[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This album is annoying on a level that sounds intentionally crafted.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 18

This album is annoying on a level that sounds intentionally crafted. Like it's a smart kind of annoying. I feel like this album fully achieves what it's going for that way. It's just a weird feeling I get from this album, like she's fully aware and enjoys the fact that this is annoying. The intro track on here sounds like a ten year old ballerina girl pressing buttons on a toy keyboard after learning Chopsticks a week ago, and I feel like that's what she was going for. It's grating in a way you can't even put your finger on, but you can't even say it's bad.
>>
>>68639315
Wrong on every level. This album is hugely entertaining. You get it or you don't.

/thread
>>
>>68639347
This.
Eat shit OP.
>>
>>68639347
OP here, I'll also say this; I've been listening to it for about a week now.
>>
>>68639347
>threading your own post.

You people make me sick. I know this is not /b/, and that I shouldn't call you a newfag. But stop this immediately.
>>
>>68639315
Whats the big deal with grimesfags? Is it a waifu thing? Its always struck me as generic Indie pop
>>
>>68639443
>Intentionally pretending to think that I threaded my own thread.
>>
>>68639380
Give it more chances. All those "annoying" quirks will become normal to you in max. 1 month. You just have to get used to it. Check out the instrumental version too: https://www.sendspace.com/file/3cuulb

Maybe you will like it more.
>>
>>68639584
So you're admitting to samefagging?
>>
>>68639473
>generic Indie pop
What is generic about it, seriously? How many albums like Art Angels do you know?
>>
>>68639584
he said post not thread m8
>>
>>68639612
This is so fucking stupid.
>>
>>68639615
Let's see, plain boring pop music whose gimmick is "eclectic influence" and lawl quirky?

Fucking all Indie albums of the 2000s?
>>
How can /mu/ genuinely dislike these two songs?

https://youtu.be/EOwhuTlxE54
https://youtu.be/N9XKLqGqwLA
>>
>>68639742
i wish the album had this version of Realiti

so much more chill
>>
>>68639623
>>68639628

No u
>>
>it's another "pathetic, lonely, kissless virgin lardass manchildren defend xir majesty grimeth" thread

Vomitworthy
>>
File: IMG_8910.png (544KB, 471x584px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8910.png
544KB, 471x584px
>>68639762
I like both. Maybe if she releases Art Angels Deluxe she will include it.
>>
>>68639721
>moving the goalposts
>trying to bullshit me
Name those albums. Let's see if they're similar or not.
>>
>>68639600
>1 month
3 listens at most
that also means it loses a bit of its intrigue, which sucks
>>
>>68639792
yeah the album versions ok, i really hope we get this version then
>>
>>68639780
Bow to your Majesty, faggot.
>>
>>68639742
Superb songs.
>>
>>68639742
>Muh colorful quirky eccentric and foreign landscape music xD

This bitch is a parody of everything Indie was in 00s and everything I hate about Indie. If the indie scene really is dead she's the nail on the coffin.
>>
>>68639792
it's the last track on the cd release
>>
>>68639347
>>68639373
>>68639600
>>68639615
>>68639742
>>68639792
You've all been memed. The genius in this album is that it was made to annoy people, you're not supposed to actually enjoy it.
>>
>>68639796
Why do you fucking retards ask the same question every single time someone criticizes the ugly bitch?
>>
>>68639816
every ending is a new beginning.
>>
>>68639816
Are you gonna give a real critique or...?
>>
>>68639854
No, a nail in the coffin means all originality and nuance is dead and done for and (in this case, grimes) is the final piece of parody making fun of how generic it all was by using every piece of said genericness in her music. Its for your 40 something parents to listen to and say "haha I'm Indie too kids!"
>>
As someone who enjoyed the fuck out of this album and loved Visions to death I completely understand why some people hate this album. It's slickly produced with little nuances that could definitely be perceived as grating like the "hey"s on Venus Fly and the title track. Her voice, which is indeed extremely high, is an acquired taste, akin to Jeff Mangum's or Stephen Malkmus's.

