[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi guys. I've been browsing this board for about 6 months.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1475428034543.jpg (3MB, 2060x3825px) Image search: [Google]
1475428034543.jpg
3MB, 2060x3825px
hi guys. I've been browsing this board for about 6 months. I've been listening to music seriously for a few months before that - in the sense that I started listening to full albums and moved past pink floyd and such. I would say I'm probably at like 200 albums or something. here's my problem: my taste remains very pleb tier. I know I'm a pleb simply because of my library, but I can barely move past /mu/ core in terms of taste. My favorites remain the smiths, modest mouse, and radiohead. Also I love a lot of /mu/ core albums - aeroplane, yankee hotel, remain in light, low end theory, etc. What's the best way for me to develop my music taste?
pic related is a chart I took from here I've been working through somewhat.

also just as a side note thanks for making this board a nice place to be. (hurr durr op is a fag /mu/ sucks.) idk man, I just feel like being a little nice.
>>
also: how to make my own charts? I am a super pleb sry. I have a macbook air if that matters.
>>
Work to refine, not to develop. If you like an artist, go deeper into their discography, related artists and the genre. Eventually you'll listen to more obscure stuff, and you'll likely like it as much as /mu/core often.

Jumping on this thread a bit for a different reason. I've listened to maybe half the albums on that chart. /mu/core has never struck me generally as particularly appealing. Is there any real reason to listen to all the albums? Are they truly "classics" or only in the mind of a approx. teenage music board? Which in your opinion are the stand out ones (especially if you don't like many)?
>>
>>68754407
OP here, I kind of just think of it is a good compendium of a lot of objectively good music. People love to rag on 4chan for being a bunch of underage weeb virgins, but I've found on boards like mu, o, etc. people actually know a lot about the respective interest.
>>
What >>68754407 said.

Just take your time developing on what you enjoy the most and go from there. Check genre-related charts so you can have some place to begin and go by yourself from there.

I started listening to music seriously 2~3 years ago, but only started digging deeper a year ago, when i stopped listening to the /mu/core chart (was doing that for six months) and started doing my own thing. It's a great place to begin with, but it's not good to be stuck with it until the end. But it's important that you're patient and sometimes get out of your comfort zone, so that you're not stuck with the same thing forever.

About the /mu/core chart specifically, there are tons of good albums in there, but i don't feel the need of listening to it anymore. Music shouldn't be about "knowing it all about the classics", it's something you must enjoy doing first.
>>
kys
>>
>>68754347
any image editor? Make a giant canvas and add your album art icons and text accordingly

Also the way I did it once I hit adequate /mu/core was taking what I liked and hitting the threads for those genres - get rec'd similar and follow what's popping. Sharethreads are nice for discovering stuff too, just look for your taste.

Aside from /mu/, indeed go deeper into artist discographies and rateyourmusic, last.fm and discogs are your friend.
If something looks interesting, give it a listen.
>>
Why the fuck do plebs care about >muh taste and >muh obscurity?
>>
>>68754583
wew, didn't see that one coming. any help for charts? Want to be able to partiipate in that part of this board.
>>
>>68754631
charts are for autists don't bother
>>
>>68754622
I figure because people new to /mu/ don't recognize a lot of albums people listen to, and so call those ones obscure, and wonder how others found out about them because they don't know how to look for music effectively. They probably care about their taste too in hopes of creating a representation of the music they like with which they can find more music.

just my two cents :^)
>>
>>68754631

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/

Easy to use, but somewhat limited if you want to customize it.
>>
the new mu core chart is more patrish

anyways yeah who cares just listen to what you like, find stuff that you like
>>
>>68754662
stop projecting, your pleb is showing
>>
>>68754347
topsters2, it's a website
>>
>>68754407
I think it'd be interesting to see just how many of these albums people on here have actually listened to. I've only listened to 10 of the 15 /mu/core albums, 16/23 if you include sub-/mu/core, and there's at least a hundred on OP's pic that I haven't listened to.

>>68754460
I mean, I'm retarded, but thanks for the compliment. I'd suggest finding one genre you really like, and going super deep into it. Sometimes, you'll kind of reach a point in your exploration of one genre that you make it into another one. I ventured deep into post-rock and came out having listened to a lot of that, plus a bunch of progressive, and a decent amount of post-hardcore.

Also, for making charts:
http://topsters.net/ is the most commonly used one, but beware that saving charts can be buggy, and sometimes it'll just get rid of your entire chart.
https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/ looks good overall, but it seems like you can't upload your own covers, which sucks.

If you want to do small charts on your phone, an Instagram collage maker will do just fine. If you want full customization, without the weird glitchiness of topsters, you're basically stuck with whatever non-paint photo editor you prefer.

For last.fm charts:
http://tapmusic.net/ is the most common used one on /mu/. it does the job.
http://lastfmtopalbums.dinduks.com/ is more customizable than tapmusic, but when you try to save your pic it tries to save it as a php file. I just screencap it when I use this site, to avoid the php shenanigans.
http://www.lastchart.com/ is probably my favorite, even if it isn't normal charts. Shit's just cool.
>>
File: essential equite-core.jpg (989KB, 1934x1632px) Image search: [Google]
essential equite-core.jpg
989KB, 1934x1632px
Get an RYM and possibly a last.fm if you want to find new music. Also, don't listen to anything that /mu/ likes, since it's complete shit. You can also just continue listening to whatever you want to, since there's no point in investing time into "refining" your taste in music.
>>
>>68754327
just use the custom charts on rym ffs they're not even hard to figure out
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.