[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In theory, metal is today's real rock and roll--the music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
In theory, metal is today's real rock and roll--the music of the people. It's basic, it's rude, kids love it, parents hate it. But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory it seems. Metal isn't basic--it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content. The dreams it promulgates are usually foolish and often destructive. 80% of the "people" who like it are male, and 98% of them are white.
>>
Did Christgau really write this and put people in quotations or are you memeing me
>>
>>69211956
Yes.

https://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/vr/decline-118.php
>>
>>69211853
>metal
>music of the people
out-of-touch retard
>>
>>69211853

Post-modernist clap trap
>>
is he wrong?
>>
>>69212035
MADMAN
A
D
M
A
N
>>
>>69212035
Oh my god

What did he mean by that
>>
He has a misguided idea of nostalgia over how rock and roll in his childhood in the 50s spanned racial and gender lines while metal doesn't, but actually this is far from true...not a lot of girls were into Chuck Berry and Little Richard. They liked Elvis because he was cute and sang love ballads, but beyond that...
>>
>>69212035
metal listeners confirmed for subhumans
>>
To me, pub rock was fundamentalist rock & roll: humble and righteous. Others saw it as derivative, but even where they had an argument, I felt that the old truths held, and to be conscious of their history was a good thing. Fact was, rock & roll had a rich history by then, and that history should be fertile ground for more rock & roll -- as Dave Edmunds and Marshall Crenshaw were to prove. And, indeed, pub rock did prove to be important, but more as an incubator for the likes of Nick Lowe, Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, and Graham Parker, than as a style. Indeed, it never was much of a style: just an offhand "don't mind rockin' tonight."
>>
>>69211853
>98% of them are white
>directly means the "dreams it promulgates" instantly become less "foolish"
>implying that's a bad thing

FUCK THIS OLD ASS NU-MALE MOTHERFUCKER
>>
File: 1474685169063.jpg (25KB, 524x399px) Image search: [Google]
1474685169063.jpg
25KB, 524x399px
robert christgau more like robert christgay
>>
>edgelord being mad at an edgelord genre

confusing senpai
>>
File: Christgau Elvis.png (116KB, 1563x313px) Image search: [Google]
Christgau Elvis.png
116KB, 1563x313px
In which Christgau admits to having deep-seated insecurities because football jocks used to kick his ass in high school.
>>
In theory, Robert Christgau is today's real rock and roll critic--the critic of the people. He's basic, he's rude, kids love him, parents hate him. But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory he seems. Christgau's reviews aren't basic--they cultivate a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content. The dreams he promulgates are usually foolish and often destructive. 80% of the "people" who like him are male, and 98% of them are white.
>>
>implying christgau is wrong

metal sucks
>>
>>69212056
Can you read?
>>
>>69212138
In the context of the paragraph, he meant "music of the people" in an inclusive way then puts people in quotes later because it's actually made for a narrower demographic.
>>
>>69213721
Oh, that makes sense.

He's hard to read sometimes.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.