I think had she released an album that sounded like the demo version of Realiti and Symphonia IX, /mu/ would have loved it, but she decided to go with this instead.

I like it a lot but I understand the hate, especially when it gets memed as hard as it does.
>>
>>68639911
I already have. She doesn't respect her on musical creativity so I won't respect hwr with an actual critique. If you cant understand what I've said is a review without being explicitly stated you're a perfect target audience for such brain-dead trite
>>
>>68639800
I didn't meant 1 month non-stop listening. Let's say once or twice a week during a month.
>>
>>68639839
>You've all been memed. The genius in this album is that it was made to annoy people, you're not supposed to actually enjoy it.
You've been memed. If you don't enjoy hyper-melodic electropop, you will NEVER enjoy AA. The joke's on you, pal. AA is actually very catchy.
>>
>>68639921
Her voice isn't an acquired taste. Grimes isnt "an acquired taste". Its for teenagers who want to look Indie and "eccentric" so they latch onto whatever is first laid out o them. 10 years ago it wouldbe been my chemical romance, now its grimes. The indie scene is dead, I await its resurgence in a decade or so.
>>
>>68639473
Can't speak to that directly. What I can tell you is that according to my experience the more closely you listen to Grimes' music the more you notice subtle little things going on that make it more interesting. The best analogy I can think of right now is that it's kind of like looking at one of those fractal art patterns where - no matter how much you enlarge it - there is still more detail going on.

>>68639315
>It's grating in a way you can't even put your finger on, but you can't even say it's bad.
This is pretty much the same reaction I had when I first heard it too. As far as I recall it took me at least 1-2 weeks of intensive listening to her entire discography before I felt capable of articulating an opinion on ANY of it.
Which - by the way - is that it is destined to be remembered as one of the 10 greatest/most important bodies of musical work (classical or non-classical) to come out of the 21st century.
>>
>>68639824
But that version is unfortunately spoiled: it misses a whole verse (the second one I guess). Better just extract the audio from that Realiti music video (1080p).
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-23-20-55-00.png (530KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-23-20-55-00.png
530KB, 720x1280px
So this....is the power..... of artistic integrity......... and independent critique......
>>
>>68639842
Because you keep saying the same shit (generic, boring, ugly) but never deliver a decent argument why. Answer these questions asked by Grimes fans, bitch, if you want to be taken seriously.
>>
>>68639915
OK, so you just keep saying unproved crap. gg.
>>
>>68639915
i don't subscribe to your narrative, which is really all you're pushing here
>>
>>68640008
It is an aquired taste. You're a good example: you didn't get into her music. I suspect you're a pleb.
>>
>>68640032
>artistic integrity......... and independent critique......
both nothing more than memes
>>
>>68640008
yes even teenagers get her, so the fact you don't should be embarrassing.
>>
>>68640032
Sure. She did some awesome videos. Wouldn't be a shame to be spoiled by the comments of MRAs and other fuckwits?
>>
>>68640164
Great post. That anon was btfo.
>>
>>68639473
She had something really interesting going on her first two to three albums, but she's basically shelved that whole aesthetic at this point. She started off a sort of grimy underground drug goddess, now she's pretty much turned into a basic pop princess, the only real selling point being that her songs are written by one person (her) instead of twenty five.

Whatever, I guess now we'll never get to hear what she could have done with her original creative template.
>>
is this the worst album art of all time? i can't think of anything else that even comes close.
>>
File: 1477259276629.jpg (179KB, 630x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1477259276629.jpg
179KB, 630x1024px
Joanna Newsom is a Grimes fan. What is your excuse now?

