[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Beatles >lots of pop ditties with mass appeal, simple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1477968879919.png (560KB, 650x795px) Image search: [Google]
1477968879919.png
560KB, 650x795px
The Beatles
>lots of pop ditties with mass appeal, simple and accessible
>without George Martin they would be just another pop band
>dated
>super-pleb
>sample lyrics: Ob la di ob la da life goes on bra / La la how the life goes on / Ob la di ob la da life goes on bra / La la how the life goes on
>The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art.

Grimes
>deeply emotional and complex sounding tunes with lots of layers
>produces her own music
>modern
>patrician
>sample lyrics: Oh lord cause I don't wanna know what they say / Cause I get carried away / Commodifying all the pain

>Grimes exists on another planet, while everyone else revs up their rocket engines to play catch-up. The word genius is thrown around too lightly these days. Here’s one, right here.

Who is better?
>>
>>68885324
>complex sounding tunes with lots of layers

Holy kek

Problem with Grimes fans isn't I can't tell the actual fans from parodies of the fans
>>
pls die
>>
>>68885370
You first. You have my permission.
>>
>>68885351
>complex sounding tunes with lots of layers
God yes.

>Problem with Grimes fans isn't I can't tell
For some unknown reason Grimes fans seem to be one of the few groups of people on this board capable of not taking themselves too seriously.

Take the OP's copypasta for example: >>68885324
I'm a HUGE Grimes fan, and even I can't honestly tell if the original author was being completely serious while writing it. The same goes for whoever re-posted it this time around. Could've been a Grimes fan, could've been an anti-Grimes troll - it makes no functional difference.

Either way, the whole dichotomy it presents is very clearly preposterous to the point of being hilarious, and people being stupid enough to fall for its b8 by treating it completely seriously one way or the other just adds to that hilarity.
>>
>>68885781
I'm not going to pretend I've listened to everything Grimes has ever composed but I've listened to a fair amount of it and none of it ever sounded complex. She's not devoid of talent--anyone that productive has to have at least some--but I've literally heard Coldplay pieces with more sophisticated compositional techniques than Grimes can muster. She sounds like a kid playing with preset loops on a workstation.

In any case I wish all this bullshit would stick to the containment threads. Parody or not it's absurd, and the Grimes fanbase is one of the only ones I can think of where I genuinely just cannot tell if they're serious or trolling.
>>
>>68885906
>I've listened to a fair amount of it and none of it ever sounded complex.
Listen to this for example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aWEYezEMk
The vocals are a classic example of counterpuntal voice leading (see this for comparison - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83yNzuiZZ9Y ) Her entire discography is filled with stylistic details like this if you listen to it closely.

>In any case I wish all this bullshit would stick to the containment threads.
Imo the LAST thing this board needs is fewer threads open to actual music-related conversation.
>>
File: slint_1_1354190121[1].jpg (36KB, 619x320px) Image search: [Google]
slint_1_1354190121[1].jpg
36KB, 619x320px
>>68885324
damn i just realized how similar that picture looks to this
>>
>>68885781
to be honest all you hip young people seem humorless and stuck a mile high up your own asshole you piece of shit
>>
>>68886282
>>68886282
sorry for being an autist but it's contrapuntal, not counterpuntal.
>>
>>68886354
Lol. Happened because I was originally using the word as a noun ('counterpoint') but then switched to adjective form at the last minute and forgot to correct.

>>68886345
Double lol. Based on the rest of this thread the only person here seemingly suffering from some sort of blockage is you.
>>
if Grimes didn't exist the world would be the same

hell, if Grimes died today no one would care except a couple of guys who want to fuck her.
>>
>>68886719
Outstanding post.
>>
>>68886692
i've been observing your lot watching you in your habitual circle jerk studying every nuance in your infatuated verbal diarrhea spewed so confidently and profoundly one would've thought you were discussing the meaning of life yet with my own eyes i've seen grown men come nearly to blows over the lack of appreciation of a britney spears song (the one about sex)
>>
>>68886719
that's some nice reinforcement
>>
>>68886719
Anon, we know very well that at least half the professional Indie music press would feel obligated to commit harakiri if anything happened to her. Honestly I wouldn't put it past her to fake her own death at some point* because of it.

>>68886826
Laxatives usually help.

*Nearly forgot that she's essentially already done this at least once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE
>>
>>68885324
everybody's been playing checkers for yeara, Grimes been playing chess
>>
>>68886957
grimes plays with herself
>>
>>68886957
>this is what grimes fans actually believe

Meanwhile I wonder if she can even read music
>>
>>68886826
>one would've thought you were discussing the meaning of life yet with my own eyes i've seen grown men come nearly to blows over the lack of appreciation of a britney spears song (the one about sex)
Clearly you have a very poor grasp of just how important opinions on music play historically into people's daily lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skandalkonzert - I know someone who studied violin with a member of the audience that night in Vienna. Apparently there were chairs being broken over people's heads and everything.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.