[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I missed the "System of a Down" train, are they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: System-of-A-Down-2015.jpg (167KB, 1690x767px) Image search: [Google]
System-of-A-Down-2015.jpg
167KB, 1690x767px
I missed the "System of a Down" train, are they worth listening to?
>>
>>68846614
Yes all of their albums are okay to great.
>>
>>68846614
First album was meh
The other 4 are fantastic though.

Mezmerize/Hypnotize are the best because Daron gets more vocal work.
>>
>>68847038
>First album was meh

Fucking pleb.
>>
>>68847038
Honestly? their first album was god tier. i might have to go listen to it again to verify but it's a 10/10 for me from what i can remember. And i rarely give 10/10s
>>
>>68847843
>>68847658

Just wasn't a fan of the rougher vocals. I'm sorry.

Like I said I love their other stuff.
>>
>>68847875
I guess a lot of people feel that way, but it's a quality i really liked. but i do appreciate that later on Serj cleaned up his vocals and focused more on being a good vocalist. All their albums are amazing to me. OP you should definitely check them out
>>
Not Op.

But I was wondering how should I start their discography should I listen chronologically or in a certain order?
>>
>>68846614
Yes, also don't rush to judgment. Their music grows on you.
>>
>>68847918
Understandable. But keep in mind I'm not really a metal guy, and since that was their most metal album per-say, that's why it appealed to me the least.

>>68847946
I'd say start with Mezmerize/Hypnotize. That's their Magnum-Opus I.M.O.

Here's a sample song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wExTb28gNmc
>>
Tried them last year and wasn't into them at all but as I persisted they became one of my favourite bands, yes, toxicity is as good as people say but it's not the most accessible to get into, for a while it just sounds like generic nu metal, I highly recommend their s/t if you want to see original stuff.

for heavy songs: forest
toxicity
jet pilot
sugar
i e a i a i o

for softer songs: arials
spiders
ego brain

politically charged songs: b.y.o.b.
deer dance
chick n stu

overall really good band, especially for the nu metal genre, you learn to love serj tankian's vocals but daron's backing vocals even a mother couldn't forgive
>>
File: Bad.png (471KB, 479x530px) Image search: [Google]
Bad.png
471KB, 479x530px
>>68848023
>daron's backing vocals even a mother couldn't forgive

This is the wrongest opinion I've read on here.

And I've seen Grimes threads.
>>
>>68847996
Thanks man.

In your opinion what makes this the Magnus opus? Just curious.
>>
>>68848068
Ignore what the other guy said about Daron. Daron is a fantastic vocalist.

And it's great that he has a lot more vocals on Mezmerize/Hypnotize than he does on the other 3 albums. Stuff like Question!, Hypnotize, Lonely Day, and Radio/Video really showcase it.

Just my opinion on it.
>>
>>68846614
fucking essential and goat
>>
>>68846614
Yes it is worth it. Just listen to them in order. Toxicity is far and away their best album. Anyone who says otherwise is just being contrarian
>>
File: System Of A Down.jpg (116KB, 953x953px) Image search: [Google]
System Of A Down.jpg
116KB, 953x953px
>>68846614
Their first album is their only one worthwhile.
Toxicity has some good songs here and there but the band loses the heavier, punk rockish vibe that was in their self-titled, and Serj is tamer. It's overall just not as fun.
Steal This Album is basically Toxicity 2.0. Not worth the listen albeit a few songs. Then there are Hypnotize and Mesmerize. They try so hard to return to their heavier stuff back in the late 90s yet fail miserably. Some of the songs are just laughably bad like "Lonely Day". Daron's voice is somehow worse than Serj's.
>>
>>68848152
their demos and the first album are just too raw
>>
>>68848202
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbLyxx69KXY
>>
>>68848185
Wow people are having a bad streak about being wrong about Malakian.

>>68848221
....Wow this is fucking bad.....
>>
>>68848239
Nah man, I bet you like classical. I like heavy rock and that is great
>>
>>68848264
I don't. At all. Never listened to classical in my life.
But I do like jazz so....That might be something...?

And if you like it that's cool. Just a fan of their lighter stuff that's all. Not trying to be rude :)
>>
>>68848281
Okay cool, also what do you think about getz I have been listening to some bossa nova lately
>>
>>68848318
My statement was too broad. I apologize.

I'm just getting into jazz. Not an expert on it.
>>
>>68848326
got into jazz from this and spanish music too

really good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KpIV57PSeo
>>
>>68848338
So far I know Herbie's stuff up to Manchild and Bitches Brew by Miles Davis.

Gonna listen to a little bit of the vid you sent.
>>
>>68846614
Definitely. It's one of those bands with a "sound". You may like them, you may not, but you know it's them playing the second the music starts.
If you're a fan of softer music I advice you to listen to Mezmerize/Hypnotize, then Steal This Album! and after those, the first Two. If you can handle a little bit of harsh vocals, you can go from chronologically without any problems.
>>
Debut and Toxicity are the only worthwhile ones i m o

toxicity is one of the few essential nu/alt metal albums
>>
>>68848358
okay
>>
>>68848239
Generally with you on Darren, but you have to admit that Lonely Day was the worst track they ever released though.
>>
BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA terracotta pie BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA BANANA is the best albim
>>
Nah, Serj is just a worse Mike Patton.
>>
WHY DO THEY ALWAYS SEND THE POOR
>>
>>68846614
There are some trains worth missing
>>
>>68848399
>not debut and mesmerize
>>
>>68848023
wait what? the back up vocals are really good, Daron has an incredible voice, he could be a lead singer if he wanted.
>>
File: stewie.gif (144KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
stewie.gif
144KB, 125x125px
>>68848185
how can one man be so wrong
>>
How does Serj's solo work keep up with SOAD?
>>
>>68849838
It's great
>>
>>68848239
the demos are fucking great idiot
>>
>>68846614
Mesmerized is GOAT!
>>
Not really. They're that sort of anti-gubment Bush-era type bands.
>>
File: lil boy.png (120KB, 488x584px) Image search: [Google]
lil boy.png
120KB, 488x584px
>>68848057
>>68849764

I can't be the only one who'd prefer byob more if it wasn't tarnished by what sounds like a 14 year old screaming
"WAHDOEYAWAYSENAPOOOOOR"

he just sounds really really fucking cheesy and laughable, either cringey screaming that's not as good as Serj, or really really emotional yet annoyingly delivered vocals on "lonely day", I just haven't heard any song from the discography where he's added something that I didn't think would be better without. I'm not confident about many opinions I have on /mu/ but I'll defend this to the day I die
>>
I used to love them in my teens, not listened to them in a while though

Listed to their self titled album are ridiculous number times and its their best one.

For me each album they release is worse than their previous (they're all still worth a listen though). I did listen to them from newest to oldest so it could have been the more recent ones just wore off on me.

Also Serj's solo stuff is pretty fun
Never really bothered with Scars on the Broadway, I don't really like Darrens vocals
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.