[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a shoutout to all the lurkers those of you that've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 1463148428412.png (89KB, 1272x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1463148428412.png
89KB, 1272x1152px
This is a shoutout to all the lurkers
those of you that've been here before 2009, '10, '11

do you still look forward to the next album?
what's the trick?

After dipping around, there's this slump I'm sure you've experienced.

Albums start sounding the same. Genres become unoriginal.

When did you start enjoying music again? Or are you stuck in purgatory as well?

The worst part is realizing that discussing music with the majority of people is just dropping names until there's a "wow you know them as well" and a "great to know we have such taste together" and the infamous "I remember listening to that long ago, wasn't memorable."
>>
I still love music and all, but for me the most depressing thing about listening to so much of it is that nothing surprises me or sounds new anymore. I never get that blissful feeling that I'm listening to something new and exciting, it seems like I've heard everything before.

I try to listen to new genres when I'm in a slump though and it usually helps.
>>
>>68718017
>you will never have that first album listen back, ever.
which album would you choose?
>>
>>68717931
You have to look for the ones that are timeless to you.

Sometimes I can't believe I've listened to the same albums for the past 5 years, inbetween searching for new ones

It's impressive, if anything
>>
You're probably depressed. You have to live your life so you can make the music/feeling connection. Think about the music you used to love. They probably are connected with this period in your life and you remember it everytime you listen to it.
>>
File: Endtroducingcover.jpg (36KB, 300x295px) Image search: [Google]
Endtroducingcover.jpg
36KB, 300x295px
>>68718070
Endtroducing was the first album that made me realize that music was beautiful, and not just side entertainment while in the car or playing video games. It really was like nothing I had ever heard, so I guess I want to feel the feeling I felt when I heard Midnight in a Perfect World again.
>>
File: 1378045661085.png (143KB, 772x840px) Image search: [Google]
1378045661085.png
143KB, 772x840px
>>68718263
>connected with this period in your life and you remember it everytime you listen to it

That's very true. I never really thought of it as a low key way to escape things.

When do you know you're living, anon?

>>68718289
Endtroducing never ever gets old. I'll put that album in the queue in honor of your past discoveries.

Sometimes I think the next step though is, instead of listening to feel, create to feel. But I have no discernible talent for that - never learnt an instrument well enough.
>>
>>68717931
>This is a shoutout to all the lurkers
>those of you that've been here before 2009, '10, '11
2008 here

>do you still look forward to the next album?
Yes

>what's the trick?
Liking music

>After dipping around, there's this slump I'm sure you've experienced.
Nope

>Albums start sounding the same. Genres become unoriginal.
Explore more

>When did you start enjoying music again? Or are you stuck in purgatory as well?
Never stopped

>The worst part is realizing that discussing music with the majority of people is just dropping names until there's a "wow you know them as well" and a "great to know we have such taste together" and the infamous "I remember listening to that long ago, wasn't memorable."
Its the same here as it ever was
>>
>>68718486
As an aside question: do you drop an album halfway through or listen to it all on the first go?
>>
>>68718517
I normally listen to it fully, the 2nd half might be better if the first half disappoints, never know until the end.
>>
>>68718517
Why would you even do this?
>>
>>68718566
Well, if you aren't enjoying something currently, why should you continue?
>>68718558
Reasonable enough
>>
>>68718017
Have you heard of Death Grips?
>>
i have 11k albums i dont get bored lol. i just put it on shuffle by albums with 0 plays. been here since ~2006.
>>
>>68719726
jesus christ man, what are some of your top albums then?
>>
>>68719784

its pretty much the most pleb stuff as it has taken a long time to get through to the back catalogue. im still listening to the artists i already know cuz itunes is a piece of shit that keeps getting rid of my library so i stopped updating it.

i still look forward to new albums. jimmy eat world and leonard cohen were really good last week. gonna get in flames tomorrow but idk what else is coming out friday.
>>
>>68718070
Being a dipshit stoner kid my freshman year of high school listening to Sleeps Holy Mountain. Don't give a fuck, it was awesome.
>>
>>68718070
Pic related. I know it's a meme response, but The Money Store is probably second.
>>
>>68717931
>what's the trick?
jfc just move on with your pathetic life
>>
>>68718838
If I'm not enjoying it I'll also just skip it. Maybe skip through the rest of the songs quickly to scan for anything interesting but if you don't like the first half why keep listening?
>>
>>68717931
For me it's only a matter of time until I stumble across something that actually interests me, which re-ignites my interest in certain artists and genres. Considering how many unoriginal artists there are, it's easy to feel as though you've already heard everything worth hearing, but given how much music there actually is, that's highly unlikely even if you've listened to most of the music /mu/ has to offer.

I will say that while this board is great for finding new stuff and expanding your taste to an extent, it's really just the same old shit being reposted again and again. There are really only a handful of albums that get circulated regularly here, and a lot of them are the same ones that were popular back in 2010. This board doesn't change much over time in that regard. Still, every so often I stumble across an album that I've never heard that ends up in heavy rotation, or I just decide to give something I checked out a while ago a re-listen, and realize I wrongly dismissed a pretty great album.

Furthermore, I agree wholeheartedly that discussing music with others is pretty much pointless. To this day, I have never met a single person IRL who browses /mu/ or who has the same outlook on music as someone who does. Most people just seem to listen to what's on the surface, and what is easily accessible. Everyone I know who is into "underground" music mostly just listens to the handful of underground bands that everyone already knows about. It's easy to forget that this is a site that is primarily for people with obsessive interests, and that most people just aren't as autistic about music as you or I.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.