>Interviewer: What young artists do you feel an affinity with? I heard you're a Kendrick fan.
[...]
>Joanna Newsom: I loved the latest Bjork album, I'm excited about the idea of Grimes. I haven't wrapped my head around the record. I find her so compelling and so unlike anybody else and so incredibly talented, skilled, and fun. I love her. I met her in LA a few months ago, she told me something along the lines of, "I grew up listening to your music". I will say, it made me feel really old for about five minutes, then it made me feel really happy. I was like well, I guess I'm old now, but that's okay because this awesome and amazing young musician likes my music and said that it was special to her when she was younger, so that's great.

https://i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/life-after-whimsy-joanna-newsom-is-no-ethereal-creature
>>
File: grimes_disabling_comments.png (239KB, 1080x1382px) Image search: [Google]
grimes_disabling_comments.png
239KB, 1080x1382px
>>68640032
No - this is (see pic related.) No comments means it's just you and the art piece independently duking it out as to whether it has any meaning TO YOU, without any outside voices to further muddy the waters.
>>
>>68640008
>I await its resurgence in a decade or so.

You'll be an oldfag by then
>>
>>68640253
If you have really bad taste, it's the worst album ever. The choice is yours.
>>
>>68640123
She's also for people who think neutral milk hotel is an "acquired taste", for people that are new to music and fully lapping up the ruboff of 2000s hipster cultures worst aspects. Grimes fans are top 40 tier in terms of how they lack the ability to fully critique and articulate music quality and ingenuity outside of parroting critics spouting how "eclectic" it is, much in the same reasoning.

>>68640164
Teenagers generally only "get" things where there is nothing to "get" to start with.
>>
>>68640257
I like both artists, but they both annoy me sometimes.
>>
>>68640269
Just when I couldn't gain further disdain for an already creatively bankrupt hack, she goes and continues to muddle and stretch her now nonexistent artistic statement into further nothingness. Her entire persona consists of an unfocused mishmash of 2000s vain hipsterism, which had little meaning to start with.
>>
>>68640308
>said the meme hipster
Why it's so hard to you to accept that other people have a different taste? They like Grimes and you don't. Why do you need to talk shit about her and her fans?

You keep saying about teenagers liking her. The realiti (pun intended) is that she's liked by all kinds of people, from kids to old farts, from poptimists to metalheads, from electronic fans to classical fans. Her appeal is huge.
>>
>>68640368
Why do you insist so much if you hate her? Do you really think someone will change his mind because of your posts? Are you that delusional?
>>
>>68640395
She makes vapid but competent top 40 pop, yes. She has no artistic direction but is hailed as being otherwise, and it depresses me because it does signify a further cultural decline in what is deemed as artistic or creative.
>>
>>68640434
She's never even had a hit single.
>>
File: 750.jpg (651KB, 690x1000px) Image search: [Google]
750.jpg
651KB, 690x1000px
>You mentioned that you have a clearer idea of what The Avalanches are now. But a big part of The Avalanches back around the time of Since I Left You was this youthful rebellion – fucking around and breaking stuff on stage. How do you keep that spirit as you get older?

>It’s a really good question. As you grow older, you enter your thirties, you have to fight to keep that spirit alive. It’s easy to slip into routine and lose that spark. That’s part of the music making process, and the role new music plays, being inspired by hearing a new artist and how they go about something. Even if it’s completely stylistically different – the way Grimes just owns her shit, does it all herself with this DIY thing going on. You need that inspiration every day when you sit down to work, to wake you up and shake you up and break you out of your routine.

http://fasterlouder.junkee.com/the-avalanches-interview-robbie-chater-2016-wildflower/864236
>>
>>68640257
damn that Joanna Newsom comment makes me sad
>>
>>68640308
if someone gets something, anything, there is something to get. there is literally always something to get
look you just can't stop pigeonholing everything to fit your own narrative, there is no observable "downfall" at all, all the best or worst aspects are just aspects, or perhaps not even that, but i guess i can't stop you from doing that. there would be no point anyways, believe what you want but realize none of anything you've said in this thread is in any way a fact
>>
>>68640434
>it does signify a further cultural decline in what is deemed as artistic or creative
Decline by making one of the most creative music on the whole decade? Do you even know what you're talking about? Also, Top 40 pop when she never had a big hit because she's an indie artist and her music is too quirky for mainstream? You're talking about artisty when she's one of the very few female artists that do everything in her music (complete artistic control)? You picked the wrong target, friendo.
>>
>>68639315
Why didn't you just create a "Be nice to Grimes" thread?
>>
File: 1475420751734.jpg (86KB, 800x705px) Image search: [Google]
1475420751734.jpg
86KB, 800x705px
People who delude themselves into thinking Grimes is good belong on the end of a rope
>>
File: 1477162113113.jpg (111KB, 395x594px) Image search: [Google]
1477162113113.jpg
111KB, 395x594px
>>68640472
Why? Here's another one:

