[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Genres? Oh, genres don't really matter. It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

File: 1474127253951.jpg (7KB, 247x250px) Image search: [Google]
1474127253951.jpg
7KB, 247x250px
>"Genres? Oh, genres don't really matter. It's all just music, man. Why do we have to classify it? Just listen to what you like!"

Is there anything more pretentious than people who say this? It's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
>>
>>68832846
People who say this generally only listen to 1 genre so say this to hide the fact.
>>
>>68832846
it is equally as dumb as 1,200 different words for rock music
>>
>>68832846
It's not pretentious, it just says something about someones listening habits.
>>
>>68832846
That's actually the opposite of pretentious.

Genres themselves are pretense. They are grouping arbitrary components of music into groups. Sometimes a genre is just two genres. It makes no sense. Like there are obviously styles of music but it's definitely a shorter list than most people like to believe.

Basically, when you're talking about much how you love Ambient Dub House you sound like a cunt, and girls don't want to kiss you or hold your hand.

God damn I'm getting to old for /mu/.
>>
>still listening to genre music
lmao
>>
>>68833434

>arbitrary

Except if you aren't retarded, genres aren't arbitrary.

>girls don't want to kiss you or hold your hand.

I don't see how that's relevant to genres/music but okay.

Are you one of those people who uses music as a tool to get girls to like you and doesn't actually care about the music itself?
>>
File: image.png (3KB, 168x168px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3KB, 168x168px
>>68833434
>tfw to old for /mu/
>>
>>68833434
>Getting too old

No you aren't you retarded 16 year old. You're a pretentious retard that thinks anything he just said is signifying maturity or logic
>>
>>68833515
>is signifying

Nice passive language faggot
>>
File: 1477747618550.png (385KB, 610x663px) Image search: [Google]
1477747618550.png
385KB, 610x663px
>>68833940
>>
>>68833940
lul
>>
File: 1461943019973.jpg (6KB, 200x195px) Image search: [Google]
1461943019973.jpg
6KB, 200x195px
>>68832846
>i like 17 different types of metal
>>
>>68833940
Did your english teacher just tell you about that you fucking 10th grader
>>
>>68832846
Those people are still better than people who say shit like
>god guys that's not rap, that's nu-industrial-rock-rapcore with elements of noisecore and techno nu-jazz
Those people are the real pretentious shits.
>>
>>68835512

what's pretentious about that?
>>
>>68833940
H-HE'S TOO POWERFUL
>>
>>68835579
Everything
>>
Vaporwave is racist, what else is new?
>>
>"Species? Oh, species don't really matter. It's all just living beings, man. Why do we have to classify it? Just appreciate what you like!"

Is there anything more pretentious than people who say this? It's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
>>
Why are there people who hate the concept of genres? It makes absolutely no sense, and only seems like people say they do because they want to be edgy.
>>
On the flipside, is there anything more annoying than people who take genres extremely seriously and get pissy if someone calls a metal track "screamo" or something and will furiously try and debate you about what exact subgenre so and so music falls into?
>>
>>68835825
Because it corners artists in a "this is what you do"-sense, even though they may want to move more freely among sounds and inspirations, they'll be pointed back to that corner
>>
>>68835987
So? Maybe those artists should stop being stupid and make what they want to make.
>>
>>68836009
And oftenly they'll do, but what gives you the right?
>>
>>68835579
It's applying unwarranted importance to elements of the music.
>>
>>68836052
Gives me the right to do what?
>>
>>68836061
To force labels upon something where you took no part in the creative process
>>
>>68835879
Except sometimes people can be very far off when calling someone from a certain genre. For example, people who think Spiderland is Math Rock when it's not.
>>
>>68836114
What? If an artist makes a rock album, it's a rock album. It's more of an observation than a label.
>>
File: real genres.png (11KB, 454x427px) Image search: [Google]
real genres.png
11KB, 454x427px
I only acknowledge broad genres. Getting pedantic over whether a band is shoegaze or dream pop or noise rock as if they don't overlap 90% of the time is pointless.
>>
>>68835756
not sure what point you're trying to make
>>
>>68832846
You fuckig idiot.
>>
>>68832846
can you stop posting your fascist meme on this board pls
>>
>>68836242
>noise rock overlapping 90% of the time with Dream Pop
AAAAAA

Also
>alternative - indie
Just kill yourself or at least don't ever post on /mu/ again

Also
>african
>brazilian
>broad genres
>>
>>68836151
What if the artists considers it pop?
How many pop albums from the 70's were considered rock at the time?
What I mean is it works as a general descriptor, but people who cling to it too tighty are often just there to justify and shove their own selfimportance down everybody's throat
>>
>>68836421
You do realize that something can be more than a single genre, right? Pop is barely a genre, too, since it applies to all popular music.
>>
>>68836461
Pop is the only genre
>>
>>68832846
It's all just music, man..
>>
>>68832846
If you don't get it you're behind the curve
>>
>>68832846
I sort of hate it when people think I am strange because I recognize genres and can categorize music. They are like

"Shoestair hahaahahha what the fuck is shoegaze"

or

"Its just music 2 me!!!!!"

