[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>listens to music >not listening to greatest hits albums

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: 1476539470668-fit.gif (130KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
1476539470668-fit.gif
130KB, 400x350px
>listens to music
>not listening to greatest hits albums

Greatest hits are literally the artist's best work. Why wade through multiple albums when a greatest hits album has the best songs, in terms of both quality and success in sales
>>
Got em
>>
How will I flaunt my patrician tastes, then?
>>
there are only like 6 - maybe 7 - artists with greatest hits albums though
>>
>>69155779
Because Greatest Hits albums are collections of artists' most popular songs, meaning they're the most memorable and catchy, not the best.
>>
I would prefer to listen to the albums and form an opinion rather than someone telling me "This is their best"
>>
File: Lou Reed - Ecstasy.jpg (19KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Lou Reed - Ecstasy.jpg
19KB, 500x500px
>>69155779
Because listening to albums is more fun
>>
>>69155796
Plebs choose an artist's most well known album

Contrarians choose the least popular

True patricians eschew the rigid concept of "albums" and listen to greatest hits: "albums" that contain only the best of the best
>>
>>69155822
Lol what
>>
>>69155826
>>69155854
/thread now fuck off
>>
>>69155933
absurdly wrong
true patricians don't listen to the music, they analyse huge quantities of written reviews to determine their own opinions

>>69155972
what's the matter, friend?
>>
>>69156004
this> >>>> THIS and so much this
>>
Only GH you listen to instead of the whole discography is Queen
>>
>>69156004
There's much more than 6 artists with greatest hit albums. Nice b8
>>
>>69156004
wrong
while it's true that they don't listen to the music, true patricians don't need the reviews of others either
>>
Albums are ideally conceived having some overarching motif or feeling that the musician/band wants to communicate to listeners. You can listen to greatest hits but you wont get all of the substance of those songs without their albums' context
>>
File: question-mark-man-2533303.jpg (169KB, 1122x1300px) Image search: [Google]
question-mark-man-2533303.jpg
169KB, 1122x1300px
>>69156031
tell me more.. you have my attention
>>
>>69156003
The thread hasn't ended at your /thread, making you both wrong and a pleb lmao

>>69155826
If a song is memorable and catchy enough to be in a greatest hits, then it's objectively one of their best, hance "greatest hits"

>>69155854
It's a universally agreed upon opinion that an artist's greatest hits are in fact their best. You don't form opinions in the face of facts
>>
>>69155779
>>69155933
Why would you listen to some glorified playlist holy shit.
If you really want to cut the filler out you can listen to an artists entire discography, choose the songs you like and put them in a playlist.
>>
>>69155822
Have you been listening to music for like, two weeks or something?
>>
>>69156135
well 6, maybe 7, weeks to be accurate
>>
>>69156058
Isn't years of high-quality songs provided for the listeners enough of a context? It's actually a better context, since a greatest hits album captures the reality of time and quality, for these attributes beyond the artist's humanity or whatever "theme" a single album has
>>
>>69156108
>It's a universally agreed upon opinion that an artist's greatest hits are in fact their best. You don't form opinions in the face of facts
This is the plebiest thing I've ever read, congratulations. There is no such thing as a "universally agreed upon opinion". Show me any Greatest Hits track list and I'll show you a track that doesn't belong there and one that's missing.
>>
>>69156116
Time is of the essence. A wise man once said long ago that listening to terrible music deteriorates our very being, and wastes our only non-renewable resource: time
>>
>>69156182
Man why read a book by an author when you can read a collection of memorable ecerpts from his entire body of work?
>>
>>69156149
Pretty sure anon meant greatest hits as in an album that is nothing but actual hits, there are only a handful of artists who have enough of those to fill an album.
Correct term would be best of, but who gives a shit?
>>
>>69156199
That would fall into the realm of "your opinion"