>Nieve said, “You’ve spoken before about how women’s voices are held to a standard of prettiness, and how you were able to overcome that in part by listening to women who differed from the popular norm and sang in a more idiosyncratic style. I think that’s such an encouraging thing for young female songwriters to learn, and to have artists like yourself to look up to is so important. Who would have been most influential on you, and which artists do you currently admire in this regard?”

[...]

>I started to think of it as waveforms. The violin is not an uglier sound than the flute, it’s just a jagged waveform instead of a smooth waveform. There are certain things that, musically, I prefer over others: I like music that is in tune, I prefer when singers are in tune, I prefer when I’m in tune. In terms of people today, as I said, I’m a little out of the loop, but I have noticed I’m really excited by the way that Grimes frames herself, and seems utterly disinterested in her own beauty, which is really exciting to me. Sometimes it’s useful for an idea, and then other times it’s not useful for an idea, and she seems unaffected either way. I like her music as well, and I like what she says.

http://www.rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/4/

I'm telling you, Joanna loves Grimes as an artist.

>I like her music as well, and I like what she says.
>>
>>68640544
lame post
>>
>>68640449
Like I said, her persona consists of the worst of hipster tendencies of the 2000s. Like in this case, making generic pop perfect for background car radio sound, but no- its special and unique- simply because she isn't a household name yet. Same shit happened with the black keys and will repeat itself here.

Also, that's not entirely true to start with, she's popular as shit, she's all over "normalfag" spotify playlists and has millions of hits on YouTube alone.
>>
>>68640544
>implying you must be deluded to like her
>implying grimes isn't efortlessly likeable
>>
>>68640324
All my favorite artists have something about them that I find (at least occasionally) annoying on some level. It's a major part of how I determine whether I really like a thing in the first place - whether it makes me uncomfortable on some level. I like art that pushes me out of my comfort zone because it makes my life more interesting.

PS: OP, I'd highly suggest just ignoring the mudslinging going on between the more strident/less music-literate (in the academic sense) Grimes fans and most of /mu's current troll population. By and large it's all just meaningless noise.
>>
>>68640434
depth or vapidity and "artistic direction" are almost 100% interpretation by critics though. being deemed "artistic" doesn't signify anything other than 'i like it". her novelty (=creativity) is often overstated but how does that impact the idea itself?
>>
>>68640544
take...that....back !
>>
>>68640577
>generic pop perfect for background car radio sound
Here we go again. WHO THE FUCK DID HER KIND OF MUSIC BEFORE SHE STARTED HER CAREER?
>>
>>68639584
>he doesn't know the difference between post and thread
Lurk more
>>
>>68639998
>If you don't enjoy hyper-melodic electropop
average k and j-pop is better than AA. better producers by miles
>>
>>68640658
>is better
>not explaining why
>>
>>68640631
Grimes is compensation: the artist

She's ugly as sin, flat chested, no ass, she's inferior. So she forcefully makes up for it by being lawl quirky, lawl artsy. Its a basic survival tactic. Nobody in such a sad state can be truly genuine in their intention, or in this case artistic.

Whatever. Its not Genuine or creative but it's interesting to see an ugly person be a normie popstar for once. I'll give her that.
>>
>>68640658
Better because you say so?
>>
>>68640773
We're talking about music or about her look?

