[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ride are not shoegaze U2 were never post-punk Oasis never had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ride-nowhere-photo.jpg (68KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ride-nowhere-photo.jpg
68KB, 1000x1000px
Ride are not shoegaze
U2 were never post-punk
Oasis never had 2.5 million people apply for tickets to one of their concerts
>>
>>69161730
Oasis were a one hit wonder
>>
>>69161730
Ride'd first album is literally Shoegaze, the second one is kinds shoegazey.

U2 is basically post pop punk

Oasis sucks

1 for 3 boyo not bad
>>
>>69162021
>Oasis sucks
that's not what he said thouh
>>
>>69162021
You're definitely right about Ride.

U2 is tricky, in that they were very catchy and poppy in a new wave kind of way, but they still had elements of that post-punk sound (leading bass, expansive chiming guitars), plus they had a fairly clear Television influence. While I think they were awful, I'd call them poppy post-punk, rather than your label, because that label is already being used for something very different (think The Thermals). U2 may be poppy, but their sound is very remote from early pop punk groups like The Undertones, Buzzcocks, Generation X, Ramones, Stiff Little Fingers, etc.

Early U2 were kind of like a post-punk version of The Police's new wave
>>
>>69162164
>Early U2 were kind of like a post-punk version of The Police's new wave

So what did that make the Clash?
>>
>>69163528
I guess punk rock/pop rock.

The problem with categorizing The Clash is that they are really from that era before there was a singular, identified punk sound. If you listen to Joe Strummer's original pub rock band, The 101ers, The Clash at least in part really sound like a continuation of that - Strummer never lost the rockabilly/R&B element of that. But The Clash were really into reggae, which definitely influenced them, plus the poppy new wave sound was part of the punk movement, and they wrote some great pop songs in that style. Plus, with stuff like Rock the Casbah you can tell they were getting influenced by disco/house/hip hop, so some of their later songs even sound a little dance-punky, à la Gang of Four.

So yeah, I say punk because their first album was pretty standard for the first wave and they were definitely part of the early movement, but also pop punk because their commercial aspirations are obvious.
>>
>>69161730
OP has never not been a faggot
>>
>>69162021
Funny since Going Blank Again is much better than Nowhere
>>
>>69164162
Skim through Ride's entire catalog. It becomes obvious that as Ride became more competent musicians, they moved further and further away from shoegaze, until they were basically a "classic rock" throwback

I prefer Nowhere to Going Blank Again... Going Blank clearly had better written songs, but Nowhere sounds a lot more empassioned
>>
Oasis is literally the best rock band in the world.

Troll harder.
>>
>>69163991
/thread
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.