[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people say stuff like speakers and amplifiers from the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Why do people say stuff like speakers and amplifiers from the 80s and 90s, including the cheaper one, are usually better than today's high end equipment?
>>
>>69003060
I dunno if that's true but they're usually, no worse. The 60s was apparently the heyday of audio gear.
>>
>>69003060
I've read that that was when companies stopped putting money into sound development technology and decided to mass produce for the least common denominator, rather than audiophiles.
>>
I've got a pair of Dynaco A10's that were my father's. They probably don't sound as "accurate" as my Shure or Sony headphones/speakers, but they have a very natural/warm/comfortable sound that is just wonderful to listen to for hours and hours. Language can only go so far; if you hear them you can tell right away that they're different from modern speakers.
>>
>>69003060
No idea, but they are actually really good for some reason. On the other hand, they don't really present the actual audio as it is, old amps and stereo systems add their own signature sound to whatever's plugged into them. This is especially true with guitar amps. I could recognise a Sunn Model T easily.
>>
>>69003060
no one says this, cheaper stuff from the 80s and 90s is cheap shit, it didn't get better because it got old. However, there is a lot of older equipment that is fantastic, and if you look at how much it cost when it was new, and put it into today's money, you'll see it cost a fortune.

Something built with the best components was often built to last, so a lot of old superior equipment lasts into the present and creates the illusion that there was a time in the past when everything was good- but it's illusion, all of the cheap shite has already fallen apart and become uncommon.
>>
>>69003060
All I know is that my Avid 103's ran me for $120 bucks and they sound better than my SennHD650's with my Schiit stack.
>>
idk but it isnt true. thats not to say old kit is bad but to say old stuff is better as a blanket statement is just bollocks. it is true that theres a lot of low end modern gear thats really shit because it became possible to make stuff like an mp3 player and some shit ear buds or a basic pair of active speakers etc for pennies so people bought them and were disappointed that they were shit. also a lot of low end gear from 30 years ago probably doesnt work any more anyway so maybe theres a higher proportion of good quality stuff still working?
but also stuff degrades, particularly capacitors which are important in amplifiers and speaker crossovers, if old stuff still has all its original components it wont sound like it did when it was new.
going back a little further, before cd there was no need for cheaper speakers to be as extended into the treble range as they are now because cheaper sources didnt go that high so old speakers tend to have a warmer tone that some people find comfortable to listen to
>>
>>69003060
Cost efficiency and planned obsolesence Had not hit full gear yet, brands sold by making quality products better than the competition.

Nowadays brands sell by name alone and profits are amplified by cutting manufacturing and material costs.
We simply aren't making the best products we can anymore. Merely passable enough to keep the price tags on.
>>
tubes make shit sound nice
>>
They didn't make the equipment to replicate the original curves and numbers the best.
They made the equipment based on what sounded the best to the ear.
>>
>>69003060
Because they're retarded. If they were talking about the 60s and 70s they might actually have a point.
>>
>>69004669
>Avid

>Tfw the company founder was a close family friend and his personal home stereo system now sits in your living room since he gave it to you when he was clearing out his condo in Warren, RI just before he died.
>Mfw is was just an upper mid-range Onkyo/Technics setup from the mid-80s because he cared too much about the music he listened to allow himself to get autistic about audiophile-fidelity in his personal listening.

I get a little misty eyed just thinking about it.

His kids got the speakers though, now I run a pair of Optimus/Realistic Mach Two's
>>
They are built better in my opinion. It's really cliche, but it has been true in my experience.

Also, if it breaks, it's somewhat easy to fix.
>>69007059
>avid speakers
I've heard of them, but I never actually looked into them. I never realized that they were made in my home state, in a town that neighbors mine.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.