>she's inferior
So, you're a fucking nazi. I have one advice: go fuck yourself.
>>
>>68640773
>Nobody in such a sad state can be truly genuine in their intention, or in this case artistic.
"because i say so, according to my idea of what is genuine or not"? defense mechanisms are arguably very real motivations.
>>
>>68640773
suck a pen15
>>
>>68640773
How old are you?
>>
>>68640773
If she's ugly then it means people like her only because of her great music, idiot.
>>
>>68640844
Sexual appeal. People are driven by sex
>>
>>68641037
No, people like her also for that reason: she's ugly so ugly people connect: "one of us" mentality. Its been done with every relevant popstar, this is the new form of it as materialism is unfashionable so artists can't just name-drop or mention status symbols anymore.
>>
>>68640257
You, guy. I see you popping up in every thread in which there is an even cursory mention of Grimes, constantly.
Do you even do anything else except sit on 4chan and wait for someone to say something negative about Grimes so you can shit yourself in indignation?

Anyway, I just wanted to say this. The way your posts read, the way you speak(that is the way you type), it gives me off very creepy, gross, obsessive vibes. Like you might be mentally ill or something. I can't put my finger on why, but you just sound off and unwell. Maybe you should look into getting professional help before you become the next Ricardo Lopez, alright?
>>
>>68640773
really made me think.
>>
>>68641071
>she's ugly so ugly people connect: "one of us" mentality
You are incredibly retarded. Go kys immediately.
>>
>>68641071
gimme some citations on your armchair psychology
>>
File: GESAEutEy6M.jpg (135KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
GESAEutEy6M.jpg
135KB, 1000x667px
>>68640773
>>68641071
you know I refrain from posting this stuff, because honestly it's /mu/ and belongs elsewhere (and frankly it's disrespectful in the first place. you anons need to controls yourselves), but how can you seriously NOT find her attractive?
She has a great figure (albeit very slim), takes care of herself, and her face. By god that is the face of a deity, I have seen it. Those high cheekbones, that jaw, those ears, that nose... and christ almighty those eyes and that brow are like a sucker punch delivered straight to the brain's lust center. She's absolutely gorgeous, and her physical beauty is only helped out by the fact that she's an extremely talented creative (no matter how much you and your stupid friends like to argue otherwise) with a penchant for making excellent, catchy songs. She's also got a huge heart and excellent fashion sense, and overall she represents the pinnacle of the post-ironic, post-internet millennial.
>>
>>68641071
>ugly people connect
If she would be like a topmodel you would say people like her because she's beautiful. Your logic stinks.
>>
>>68641076
You, guy. I see you popping up in every thread in which there is an even cursory mention of Grimes, constantly.
Do you even do anything else except sit on 4chan and wait for someone to say something negative about Grimes so you can shit yourself in indignation?

Anyway, I just wanted to say this. The way your posts read, the way you speak(that is the way you type), it gives me off very creepy, gross, obsessive vibes. Like you might be mentally ill or something. I can't put my finger on why, but you just sound off and unwell. Maybe you should look into getting professional help before you become the next Ricardo Lopez, alright?
>>
>>68641258
yikes are you ok dude
>>
>>68641223
oh my god this is the worst thing i've read in like 20 months
>>
>>68641281
>>
>>68641076
Do you even do anything else except sit on 4 chan and wait for someone to say something negative about Grimes so you can shit yourself in indignation?

>>
>>68641121
What a fucking imbecile would write off basic fundamental knowledge as armchair psychology. Take a sociology/anthropology class in the 11th grade for your basic citations retard. don't pretend you're not in high school.
>>
>>68641302
>>68641333
>>68641258
>>68641076

Anyway, I just wanted to say this. The way your posts read, the way you speak (that is the way you type), it gives me off very creepy, gross, obsessive vibes. Like you might be mentally ill or something. I can't put my finger on why, but you just sound off and unwell. Maybe you should look into getting professional help before you become the next Ricardo Lopez, alright?
>>
File: IMG_8704.png (652KB, 546x613px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8704.png
652KB, 546x613px
>>68641295
Suck a pen15, cunt. We're all sick of you.
>>
>>68641357
>>68641333
>>68641302
>>68641258
glad ur finally deciding to kill ur own thread
>>
>>68641223
Ditto that, my dude. She's atrractive yet only on the outside. Her personality is yucky based on what I read in her interviews on websites like Vogue, and from what was seen on camera. There's women that are a lot more cute with better personalities irl, you know.
>>
>>68640773
Which is exactly why Grimes is the ultimate, consummate artist.

