[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My friend and I got into a discussion about the difference between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1467791828273.gif (175KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1467791828273.gif
175KB, 500x375px
My friend and I got into a discussion about the difference between post-rock, post-hardcore, and post-punk. What do you guys think are the differences? Are there differences?
>>
yes. a few generalisations, but broadly speaking post-rock is just a specific brand of experimental rock music focusing on atmosphere, post-punk is a large branch of experimental rock with its history in punk music of the 70s, and post-hardcore is basically post-punk but with stemming from american hardcore rather than 70s punk.
>>
>>69093618
Franz?
>>
>>69093670
I see so post hardcore is generally metalcore shit? I guess I always thought post-hardcore could consider Fugazi and the like. Like what exactly would you call Sonic Youth? I find them to be a lot like post punk and post rock then
>>
they're all the same: arbitrary so-called subgenres of popular music to make people think popular music is more varied and diverse than it actually is

the same people that buy into this shit are the same people who classify all non-english speaking music under "world"
>>
>>69093742
some people consider metalcore and the like post-hardcore, but i don't really have a lot of experience with it since it's not my thing. i'd say it probably falls under the umbrella of post-hardcore.

yeah fugazi, unwound, etc. are pretty much my exemplar bands for defining post hardcore.

sonic youth are a tough one, i'd call them noise rock to avoid confusion as it's the least ambiguous label, but they could probably be called post-punk seeing as they had roots in no wave which was inherently a punk-motivated movement
>>
I imagined that each post-genre is like the music that would happen in a world where only the original genre existed. Like post-rock is when only normal rock existed and the music that would exist after it. Post-hardcore is like the music that would come after hardcore music. Obviously that's not possible but I'm just using it as a convoluted way to say it's music that is inspired by or empathizes with the genre it takes its name from but is a movement forward from there.
>>
>>69093618
The Post-Hardcore label is now being used for shit metalcore/emocore/whatever the fuck its called now bands, so I kind of wish the "original" post-hardcore bands like Fugazi and Unwound could just be put under the Post Punk label.
>>
>>69093779
>>69093779
>>69093779
/thread
>>
>>69093779
>>
>>69093779
That's what I said, but the dude I was talking to is sort of an autist that thinks wikipedia genre names are the end all lol
>>
>>69093618
>post-rock
Ambient rock pieces that deconstruct rock music. Typically longer than your typical song.

>post-hardcore
Similar to hardcore, except more mature/lyrical/experimental. Not to be confused with metalcore, which many metalcore artists have tried to use this label to distance themselves from the stigma of the metalcore genre.

>post-punk
Deconstruction of punk. Usually has punk song structure but is more darker, slower and experimental. Usually has deeper vocalists singing.
>>
The post-punk sound in general can be described as sparse, angular and wiry guitars set to dub-influenced basslines. It took the anti-establishment mindset and energy of punk and set it to a more refined, musically accomplished soundtrack.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.