And that often fits perfectly in the realm of "doesn't matter"
>>
ITT: Everyone falls for low-quality b8
>>
>>69156214
You're gonna miss all of the hidden jems. Or just songs that appeal to you as an individual that other people don't think are as good.
>>
>>69156220
Exactly!
>>
>>69156245
>These are universally agreed upon
>except the people who disagree, their opinion doesn't matter
>>
>>69156108
Holy fuck get off this board right now you absolute dumb ass

Most popular songs are popular due to marketing and exposure. If the radio plays a song or YouTube features a music video, those songs are bound to recieve more attention than the other songs off an album that don't have a music video or aren't on the radio. The fact that you don't understand this proves you're a degenerate retard and have no reason to even be on this board. Now fuck off.
>>
>>69155779
The only artist i listen to who even has a greatest hits album is bowie, and his albums are generally slightly conceptual and worth listening to in one go, also i can easily make a playlist of my favourite songs, so why should i buy a playlist someone else decided on for me
>>
>>69156227
i was trying to say in a very roundabout ironic memey way that the number of artists who are well known enough to actually have greatest hits albums is staggeringly low compared to the number of artists in total, so the question is a bit moot unless you limit your musical horizons hugely. astounding that people didn't get this desu.
>>
This only applies to Queen and only because their albums fucking sucks.
>>
>>69156277
>falling for the bants
Enter with an insult, you'll get taken seriously for sure

>>69156305
See, there's a reason why the songs are used in radio or featured music videos: because they're the best. Shitty songs won't get attention, okay songs won't stick with the listeners. Any schmuck can get lucky with one hit song, but to fill an extensive list of greatest hits shows the greatness of the artist
>>
>>69156182
I guess you could view a well-assembled gh album as a highlight reel of sorts. Depends on what you are looking for in your music. I enjoy reading into artists' lives and seeing how their mental states at any given time affect their output via whole albums.
>inb4 "pretentious"
>>
>>69156408
And songs which will fall in line with the taste of the general public are somehow the best? I'm not some kind of edgy pretentious fuckwit but come on, don't you know how stupid most people are and how arbitrary their tastes are?
>>
>>69156421
Great point, not pretentious at all. Greatest hits can be generous with the amount of songs in them, so a looser chronological track order that pays attention to mindset will give something close
>>
>>69156471
You're displaying traits of edginess and pretentiousness and fuckwitness friend.

You're applying thinking to music, which is an art form that is predominantly "felt". If an artist can put out a song that can strike a chord with people while maintaining quality, then that is one of their best songs.

As someone in the field of advertising, I recognize that the depth of emotions a person innately has is nothing basic
>>
>>69156220
Bad analogy, anon.
>>
>>69156579
Even if I disagree with him, in theory it makes sense
>>
>>69156579
That's a perfect analogy, you're really going to denounce his counterargument as a "bad analogy?" FUCK OFF
>>
>>69156503
The cure's gh album is a good example of what im talking about. Robert smith put it together himself and it follows all the different stages of The Cure roughly chronologically. Gives you a big picture sense of the band's lifecycle, but if you like deep-dives youre better off listening to albums
>>
>>69155779
Just because a song is popular doesn't mean it's the best from that artist. You must be either majorly autistic or baiting. Probably both.
>>
>>69155779
>best works
I am sure greatest hits is referring directly to the commercial/sales performance
>>
>>69155779
(((you)))
>>
>>69157347
>>69157527
>>69157697
Stop bumping the thread please
>>
>>69156560
You seem to be assuming that music should be visceral because the public at large likes it that way.
>>
>>69155779
'""""Greatest''''''''' hits album
>>
There are certain bands who are a "greatest hits" album type of band though

e.g. The Tragically Hip, The Guess Who, mostly classic rock bands
>>
>>69156320
How about the Isley Brothers?
>>
>>69156019
you dont listen to queen
>>
>>69155779
I know this is bait, but it's actually true for a lot of pop and pop rock artists. A lot of the time their album material is just filler and not really worth listening to.
This idea doesn't apply to, say, Bowie, but it does to, say, Pat Benatar.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.