.jpg (24KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
Violent_Femmes.jpg
24KB, 280x280px
>>
>>
>>69257105
if it influenced drake and the weeknd it by extension influences everyone biting those dudes style
>>
File: Metal_machine_music.jpg (57KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Metal_machine_music.jpg
57KB, 500x500px
Critics thought this was a joke album.
>>
>>69257762
I thought it was, tbf. Lou did a lot of stuff just because, without realising the impact hed have I think
>>
>>69257089
Probably Future
>>
Spiderland, Laughing Stock, Fun House, all 3 Nick Drake albums, all Velvet Underground, Astral Weeks, Gorillaz s/t originally went unnoticed until Clint Eastwood caught fire.
>>
>>69257214
This a thousand times
>>
File: PetSoundsCover.jpg (137KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
PetSoundsCover.jpg
137KB, 300x300px
>>
>>69257762
Well, it kind of was.
>>
>>69259739
This. It was big in the UK tho
>>
>>69259739
>>69259812
>tanked commercially
>>
>>69259890
in the US, compared to early beach boys, yes.
>>
>>69259907
Not true. Wouldn't It Be Nice, Sloop Jon b and God Only Knows were all big hits.
>compared to early beach boys
Not relevant
>>
What do you mean by tanked? Tanked as in didn't sell many copies? Or tanked as in didn't live up to commercial expectations?

Assuming the latter:
Laughing Stock & Spirit of Eden sold terribly for a band that was once a top 40 staple. The Colour of Spring as well but it's not considered as influential.

Horses and Marquee Moon were both influential albums by Patti Smith and Television respectively, who were both hyped acts out of the NYC club scene. Horses made it into the top 50 in the US and Marquee Moon made it in to the top 30 in the UK(!) but when compared to contemporaries such as Talking Heads or Blondie, the numbers weren't there.

In the early 90's Daniel Johnston was gaining legitimate popularity and was offered "the most one-sided deal for the artist" that his manager at the time had ever seen. Unfortunately Johnston was also in the worst phase of his life mentally around this time and turned down the deal by Elektra due to thinking Metallica (signed to Elektra) were possessed by Satan. Due to the pressure Johnston received by his manager at the time, he dismissed his manager as well. The deal fell through and Johnston ended up hiring a new manager and signing a new deal with Atlantic. Recording in and out of a mental institution, the album took too long to get out as popularity petered and only sold about 5000 copies. He was later dropped from Atlantic.
>>
>>69260357
Sorry, the Daniel Johnston album was "Fun"
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.