[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did this album set the bar so high for shoegaze that it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: mbv-loveless.jpg (128KB, 922x915px) Image search: [Google]
mbv-loveless.jpg
128KB, 922x915px
Did this album set the bar so high for shoegaze that it killed the genre?
>>
this album is terrible
>>
Nah it's people's perception of this album that killed shoegaze. There's some kind of bullshit mindset spurred on by rumors of how this album was made and from some of the noises used in the recording to make it feel like it's this sophisticated record far above the rest of shoegaze when none of that is even close to being true.
>>
File: 1472089975829.jpg (485KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1472089975829.jpg
485KB, 1200x1200px
it's the best shoegaze album (and probably the greatest album of all time)
the genre didn't die tho, there are other very very good releases, such as pic related
>>
>>69181741
ya know, as much as I love drone, EAI, and other traditionally 'boring' music, I could never bring myself to listen to this all the way through.
>>
>>69181858
but... shoegaze isn't traditionally "boring" music
>>
Slowdive > MBV
>>
>>69181984
I'm saying I like traditionally boring music and this is hella boring to me. I don't really like shoegaze.
>>
It's such an overrated piece of trash. The sounds used just don't go together to form a pleasurable, meditative wall of sound.
>>
>>69181741
No, Blur and Oasis killed shoegaze
>>
File: ride.jpg (10KB, 220x217px) Image search: [Google]
ride.jpg
10KB, 220x217px
But this is by far the best shoegaze album of all time, with Going Blank Again at second best.
>>
>>69181741
No because there is a lot of better shoegaze.

MBV is the most overrated talentless tripe in all of modern music. Kevin Shields and his diaper wearing cohorts should be hanged publically; bowels out.
>>
>>69181845
You're the only shill I can tolerate because that album is really good.
>>
>>69181741
Its one of the most repetitive albums in the genre. Almost every song does the same shit over and over again. At least every song does something different with noise though, most shoegaze albums have the same noise obscuring every track
>>
>>69181741
one of the most overrated shoegaze albums in existence. you'd know this if you weren't a fucking pleb that's only heard 3 shoegaze albums.
>>
>>69182603
>>69182793
>>69183078
>>69183095
can you rec good shoegaze albums then?
>>
>>69183162
Yeah loveless

Everyone you quoted are just contrarian shits that think they're special for not liking the album
>>
>>69183196
kinda got the same impression anon but i'm trying to get some recs anyway i don't know much about the genre but i like listening to it
>>
>>69183162
lush-gala
>>
>>69181858
The very best in those "boring" forms of music do stuff similar to Loveless but at a far more sophisticated and intellectually stimulating level so it's no surprise.
>>
>>69183162
Airiel's first four EPs
LSD and the search for god's EPs
Slowdive's first EP
The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa-Pigment (EP)
Yo La Tengo-Painful
>>
>>69181789
the fuck are you on about you rambling retard
>>
>>69181741
Kinda, but you're looking at it the wrong way. Shoegaze may be a mediocre genre outside of MBV and Slowdive (don't get me wrong, there are some other great albums) but they are also significant for how they influenced artists outside of the genre. In trip hop, post-rock and even prog and metal, for example.

And then there's the fact that shoegaze (and dream pop for that matter) is really just a small subgenre of psychedelia. There's nothing done by MBV that wasn't more or less already done by Loop.

At the end of the day, shoegaze is more a set of techniques than the genre. The "genre" is generally filled with bands who just try to replicate MBV's sound without bothering writing good songs, but outside of the genre there are plenty of artists that applied those techniques to their own music.
>>
>>69183334

That last paragraph perfectly explains why there isn't another Loveless in the genre or at least something that matches up to it
>>
>>69183162
>>69181845
also:
sweet trip - v:d:c
flying saucer attack - s/t
pacific uv - s/t
oeil - urban twilight
lovesliescrushing - xuvetyn
astrobrite - crush
forsaken autumn - whenere
half string - a fascination with heights
barlow - fell asleep
>>
>>69181845
Can someone upload this album for me ? Found it on youtube, it's awesome, but I didn't find any working download link. Thanks.
>>
>>69181741
Someone concisely explain why this album is good
>>
>>69184184
great pop songs + amazing sounds + emotion
>>
>>69181754
>>69182091
idiots
>>
>>69183277
None of these are better than Loveless.
>>
I'm disappointed by it because I expected an ethereal wall of sound and got dissonant whammy shit.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.