[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could someone explain what is the real difference between art

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

Could someone explain what is the real difference between art music and popular music? Why art music is generally considered better than popular music? What are the objective criteria?
>>
There is no "criteria", you just intuitively know. Carolone, No is a better song than Baby. We all know that.
>>
Popular music is music for people who go with the flow.
Art music is for drowned corpses.
Trust your nose.
>>
Pop is just washed down bottlenecked music under the bad excuse that normies are too stupid to appreciate music that is more dynamic and complex
>>
Art music is written to be performed, popular music is recorded and sold commercially
>>
>>68900416
There is such a thing as a mix of both?
>>
>>68900537
>Carolone, No is a better song than Baby. We all know that.
Why comparing it with Baby? Why not comparing with a good popular song like Enjoy the Silence?
>>
>>68900627
But how could you be sure about that? Let's be real: most artists want to sell their music. Just because they want to make money based on their music it means their music is no more art?
>>
>>68900586
So, do you imply that more dynamic and complex = art? What about art music that sounds simple?
>>
>>68900416
There's a huge gray area between art music and pop music but there tends to be a difference in intent. Art music is composed and performed for its own sake, it tends to be musician's music in regards to its intended audience, and it is studies academically. Pop music (and I don't mean this negatively) is meant to sell. Again, the gray area is huge--many classical composers were very popular and famous, and many pop musicians have written works with great artistic merit.
>>
>>68900791

OP implied that art music is considered better than pop music and that implies a higher amount of dynamic-substantive and complexity
>>
Because the main object of pop music is to make money. they will remove certain lyrics or instruments if the label doesn't think a majority audience will accept it.
>>
>>68900416
Art is subjective, and the wrong word to use.
>>
>>68900904
But how could you know they did that? What if that was the original vision? Why couldn't you enjoy a music piece for what it is?
>>
>>68900416
Here are some interesting video on the topic:
https://youtu.be/IP0wuwJBdMI
https://youtu.be/OO1FkrAG3gg
https://youtu.be/bT9LUiWXkyo
A decision to make pop music is a business decision, rather than an artistic decision. There are very few musicians that approached pop music from a non business related standpoint and still made something interesting.
Here's an interview with Robert Wyatt and Richard Coughlan (Caravan) discussing how pop music influenced them, without making them play mere pop:
https://youtu.be/lZ8zYI6ZQGI
>>
>>68900416
Art music is written down on sheet music and popular music isn't
>>
>>68900994

Why do you think that? I'd rather say that pop music is written theoretically while art music is mainly improvised.
>>
>>68900966
I enjoy pop music like the smiths and tears for fears
but the stuff thats playing in the top 40 written by 4-5 different writers or max martin. is made exclusively for profit
>>
>>68901056
I just picked that idea up from somewhere, don't remember where.

I don't even listen to classical so don't take my word for it.
>>
>>68900756
Yes, but the main difference is in fact whether something is sold as a recording or as written music. I'm not saying popular music isn't art, just answering your question by giving you the commonly accepted explanation. It's not a matter of opinion, really.
>>
>>68900814
This is probably the best answer. Let's wrap it up boys.
>>
>>68901060
>but the stuff thats playing in the top 40 written by 4-5 different writers or max martin. is made exclusively for profit
Does it really matter the purpose for what it was made?
>>
>>68900416
Art music= stuff i like

Popular music= anything I don't like
>>
Art music is just something that tries new things, expresses artistic passion. It doesn't necessarily have to be obscure, or commercial, or noncommercial. Only posers think top 40 is inherently unartistic. These are the same tasteless hacks that think les ranuillez dereddit are "art", whereas something like the beatles isn't.
>>
>>68901536
>Does it really matter the purpose for what it was made?

Yes, because it influences the matter of music in a drastic way.
>>
>>68901685
/thread
>>
>>68900627
Completely false. Musique concrete/field recordings are intended to be listened to as a recording. And plenty of art music that relies on production manipulation
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.