[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I might get shit on for posting this, but why is Pet Sounds regarded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: beachboys.jpg (697KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
beachboys.jpg
697KB, 800x792px
I might get shit on for posting this, but why is Pet Sounds regarded as highly as it seems to be? Don't get me wrong, I love the Beach Boys and grew up listening to them with family, but I always figured they were just a nice catchy sound. Listening to Pet Sounds in full recently hasn't cleared this up at all. What am I missing, /mu/?
>>
Keep listening to it until it clicks. It might take a while but it'll happen.
>>
File: Louis-Armstrong.jpg (28KB, 356x450px) Image search: [Google]
Louis-Armstrong.jpg
28KB, 356x450px
>Maaaaaaaan, if ya got ta ask, you'll nevah know.
>>
>>68887192
Glorified barbershop quartet music

Borrows alot from black doo wop and baroque music. Fuck Brian Wilson and fuck Beach Boys fans
>>
Pet Sounds sucks. Listen to their first few albums instead. Surf rock>pop
>>
normies will NEVER -EVER- understand this album

if you dont 'get it' youre too fucking normal

now fuck off
>>
>>68887294
go to bed mike
>>
>>68887273
That's what I'm afraid of, anon. I'm genuinely really curious why it's so well regarded but for the life of my I'm just not able to understand why. Feels like I'm locked out of something great, which is shitty.
>>68887247
on my fifth listen, anon, but I'll keep going. like I said, i love the beach boys. I could never get tired of their sound.
>>
I'm more or less in the same boat as you. A lot of people seem to have blind spots when it comes to this band and I kind of envy them. Because I think the thing with the Beach Boys is you have to pay attention to the right aspects of it and totally ignore the others. For example, if you focus on moments like the fade-out of God Only Knows, or those harmonies on You Still Believe in Me, you're gonna have a great time. If you start to notice parts like "SOMETIMES I FEEL VERY SAD/SOMETIMES I FEEL VERY SAD/SOMETIMES I FEEL VERY SAD," not so much.
>>
>>68887309
It's true. I'd rather listen to their Chuck Berry rip off tunes than their LSD bullshit any day for the simple reason that the latter doesn't sound as good.
>>
>>68887296
shit, you got me, anon. brb hanging myself for begin such a normie. ^:(
>>
File: 4bb.png (487KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
4bb.png
487KB, 900x900px
>>68887344
FUCK OFF

THIS IS IMMENSE BAIT

SOMETIMES I FEEL VERY SAD, IF YOU DONT GET IT, AAAHHHHHHHH

FCUYK YOU LITTLE GEN Z FAGGOT
>>
>>68887380
I'm almost 30.
>>
>>68887405
Then you have no

NO

excuse for not relating to brian

Listen, and i mean LISTEN to the music

He's not just saying that line to be goofy or silly

I'm platinum mad right now

REALLY listen to that song and shed any preconceptions of "cool" lyrics
>>
instead of just saying here's your reply i guess i'll say it and explain it to you

here's your reply

1. wilson was a genius in production and arranging - his vocal harmonies are designed to mask the ridiculous difficulties and intricate counterpoint he includes in them - essentially appealing to people who know little about music and those who understand everything that he's laying in the tracks

2. wilson was the first producer to use the individual studio as his instrument and his particular sound was completely unique and others failed miserably at trying to copy his exact sound

3. created the genre avant-garde/art pop out of his desire to create the perfect album and competition with the beatles
>>
>>68887427 I think a part of my problem is the moment I hear the vocal harmonies, my mind goes blank and all I'm thinking is "this is such nice music" even though I'm listening to these lyrics talking about shit that clearly runs deeper than I'm able to delve while listening. I'm able to pick out deeper themes and analyze other music without a problem, it's just this sort of thing that catches me in between "I want to listen to this because it sounds nice" and "what exactly am I listening to?"

either that or I am just a normie pleb with shit taste
>>
>>68887426
I don't think he did anything on it to be silly, with the exception of the title song. That line just really takes me out of it, especially repeated so many times. I don't hate the sentiment at all. And on the whole, Times is a solid song—they all are, with the exception of maybe Here Today, which is sung stiffly by Love and is kind of obstreperous anyway.

Other minor gripes like this I have are the generally whiny way he sings Caroline, No, the kind of dour affect on Don't Talk, and some poorly-delivered aspects of Brian's lines in That's Not Me.
>>
normie pleb with shit taste
>>
>>68887549
fair enough, I won't argue on that point
>>
File: 1477633994955.jpg (138KB, 512x683px) Image search: [Google]
1477633994955.jpg
138KB, 512x683px
Give the smile sessions a chance too if ya can. I prefer it to Pet Sounds even if it is unfinished.
>>
>>68887192
read the wikipedia article
>>
>>68887427
>2. wilson was the first producer to use the individual studio as his instrument and his particular sound was completely unique
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Spector
>>
Okay so this is what Brian Wilson recommends: listen to it in a darkened room with your eyes shut on headphones. Good ones. MFSL stereo version.

