[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come people say noise isn't music but no ever says the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

File: merzbow.jpg (65KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
merzbow.jpg
65KB, 350x350px
How come people say noise isn't music but no ever says the same about ambient/drone? They're pretty similar.
>>
>>69081759
>>69081759
noise is not a genre, it's a style
>>
>>69081759
Noise is literally antithesis of music
>>
>>69081759
It's literally in the name anon it's "noise"
>>
>>69081925
ok but what about ambient/drone? it's practically the same as noise but people call that music?
>>
>>69082004
It's music because it obviously has a melody.
>Nevertheless this is some good bait you have going on here anon
>>
>>69082120
You're correct. however music doesn't need a melody to be "music", therefore even noise is music, as un-musical as it is.
>>
>>69081759
>They're pretty similar.
kek. call them crap or good but no, not the same
>>
>>69081759
>>69081773
>>69081810
>>69081925
>>69082120
>>69082638
READ
A
FUCKING
BOOK
>>
>>69081759
this is what no one seems to get. Noise is not even really that hard to get into if you approach it in the same way as ambient: based in texture, atmosphere, and dynamics.

if noise doesn't click, listen to it quieter.
>>
>>69083085
not an argument
>>
>>69083085

no u tripshit

sage
>>
>>69083085
friendo pls
>>
Because of the name mostly. And that it's loud and harsh generally, while ambient/drone is the oppopsite

>>69083163
also this
>>
>>69081759
Noise is interesting music without melody, rhythm, or harmony. It still is organized sounds, which is the most basic definition of music. Ambient or drone are appreciated in a similar way, though ambient can have rhythm, melodies and harmonies, ambient is pleasant and drone is meant to be dissociative and more hypnotic. Noise is great, but most people can't appreciate it.
>>
Actually, it's been proven that male born people have a predisposition to liking harsh noise. I'm not saying girls can't or don't, but they are the biological exception to the rule. My cousin
>>
Everyone itt needs to hear merzbuddha or any of the similar albums merzbow did
>>
>>69084123
merzbuddha is the only good melodic thing merzbow did
>>
>>69083976
Fugg, I saw this exact text posted on one of those /mu/ meme pages on Facebook that I totally don't subscribe to.

Is it a pasta or something?
>>
The challenge of noise is being memorable without melodies, harmonies or rhythms. Almost no noise achieves a capacity to perplex, confuse, scare and above all surprise and entertain. Good noise is as attractive and immersive as any good other kind of music.
>>
>>69084199
literally 10 seconds of googling showed me it was a pasta
>>
>>69082638
Yeah essentially its artistic music regardless of lacking melody and song structure
>>
>>69084123
>everybody itt needs to hear merzbow's album most divergent from noise to truly understand noise
>>
>>69083085
filtered
>>
>>69084730
its a good entry point dood
>>
Ben frost is only good noise musician
>>
>>69081810
>>69081925
>>69082120

Jesus Christ when did /mu/ become so fucking full of plebs and newfags?

I'm not implying noise music is amazing or anything, but it /is/ still music.

Fucking retards.
>>
>>69084823
My bad, misinterpreted your point
>>
>>69083163
This post is literally antithesis of noise
>>
>>69081759
music is organized sound
>>
>>69083085
autism
>>
>>69084909
lol
>>
>>69084876
Mu has been full of plebs and newfags for a long fucking time my dude
>>
Harsh noise listeners ITT explain yourselves.
>>
>>69085568
it sound neato
>>
>>69083163
nobody enjoys listening to noise you pretentious moron.
the only thing good about noise is when it's cleverly implemented into songs. anything else is just babby finding out how to turn the EQ knobs for the first time.
>>
>>69085667
>nobody enjoys listening to noise you pretentious moron

Nah I definitely enjoy it. It's not for everyone though.

Listening to it is like listening to ambient music for me. You can put it on and let it sit in the background, or you can concentrate on it and enjoy it's textures and subtitles. And just like ambient music, there is a ton of shit in the genre. It's because conceptually it is a really easy sound to create.

You can take anything, put it through a heavy compressor, pitch it up, distort it, and call it noise music. But it doesn't make it good. Just like with ambient music, you can sit there, find a default pad sound and reverb effect and play two notes over the course of 10 minutes and call it ambient. But again, it doesn't make it good.
>>
>>69081759
It's aiiight. I feel like I always have to convince myself to """"""""appreciate"""""" it though.
>>
>>69081759
What does this qualify as?

>Rainer Veil
https://youtu.be/qX_1AdQUE4U
>>
>>69086269
I think of it as a spectrum between noise and tonality, on one side you have merzbow, on the other, la monte young

You're not wrong though, they share similarities
>>
>>69085667
>listening to things because you enjoy them
>>
>>69086330
That's a better way of putting it.

Either way I think it's a spectrum of sound many people don't really have exposure to, so they can feel pretty lost.
>>
Why do people think noise doesn't have rhythm or melody? Its completely dependent on the branch of noise your listening. If your considering just harsh noise or experimental noise then yeh this assumption is almost acceptable.

As for OP's question, yes noise is music, pretty obvious idk why people say it isn't, its just music that uses noise distortion. Noise differs from drone in that its usually has notes at higher freq and shorter sustain times. Also ambient/drone is more minimal.
>>
It's funny that plebs would say Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima isn't music, but in the context of The Shining for example, they would say that it's movie music.
They cannot comprehend the idea of listening to actual horror music on its own.
>>
>>69083085
What book?
>>
))))))))))))
))))))))))))
))))))))))))
))))))))))))
))))))))))))
>>
post some noise senpai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPGBIVpBx5M
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.