[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys I want to get into beat making, so which one is best to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1474659888804.jpg (121KB, 765x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1474659888804.jpg
121KB, 765x1000px
Guys I want to get into beat making, so which one is best to start out with?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKAI-Professional-MPK-Mini-Performance-ready/dp/B00IJ6QAO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478705827&sr=8-1&keywords=MPK+mini+mkII

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKAI-Professional-MPD218-Ultra-Portable-Bus-Powered/dp/B0116X17JW/ref=pd_sim_267_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5JYQ425B8BAR4JWS8DDR

>pic unrelated
>>
Depends on what you're making/needing/is more comfortable. It's worth remembering that all MIDI controllers are just workflow items at the end of the day since everything can be done with mouse and keyboard.

If you're focussing on percussion, sampling, trigger events etc. the MPD is probs better. Pads are very nice.

Again, depends on preference, workflow and what will most efficiently facilitate what you're after musically.
>>
>>68969575
Also if you're only just getting into it learning the workflow and capabilities of your chosen DAW is far more important, as well as being familiar with what sounds are at your disposal.
>>
>>68969580
I'm looking into making old school beats.
so they're probably gonna be quite sample heavy, and another thing that appealed to me on the mkii is the synth, where i can also produce basslines
>>
>>68969596
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONegB899cqQ&index=6&list=LL-9tarAaCSFu6veaHxoJE5w
i also found this video in my recommended the other day, which is the main reason i looked into the mkii
>>
>>68969607
Remember, MIDI controller =/= synth. The synth will be in the software and there's a stupidly large variety of digital synths available.

Looking at it now, you'd probably be best off with the mkii just so that you have both pads and keyboard at your disposal. The biggest part of moving forward from there though is learning your DAW and experimenting to find what you like the most.

Have you settled on a DAW yet?
>>
>>68969641
I also wanted to ask about that
I've been using FL Studio for some other stuff, and I've pretty familiar with it

also before I wasn't sure if should I refer to it ask a keyboard or synth so thanks boss
>>
>>68969660
All good. Just finished a 3 year degree in Music Tech so I'm pretty familiar with it all.

Honestly I haven't worked with FL much but from what I've seen it's very much optimised for beats. Ableton is always worth checking out, lots of excellent functionality for loops, samples and performance, as well as really good integreation with MIDI devices (fundamentally the same as basically every other DAW, just more accessible and intuitive). Go to workstation for most modern electronic producers.
V expensive though.
This is a biased opinion though since every performance I've done is with Ableton.

Either way, stick with whatever appeals to you most. Look at what's out there when you're ready though. Learning your main workstation inside and out is a must though, and as lame as it might sound,reading manuals will take you far, whether it's for keyboards, synths, plugins, DAWs etc etc
>>
>>68969730
I think if I get the controller, I'll use FL and get familiarized and such.
Maybe when I'm comfortable in the future, I can check out another DAW or something.
Plus, I won't be using many plugins and stuff like that, since what I want to do doesn't really use special effects, mostly sampling and drum kits
>>
>>68969879
Fair call, sounds like a good approach. I wish you all the best :)
>>
>>68970352
thanks for your help my dude :D
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.