Also take LSD or shrooms or smoke some weed. He won't recommend that, but do it anyways. It's not that you *need* them to make it good (you won't after doing it once), but people today are so fucked and distracted by external bullshit and the goddamn internet that they don't have the mental faculties to see the closed-eye visuals that this album is supposed to provide without some good old fashioned 5-HT2A agonists. Enjoy complete inner peace and love for everyone around you.
>>
>>68887192
>why is Pet Sounds regarded as highly as it seems to be?
Acclaimed so plebs can feel patrician. It just is pop but it gets hailed as some sort of art-pop or experimental rock, when it isn't.
>>68887296
This is a normie album.
If you "get it" you are the normie - or rather, failed normie.
>>
>>68889263
>anon thinks he's clever dissing on Pet Sounds
>>
See, the problem is you can't OBJECTIVELY name an album better than it.
>>
>>68889574
abbey road
>>
>>68887192
You're listening to it in the context of today when it was created in the context of the 1960s. People have been imitating it for almost 50 years.
>>
I don't really buy the idea that it takes multiple listens or coming at it from a different angle to enjoy it. Although the music itself took some effort to produce, it's pretty easily consumed. It's got beautiful harmonies and melodies, with original arrangements and lyrical themes that are easy to relate to. Personally, I fell in love with it instantly on my first listen. If after several listens you don't think it's that special, maybe it's just not really your thing. There's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>68889278
>>
>>68890617
thats as good, not better
>>
>>68889212
>stereo version
'no'
>>
File: i_came_here_to_laugh_at_you.jpg (26KB, 395x459px) Image search: [Google]
i_came_here_to_laugh_at_you.jpg
26KB, 395x459px
>>68891129
if briwi cant listen to stereo, then NO ONE CAN
>>
File: brian_talking.gif (1MB, 178x173px) Image search: [Google]
brian_talking.gif
1MB, 178x173px
>>68891129
can someone tell me whats good about mono?
ive always thought of stereo as "the interesting version" and mono as "the boring version"
im a pleb though, so take that into account
>>
>>68891915
The album was produced to be in mono. It's really as simple as that. When you're listening to the stereo version, you're not listening to the Pet Sounds that Brian was creating.
>>
>>68887192
listen to smile
>>
>>68887192
I listened to it once on a tricky acid comedown, and it totally rescued me; thanks Brian!
>>
>>68889263
No to all of this.
>>
File: twopersonalities.jpg (471KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
twopersonalities.jpg
471KB, 1000x600px
>>68892011
pet sounds for good acid trip
smile for bad acid trip
>>
Pet Sounds is my favorite album, personally.

I love Brian's chord progressions, and his interesting percussion choices (I Just Wasn't Made for These Times comes to mind).

Also, his arrangements and ability to weave in and out of keys is amazing.

Check out Til I Die for a great example of everything I like in a Brian Wilson track (minus percussion)
>>
>>68887296
> one of the most popular albums of all time
> not for normies
>>
>>68891952
No it fuckin wasn't, lol. It was recorded in stereo, just like Smile.
>>68893024
SMiLE gave me a beautiful acid trip.
>>
>>68894524
>No it fuckin wasn't, lol. It was recorded in stereo, just like Smile.

is this bait?

>A true stereophonic mix of Pet Sounds was not considered in 1966 largely because of mixing logistics.[145] In spite of whether a true stereo mix was possible, Brian intentionally mixed the final version of his recordings in mono (as did Spector). He did this because he felt that mono mastering provided more sonic control over the final result, irrespective of the vagaries of speaker placement and sound system quality.[145][nb 23]
>>
>>68889263
>gets hailed as some sort of art-pop or experimental rock

no it fucking doesn't. everyone who hates pet sounds or OKC says this shit like everyone who's listening thinks it's some super out there experimental album.

it's phenomenal baroque pop/sunshine pop songwriting. it did push the boundaries of rock though, and had many experimental qualities for a top 100 album. and it was super influential to tons of genres in the decades afterwards
>>
>>68894645
He doesn't think this way anymore. The Beatles believed that shit too. Brian approves all of the stereo mixes himself today. Phil Spector is a nutjob.
>>
>>68894792
okay. "It was recorded in stereo" is still a dumbass statement, and completely wrong.

also brian also said he wasn't on full house in the 80s, so i don't really care about his opinions today. he's also deaf in one ear so he's never actually heard the stereo mixes, so idk how he could "approve" them anyway. you could provide a source as well
>>
>>68894792
Why was the final Smile release also in mono then?
>>
File: JUST.png (2MB, 1038x1021px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
2MB, 1038x1021px
>>68893193
til i die is great
something about it doesnt sound like a beach boys song to me though, i think its just too sad
>>
>>68894868
It was mic'd to have multiple instruments separated, rather than the whole band playing onto one tape track with two tracks left for vocals. That's what Phil Spector did. The SMiLE sessions were like that too, to an even greater extent because they were using 8-track tape. That's why every single backing track on all of the discs after the first one are in true stereo. It's also why the original SMiLE cover design has the "new improved full dimensional stereo" label on it. It was originally slated to be released in stereo. Brian's engineers worked in stereo. He dubbed to mono. There's an interview out there where he says he just imagines what stereo would be like, and that's how he makes it. I believe it was related to his 2004 Smile release. Here's Mark Linett's Pet Sounds Sessions liner notes on the mixing of the album. He did it with Brian's oversight.

http://albumlinernotes.com/Recording_Mixing_Notes.html
>>
>>68889574
Blonde on Blonde
>>
>>68887287
Objective truth here. The elaborate ruse created by /mu/ that the beach boys are good has to be one of the best trolls on all of 4chan
>>
>>68895605
right up there with the NMH meme
>>
>>68887287
but barbershop quartet music and doo wop and baroque music are all good so i dont get your criticism
>>
>>68895605
Yup, /mu/ was the one who made up the Beach Boys are good meme.
>>
>>68890637
this here. when listening to music from the past you have to listen to it in context of the time it was released or else it'll feel stale
>>
File: wedemboys.png (235KB, 540x258px) Image search: [Google]
wedemboys.png
235KB, 540x258px
>>68896129
all /mu/core bands are memes
>>
>>68894792
i dont think that mono should be shit on if so many musicians loved it
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.