[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which instrument takes the most skill to play and why is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: Pearl-SSC924XUP-full.jpg (518KB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
Pearl-SSC924XUP-full.jpg
518KB, 2500x2500px
Which instrument takes the most skill to play and why is it the drum kit?
>>
the tr-909
the uilleann pipes
>>
>drumfags actually think this
its the sitar or the theramin
>>
>>68939230
holy kek. i literally can play most songs on the drums and i picked it up a month ago.

hardest instrument is easily oboe/violin. super super steep learning curve, literally takes years before you even can make a note sound good
>>
>>68939621
What songs can you play?
>>
>>68939638
most rock songs. the only stuff i can't play is complicated fusion/progressive rock stuff and some complex jazz shit

literally any rock song is easy as fuck
>>
>>68939882
King Crimson, Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa???
>>
>>68939993
Uuuh yes of course?? you must be a retard to play like that so i am the most qualified to play shit like this
>>
>>68939882
you dont listen to a lot of music do you
>>
>>68939882
Drums are super easy to pick up but have an incredibly steep learning curve after you learn a few basic beats. Yeah you can probably play some Weezer songs but you likely sound like garbage and have no concept of subtlety.
>>
>>68940025
Confirmed bait
>>
>>68940074
you need to have monkey spaghetti arms so its cool because my mom used to hit but then her arms grew and i yelled and begged and screamed at her to stop but she wouldnt stop but its okay i got the monkey spaghetti arms i can eat from 5 feet away when your ass on the seat i grab under it and the nuts to get some juice but yeah im a good drum set polater
>>
File: IMG_4569.jpg (35KB, 369x369px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4569.jpg
35KB, 369x369px
>>68940025
>retarded drum playing
>King Crimson

wew lad
>>
As a drummer, the drums are fairly simplistic so lang as you're not retarded.

The Guzheng is the hardest thing I've encountered. I have one and it naturally sounds pretty good plucking on it and making melodies, but theres so much more skill required than a violin.
>>
>>68940047
>you likely sound like garbage and have no concept of subtlety
[citation needed]

drumfags are so insecure
>>
>>68939993
that falls under "complicated fusion/progressive rock" you idiot

i'm saying shit like any indie rock, the strokes, interpol, is easy as fuck
>>
>>68939230
Helicopter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ykQFrL0X74
>>
>>68940025
holy shit fucking x yourself, moron
>>
>>68940572
i was the one who said the first thing and that wasn't even me, idk why he posted that
>>
>>68940479
>admitting he can't play all types of rock
>>
File: 1473373496154.png (129KB, 272x362px) Image search: [Google]
1473373496154.png
129KB, 272x362px
>>68939230
>drum kit
>instrument
>>
>>68941517
>actually thinking you can play The Black Page by Zappa

yeah i guarantee you can't. only like 3 drummers were able to play it correctly

some rock is obviously hard
>>
ORGAN
>>
>>68940443
No, he's right.
If you knew anything about drums you would know, but you clearly don't.
Try transcribing and playing anything off of Four and More by Miles and make it sound exactly the way Tony does. You'll learn real quick how little you know about the drums.
That doesn't even take into account modern drumming either which has evolved a step beyond Tony too. So good luck convincing any drummer outside of yourself you're "good" for playing back in black.
>>
>>68945864
modern drumming has gotten unbelievable. It's like there's been an arms race among jazz drummers over the last 10 years.
>>
>>68945864
i've made it abundantly clear that i can't do jazz drumming, because it's infinitely harder than rock drumming

my argument was that it's incredibly easy to pick up the drums and be able to play most rock songs (which isn't the case with basically any other instrument in rock bands)
>>
>>68945922
I love it. With each coming generation being exposed to the newer breed of chops and conceptual ideas for playing the more and more ridiculous the up and coming dudes will be. Mike Mitchell is a great example of young blood chops blow everyone away. Just think about when Eric Harland, Ari Hoenig, Jeff Tain watts (though he's already Kinda old) are the modern day equivalent of Elvin, Tony, and Roy Haynes.
>>
>>68939230
The difficulty of drums can very hugely depending on the kit and the style so it really depends. Like with most instruments, you can make it difficult or you can make it easy. One thing that is tough about being the drummer is that in a live band, the drummer has the most responsibility to be competent. If the guitarist is bad hardly anyone notices, if the drummer is bad the whole thing unravels.

>>68939621
I'm not familiar with how to play oboe (though I love the way they sound) but I can definitely agree on violin. Violin is god-tier hardmode.

Of the instruments I play, I'd rate the difficulty as mandolin (goddamn tiny frets) > piano > guitar > bass
>>
>>68945979
are they all in the same discussion? Elvin Tony and Roy Hains are cream of crop rite_fam. You get points for breaking ground not just being old and talented all due respect
>>
>>68945937
Sorry to burst you bubble but being a drummer =/= rock drumming.
I can play hot cross buns on just about any instrument I can hold, doesn't mean that instrument is easy because I can play this one thing.
Drumming comes with the responsibility of knowing and being able to play at will any style of music and genre that is asked of you.
I don't just play jazz, I play funk, Afro-Cuban, blues, rock, disco, hip-hop, 2nd line, Latin, punk, electronic, etc etc etc.
drumming is a lifetime of work to get good at and it's hilarious to see plebs try to diminish this fact cause lol u can play a back beat xD
>>
>>68946074
I'm not a drummer myself so I can't really comment on the difficulty but I've always been impressed by a good drummer. Not having to worry about tonality is certainly an advantage but having to be a total master of rhythm makes up for that in difficulty, I'll bet. And I can only imagine how much time it takes to learn to do complex fills and flourishes while also keeping time.
>>
>>68946074
>drummer =/= rock drumming
but it literally does. if that were the case then 90% of drummers aren't real drummers apparently.

just because you're a proficient, supposedly well versed drummer in different genres doesn't mean that the minimum required skill to play in 90% of bands isn't less with drums than it is with guitar, bass, or vocals
>>
>>68946023
Elvin, Roy, Tony, Higgins, among many of the older cats broke ground in their time. The younger generation is always doing the same. I'm not sure what you're trying to say but no one disputes (at least in my circle of peers, all people I go to school with, my professors etc) the contributions masters made to the music and the instrument. Those guys are old but are full of knowledge that comes out in their playing and know shit that would take decades of experience for you or I to fully understand.
>>
>>68946111
A good drummer is aware of what's happening harmonically. A good drummer can sing a melody and play over/play time over that melody at the same time. I'd encourage anyone to sing and play drums at the same time. Your voice is your 5th limb and requires another level of coordination that most people don't even bother trying to shed because it's so difficult.

>>68946169
You really don't know what you're talking about, and that's okay. But I'm not going to bother typing out an essay for you, you can figure it out for yourself (or not, whatever) I'm going to nap.
>>
>>68946351
>You really don't know what you're talking about, and that's okay.
just admit that it's fucking easy to play drums to a weezer song
>>
>>68939882
Silly anon, the White Stripes isn't all rock music.
>>
>>68946351
>But I'm not going to bother typing out an essay for you, you can figure it out for yourself (or not, whatever) I'm going to nap.

Don't forget to drink some cum and take that dildo out of your ass before you go to sleep!
>>
>>68946454
That's cute. Remind us again how knowledgeable you are on drums despite you never playing the instrument.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.