[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This thing is bad. I understand that I might have been considered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: images(4).jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
images(4).jpg
11KB, 300x300px
This thing is bad.

I understand that I might have been considered good when released but now it's just bad.

The real question is why people keep pretending to like it and that it is somehow the best album in the world
>>
>>69155936
What do you not like about it?
>>
>>69155963
It's boring, it's overplayed, even the "backpack rap" thing is bad(in this album, honestly backpack rap should be the rule not a this stupid autotune shit) and just sounds like someone trying to give a discuss over some basic beats.
>>
>>69155936
because idk, maybe people have different opinions then you.
>>
>>69156017
What was the worst track for you? Asking out of curiosity.
>>
>>69155936
i cant understand anyone finding the production or lyrical content on this boring. The imagery Nas uses is just so fucking cool
>>
>>69156048
I don't have a worst one, but the only one I didn't find that bad was represent
>>
File: IMG_2874.jpg (1MB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2874.jpg
1MB, 3000x2250px
>tfw you've been a hip-hop head your entire life
>boom bap, to 90's New York, to G-funk, to indie rap, to chopped and screwed, to experimental hip-hop, to bling era, and everything inbetween
>but you only appreciate illmatic for its beats and even then think it's overall a 6.5/10
>>
>>69156017
>It's boring therefore it's bad
And there it is, how predictable. This is the only criticism you can come up with, a subjective opinion? It's the same with pretty much all the detractors of this album; I've still yet to find someone who can coherently argue why Illmatic is bad. Come back when you can actually argue why Illmatic is bad using legitimate criticism.
>>
>>69156201
(Not him) Why is boring not a legitimate criticism?
>>
>>69156201
i agree, it has enough timeless production and lyricism to entertain anyone that's a fan of 90s rap
>>
>>69155936
What are your favorite hip hop albums?
>>
>>69156201
Oh yeah isn't like music is made to entertain people, sure boring isn't a bad thing at all.
>>
>>69156242
Good Kid M.A.A.D City
MDTF
The blueprint

In that order
>>
>>69156327
oh
>>
>>69155936
Every beat is hot, lyricism and flows and punchlines are great, and its varied enough in tone to be consistently interesting. You're too used to gimmicky hip hop f a m
>>
>>69156327
...I gotta be honest.
I like your tastes.
A lot.

Have you listened to Reasonable Doubt?
>>
>>69156216
Because it's subjective. What may be boring to you may not be boring to another person. Personally, I understand why people might find Illmatic boring, especially if you're coming from newer hip-hop or other genres of music where the instrumentation is the focus of the music rather than the lyricism nine times out of then. You can find Illmatic boring, that's fine, but it's the poor wording of the opinions of people who use "boring" as a criticism that piss me off. It's not "I THINK X thing is shit because it's boring, " which I'd be fine with, it's "It's shit because it's boring." They try to mask their emotion-based opinion as legitimate criticism of the merit, or lack thereof, of something.

This is in the same vein as me telling you, "I like Illmatic because it's fun." What's that going to tell you about the album in question? How is it in any way an informed opinion? How will my opinion help you discern whether Illmatic is right for you or not? How will it educate you on the specifics on what makes it good or bad? "It's shit because it's boring" is not only an opinion trying to masquerade itself as truth, but it also is completely unhelpful within the context of discussion and recommendation of media, and that's my problem with it.
>>
>>69156419
Alright, thanks for the clarification.

(I asked because I HAVE called albums boring but I don't think I worded it like that).
>>
>>69156419
Illmatic is fire, you and op are pleb af
>>
>>69156479
He wasn't saying it was boring. He was explaining why boring was a bad criticism when not worded properly. Cmon man....
>>
>>69155936
someone who made that now appears as a guest on justin bieber albums
>>
>Illmatic
>bad
Just leave /mu/ guy.
>>
>>69156499
Fuck outta here it's one of the best hip hop albums of all time
>>
>>69156561
It was unrelated to the album, christ...
>>
>>69156448
No problem. Another issue I have with said statement is that when it's brought up in discourse, it's a brick wall to discussion. What am I going to say to you if you say you find something boring? The most I can do is ask why, you state your reasons why, then I possibly say I find those things interesting, and then we go on our merry way. How is this a fruitful discussion? This is like trying to argue politics with someone whose political opinions stem from their emotions or empathy. There's no mutual understanding or learning to be had. You won't change their opinion no matter what, and they won't change yours, so the discussion is fruitless. It's just "I don't like this." "Oh yeah, well I like this." "Okay, bye." The terrible discussion that results from someone saying "It's shit because it's boring" is boring in and of itself, and that's the third problem I have with it.
>>
Nas is overall very technical on this record in terms of gauging his flow. You don't hear him be super fast or anything too wanky like that, but he brings in a wider variety of rhythm through flow than the three hip hop albums you labeled as your favorite. But I personally think this is not where you have beef with the album.

You probably have more beef with the production considering how minimal and sparse Illmatic's production style feels compared to your favorites and just modern hip hop in general that's far more maximal and big beat. I definitely do feel that a lot of older hip hop albums are dated because they only used the minimal production style because it's all they could do at the time. That being said at least I think it works fine on this album and a few others because of the atmosphere it brings where there's no sense of bombastic excess at all, giving a closer representation of the life situations/places these guys originate from. In the modern day though, the older minimal production definitely feels like an acquired taste.
>>
>>69156593
Very interesting. Thanks again.
>>
>>69155936
if you don't like this album, it's because you don't get it. i wouldn't say "leave /mu/" or "you're not a real hip hop fan." i'd say come back to it in 6 months or a year. every song isn't god-tier in my opinion. but there are 4-5 songs that are god-tier to me. there's a different 4-5 songs that are god-tier to a different hip hop fan. and so on. that's what makes it GOAT.
>>
>>69156592
Godson across the belly i prove you lost already
>>
>>69155936
i'm not into hip hop but i'm loving it so far, this so.... 90's? i like the 90's feels
>>
>>69158229
70s actually
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.