Fug off
>>
>>68836725
thats bc ur a cunt
>>
>>68835739
bait?
>>
>>68836843
Not really though, its a whitewashed version of hiphop, utilizing the same production techniques and sharing socially concious themes, albeit done lazy and halfassed
>>
Fuck you niggas I'll listen to whatever I want and I'll never shove it down someone's throat. If I want to listen to some adult jazz I will, if I want to listen to some random rap album I will. I just categorize it as good
>>
>listening to avant-folk
>it's actually freak folk
>>
>>68838604
kek, you're talking about not categorizing stuff in genres, and while your doing so you're categorizing stuff.
>>
>>68832869
sorry mate, only one genre exists tho
>>
>>68839223
Fuck you mayne I don't even think adult jazz has a genre
>>
>>68840051
>>68838604

>""""adult"""" jazz

what?
>>
>>68833434
>Genres themselves are pretense
Yeah man. Using language as it is intended to be used to describe similar music and applying this ability to find stuff similar to what you know you already like is so goddamn pretentious I'm already growing thick rimmed glasses right out of my fucking eyes.

"hey man, what does it matter if this thing here is a fruit or veggie, it's all just food man learn to live and enjoy"
Fuck you.
>>
File: gee willikers.jpg (39KB, 559x413px) Image search: [Google]
gee willikers.jpg
39KB, 559x413px
>>68836114
>what gives you the right to use nouns to refer to things you didn't create
>>
>>68836725
>because I recognize genres and can categorize music

because I make up genres and shoehorn music and artists into them.

Fixed.
>>
>>68840819
All of this unwarranted self importance Why are you so mad
>>
>>68840806
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmSH7PZduYw
>>
>>68832846
>why do we have to classify it?
tell them, so people will know what the fuck you're talking about when you talk about a band or a kind of music
>>
>>68840979
>Etymology
>See also: Dream pop
>"Shoegazing" was coined to describe dream pop bands.[3] It originated in a concert review in Sounds for the newly formed band Moose in which singer Russell Yates read lyrics taped to the floor throughout the gig.[12] The term was picked up by the NME, who used it as a reference to the tendency of the bands' guitarists to stare at their feet—or their effects pedals—while playing, seemingly deep in concentration. Melody Maker preferred the more staid term The Scene That Celebrates Itself, referring to the habit that the bands had of attending gigs of other shoegazing bands, often in Camden, and often moonlighting in each other's bands.[citation needed] According to AllMusic: "The shatteringly loud, droning neo-psychedelia the band performed was dubbed shoegazing by the British press because the bandmembers stared at the stage while they performed."[1]
>t. Wikipedia
I doubt anon here works with the NME, you mouth-breathing fuckwit.
>>
>>68833261
It's dumb to argue over super specific sub genres but it's mostly used to find other music that sounds alike for recommendations. I mean rock music was at the forefront of popular music for a long ass time and there is so much variety within the genre, moreso than any other genre I can think of.
>>
>>68841021
>All of this unwarranted self importance
What
>>
>>68841068
>so people will think you know what the fuck you're talking about when you talk about a band or a kind of music because you lack basic articulation skills
ftfy, don't even thank me.
>>
>>68841077
>random ctrl+v
>random insult

Let me get on your level: U mad bro?
>>
>>68832846
How is that pretentious? I'm just too lazy to try and think of a classification for everything I listen to. It's all just music, man
>>
>>68841098

There is far more variety in "classical" than in rock.
>>
>>68841115
Wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions
>>
>>68836242
Its nice for historical purposes though
>>
>>68841374
lol that's not how the world works
>>
Genres are usually labels put by the music industry on subcultures or original artists that may seem harmless, but end up devaluing and homogenizing a style, culture, etc.

Perfect example is Jungle. Its fun, filthy, dirty, and a lot of dynamic and varying sounds. It was also its own underground electronic music subculture with rich roots. Then all of the sudden the british music industry starts calling it drum and bass, and markets a bunch of uber-clean cookie cutter artists, completely taking the soul out of the style.
Not all drum and bass is bad, but it totally broke down and sequelized a perfectly good music scene.

Then there's the hairsplitting you see on RateYourMusic. Neoclassical Darkwave... Its not darkwave, and it doesnt always have classical compositions or elements in it. I'm a goth kid so I'd like to think I have at least some kind of ground in saying this. People just call that shit ethereal. And yes there's ethereal wave, which, everyone just calls really high pitched and boring gothic rock.

Then there's the pretenses of a genre that erodes its own image and poorly saturates its base of artists. Emo is a good example for this. Sure you might think of Rites of Spring, Orchid, Americ Anfootbal, the list goes on. But that's not what the public thinks. They think of Panic! At the Disco, Paramore, and etc. Its clearly pop punk, and false advertizing. All it does is fuck up the actual scene.

Then there's electronic music. There are nuances and differences in many electronic genres that are valid, but when certain motifs and tropes are combined, some styles become indistinguishable from others. Trancecore and Freeform are almost the exact same thing. Tribal house, tribal techno, and tribal trances nuances are all so subtle that it would take Ishkur himself to pick them apart. Then there's the ambient producers that call their music IDM... nah. Braindance isnt as simple as making ambient noises.

VERDICT: genres dont matter much
>>
>>68840806
Man I really thought /mu/ would know who adult jazz was. My bad Brodie just look them up
>>
>>68832846
Genres definitely do exist, but classification does become a pain. I dropped genres from my music collection just because I was tired with classifying and reclassifying. I know how particular albums and artists sound either way.
>>
>>68842120
Jungle is the shit, have they released any new stuff? Jungle sounds like new electro funk if that's even a thing
>>
>>68842120
I like you, anon
>>
>>68833940
This is not passive. It's just a participle, an active one in fact.
>>
>>68842120

>massive post explaining why genres matter
>"VERDICT: genres dont matter much"

???
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.