[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats /mu/'s opinion on the Grime Scene in the UK thats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
Whats /mu/'s opinion on the Grime Scene in the UK thats suddenly come up so quickly?
>>
>>68656520
>suddenly
>>
I think big names like Drake a ready to gut it for revenue just like every other big wave
>>
uh hasn't grime been a thing since about 2001?
>>
>>68656536
>>68656548
pardners are always 2 decades late
>>
>suddenly

fucking yanks
>>
>>68656795
I'm from the UK but in the past 2 years it has increased in popularity immensely
>>
remember when /mu/ first discovered dubstep in 2011 and thought it was a new thing lmao
>>
I thought it was just dying out
>>
It's chav music
>>
File: Sicko!.png (192KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Sicko!.png
192KB, 540x960px
>>68656545
Judging from pic related he's going to next year.
>>
>>68656520
Grime died around 2009 or so (around the time Giggs started blowing up in London & pirate radio fell victim to the internet). Now it's mainly being pimped by the likes of Nike and Adidas. Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded, but these new guys are nowhere near as original or talented as back in the day.

Grime came around at a special point in time - people could make beats without expensive equipment or formal musical training, pirate radio was still popping, central london still had a lot of soul etc. Every day you could listen to someone GOOD on pirate radio and every week new beats were dropping, every few months new trends and stuff happened. It was pretty cool.

At the risk of being a cunt I think it will go down as one of the last authentic subcultures or local music scenes - something like it simply couldn't pop up these days, it will be bastardised worldwide while still in its infancy.
>>
>>68656545
I'm pretty sure Drake did a few gigs with Section Boyz a while back but Section aren't as popular anymore and people seem to prefer groups like 67 so he stopped.
>>
>>68656927
"chav music"
>using the term chav unironically
Someone's middle class
>>
>>68656946
From what i've seen its gotten more popular, its mostly edgy 12 year olds listening to people like stormzy but gangs in South London seem to be making a lot of music around it (Like 410 or 67) and they are getting really popular.
>>
can someone explain the stormzy phenomenon, please?
>>
File: Dean-Blunt.jpg (124KB, 685x570px) Image search: [Google]
Dean-Blunt.jpg
124KB, 685x570px
>>68656520
>suddenly come up so quickly
>>
>>68657055
People heard Shut up and got gassed about it, the hypes gone down since and anyone who listened to him have moved on to harder stuff or stopped with Grime, most people who still listen to him unironically are 12 or yanks
>>
>>68656987
There's no other way to describe it
>>
HEY GUISE, GUISE

HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THIS NEW UPCOMING GENRE '''DRUM & BASS''?
>>
>>68657102
What exactly about it is 'chavvy' then?
>>
>>68656520
I was never hugely into grime, but it's weird seeing all the guys from like 2003 suddenly be talked about as "up and coming" again and other artists like craig david having comebacks

I don't have a problem with the artists themselves (I have no feeling either way) but the coverage is embarrassing. a bunch of white guardian readers acting like this is some kind of groundbreaking thing, very similar to the pitchfork reader response to trap music

what's even more confusing is that most of these guys already "sold out" six years earlier and the big grime names were making huge pop hits in the UK. now suddenly it's a grasroots underground thing again? I don't get it

british music is dead, it's all about packaging a narrative for american audiences now
>>
>>68657102
Yes there is.

''Grime is a genre of music that emerged in London in the early 2000s. It is primarily a development of UK garage and jungle. As grime became more popular in the UK throughout the mid 2000s, it spread out of London to other big British cities.''
>>
>>68657001
67 etc. don't make grime, they just copied that Chicago drill shit... but yh they're blowing up. Grime's basically for the kids now.

It's weird seeing where everyone's ended up. Dizzee is a full blown pop star, Trim is doing weird shit with James Blake, Kano's steadily dropping albums, Narstie is prob gonna end up as a comedian/TV personality, Skepta is posterboy for Supreme faggots, a few are dead, countless others in jail or just ended up broke.
>>
>>68657169
>british music is dead, it's all about packaging a narrative for american audiences now

lolno
>>
>>68657055
Stormzy is basically an Adidas advert incarnate.

He does have some talent, but he has coasted to the 'top' due to heavy backing from labels and marketeers.
>>
>>68657199
name five good new british artists from the 2010s that are doing anything even remotely new. I'll even give you a headstart with gazelle twin
>>
>>68657185
>67 etc. don't make grime, they just copied that Chicago drill shit... but yh they're blowing up. Grime's basically for the kids now.
Too be fair Narstie is fucking hilarious
>>
Drake just put out a track with Dave who's a rising star in UK hip-hop/grime (he does both)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llpBPGg6nJU

Drake's also reached out to grime MC AJ Tracey and they're gonna link up in January next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWnMbZV66p4
>>
>>68657117
Woaaaah

It has drum AND BASS in it?
>>
STATE YOUR NAME CUZ
>>
>>68657257
Smoove + Turrell
Lack of Afro
Dr Rubberfunk
OndatrĂ³pica
Dego
Da Lata
Kaidi Tatham
>>
>>68657289
ahaha loving the yu gi oh references
>>
>suddenly

Mate it's been around since 2003, boy in da corner days. Read up a little if you're gonna post about it.
>>
File: index.jpg (10KB, 288x175px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 288x175px
She's overrated on /mu/ desu senpai
>>
>>68657494
reported for gore posting on a SFW board
>>
>>68657387
all either came out pre 2010s or not doing anything new
>>
>>68657281
Yeah, got a lot of time for Narstie. Tbh I can't hate on any of the old guys for moving on to new things, even if I don't rate what they're doing.
>>
TELL OP SHUT UP
>>
>>68656520
Fuck off. I remember the music press hyping up The Streets and Dizee Rascal like 15 years ago.
>>
>>68656955
?

He went after the most potential filled youth in the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llpBPGg6nJU

Dave, really, why him? WHY?

>drake actually adopts British slang.
>>
>>68657135
Council
Housed
And
Violent

I love grime, but it IS Chav music. it's just not soccer hooligan 'chav' music.
>>
>>68656520
adidas man
>>
IF I GO MAKE ME A MASK
>>
FUCK YOUR CD RACK
WONT GET NONE OF YOUR CDS BACK
>>
It's dumb nigger jungle beats that only retards like
>>
>>68661812
gibb mony white boii

play at ur klubb
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKFRebX-7lc

because of shit like this
>>
>>68656586
Can't wait for dubstep to be a thing in US.
>>
better than original wus

>>68659411
looooooo l 100% mummy sent u to boarding school as a yout. only posh cunts abbreviate chav like that.
>>
Drake tried pushing grime a bit this year didn't he? Would've thought it would actually take off but no I guess not even Drake can make americans think they enjoy grime
>>
>>68657289
Even the Pakis would clown him for that joke of beard in the 6ix senpai. Got bars tho.
>>
File: owen jones.jpg (39KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
owen jones.jpg
39KB, 570x380px
>Still talking about 'chavs'.

Go to bed, Owen Jones
>>
I thought Grime done after the first Roll Deep album was lukewarm crossover bullshit.
Immediately afterward the press moved on to Dubstep (or at least the version of it before it crossed over).
>>
>>68656987
found the chav
>>
>>68661812
/pol/ out

no one likes you and your cancer and no one ever will
>>
>>68659411
Wait no fucking way, is that where chav comes from
>>
>>68656946
the production of "Boy in Da Corner" is what really sucked me into grime. It feels so raw.
>>
>>68657185
I liked Konichiwa :/
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.