[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't get Wilco. I love indie rock in general, and folk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

I don't get Wilco. I love indie rock in general, and folk artists such as Elliott Smith and Nick Drake but I don't like this album a single bit. I hate it.

What is so good about this band? What do you guys think of them?
>>
>>68761425

Basically everyone I've ever talked to that loves this album hated it at first. Including me. Keep listening, find something you DO like about it, let the rest grow on you.

Or accept that not everyone likes everything and move on like a normal human being. These threads are autism.
>>
>These threads are autism.
that's why we're posting in it
>>
explain why you dont like it maybe?
its pretty inoffensive music
>>
File: WilcoAGhostIsBorn.jpg (4KB, 275x250px) Image search: [Google]
WilcoAGhostIsBorn.jpg
4KB, 275x250px
>>68761425
they're fucking great

i don't understand why you hate them.

they really understand space in music and when to go apeshit in their songs. Jeff tweedy has a very expressive voice that isn't technically very good but he knows to write intersting lyrics;
"I am an American aquarium drinker
I assassin down the avenue
I'm hiding out in the big city blinking
What was I thinking when I let go of you?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu6f4dAaXpc

pic related is their best album
>>
A little late to this 4-reply party but I'll comment.

Personally, there's a lot on this album that ticks off a lot of my check-boxes. It's got some noise scattered around, some songs that mess around with tonality, some catchy but melancholy choruses, and sad lyrics. If there's one quality to this album that pushes me over the edge, it's the way Wilco is able to create and atmosphere in songs that are totally enveloping, yet adhere to traditional song structures.

Think about some of the better known "experimental" rock bands. These bands are really aiming for a new perspective on rock music that still manages to be really emotive and engaging. The potential downside to this is, if you're a fan of classic rock song structure (verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-outro etc. etc.) you're probably out of luck. Experimental rock bands love linear song structures, drones, sound collages, and other "out-there" techniques.

Wilco takes the best of both worlds, in my opinion, for tracks like I am trying to break your heart. You're getting noise, lots of angular strange percussion and sound effects, the works. But there's something about this song that still manages to feel so human, and sincere; for the most part, these songs stay pretty close to regular song structures that you know and love. This is what makes the album great for me from a technical standpoint. More personally however, the melodies and lyrics come across as extremely poetic and emotional and keep me coming back. That part at least is entirely subjective. Reservations makes me cry every time.
>>
>>68762155
good post IMO.

Do you recommend any other Wilco LPs?
>>
>>68762155
As a side note though, if you despise more experimental genres of music, it's understandable if this turns you off. You don't have to like it, but if you want to like it: Concentrate on how these odd sounds and textures in the music make you feel, and what atmosphere they create; Read the lyrics and interpret your own meanings; Think about how the songs increase and decrease in intensity.

Final side note: people might like this album a lot for the same reason they like ITAOTS. They're not sure why it strikes a chord for them; it just does. It doesn't seem like it would, but it just sticks around as being incredibly emotional and personal to some listener. You might not be one of those listeners. >>68761575 is kinda right in that regard.
>>
>>68762155
I never listened to it with this perspective. I'm going to keep that in mind next time I do. Having structure is good but it didn't occur that was something special.
>>
>>68762209
Gonna be totally real here—I haven't listened to much other Wilco. If you really like this album, (and especially if you didn't) you're next best bet is Summerteeth, which is similarly ambitious, but drops a lot of the noise and experimentation musically. These songs are a lot more traditionally alt-rock/alt-country.

I guess the reason I haven't listened to all Wilco has to offer is because it doesn't really grab me emotionally like this record does. They're kinda fun songs, but not moody like the ones on YHF. Like I said, Summerteeth is the most similar.
>>
>>68761425
Wilco may be one of the easiest to into bands ever. It's like dad rock put through an 90s/00s indie filter so it's acceptable for a modern crowd/
>>
If you don't like it, listen to summerteeth. I prefer I over yht
>>
>>68761425
That is a great album cover, I've got to say. Never listened to their music, though.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.