Art is nothing more than physical manifestations of a human being's efforts to compensate for the things in life that they lack.

Believe it or not, your little screed here (clearly meant as an insult) is one of the greatest backhanded compliments an artist could ever hope to receive.
>>
>>68641347
of course you'd get defensively aggressive. it's not just that specific claim, you couldn't back up anything you've said itt, like i said, you seem full of shit and hellbent on some kind of typecasting for whatever reason, i don't fucking care what that might be
>>
So so... many copypastas going on inside this thread. 'Tis truly fascinating.
>>
>>68640279
album art
>>
File: 1476984622008.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1476984622008.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
>>68641584
>>
I like Grimes' music, basically the same thing as top 40 tried to do in the not too distant past rearranging the sounds from rave music into pop tracks, but she pulls it off better. The fact that an indie musician can make better pop music, even within the same conceptual framework, than professional songwriters with unlimited resources, and that it sounds just as nice if not better, is a huge argument for why the mainstream doesn't matter as much anymore. I don't really like her aesthetic which has not much depth and mostly seems to revolve around her mugging for the camera with nice hair but you can ignore that pretty easily
>>
>106 replies
>24 posters
Holy shit, grimesposters literally are just grimesposter
>>
>>68639792
Legit tho I hope we get an art angels deluxe edition

Like the bonus tracks being
1. Realiti (demo)
2. Go
3. Be A Body (New Version)
4. Medieval Warfare
And then maybe 2 rejects from the album sessions or something
>>
>>68643925
Why would she include Go?
>>
>>68643841
Why yes, grimesposters are just grimesposters...
>>
>>68644428
Are you illiterate
>>
>>68644732
Lol Is that supposed to be a question? 'Cuz if so...
>>
>>68639315
annoying to you. actually very good songwriting and song structures.

learn how to pay less attention to the actual person or voice, and more to the notes, melodies, changes, etc.
>>
>>68639315
You are correct to be honest.
>>
i hope our grimey is sleeping well
>>
File: 69c.jpg (14KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
69c.jpg
14KB, 480x480px
came to this thread to laugh at grimesfags losing their shit, but this is too pathetic to even laugh at.
>>
>>68639998
>>68639839
You've both be meme'd. The album is good on the first couple of listens, but then after that it starts to sound really annoying.
>>
>>68646398
I listen to it every day since its release and still get goosebumps each time.
>>
>>68639443
>it's now /b/ to call newfags out for being new
This fucking board
>>
>>68641395
>>68641375
>>
>>68643841
you're a grimesposter too. you just posted about grimes...
>>
>>68643925
Go is too old. She should include Realiti (demo), Be a Body (new live version), Oblivion (new live version) and 3 songs did during AA sessions.
>>
>>68646398
You're memed. This album sounds great every single time I play it.
>>
>>68640246
absolutely fucking this
art angels feels like grimes turning away from the sound and aesthetic which really worked for her, and while it's a decent album i always come out of it feeling sad because she'll never return to what really worked for her
if she'd kept grinding in the style of Visions we might have got some incredible stuff, but i guess mainstream pop money is too good to pass up
>>
The haters argument is so weak....
Voignamirians, don't feed the haters, we already know how amazing she is.
>>
File: 5395492430_fe480b58f4_o.png (219KB, 332x360px) Image search: [Google]
5395492430_fe480b58f4_o.png
219KB, 332x360px
>>68647985
Grimes always wanted to be a popstar and well known. This is from February 2011:
>what are your future plans?
>Be an international pop star, go to Japan, visit stonehenge, visit the vatican library. Eventually move to the west coast and get a degree

>your 3 favorite bands:
>Rihanna,
>Gang gang dance,
>Prince ??? (hard question...)

http://web.archive.org/web/20160820124335/http://megapeng.net/features/feature_02.11_grimes.html

Great artists always try to evolve/change their sound. If she would have done Visions 2, she would be in a worse position than now.

Another relevant piece of info:
>CB: [Laughs] Everyone calls us hipsters, and we decided we’re not really hipsters. We were trying to decide where we fit in the spectrum of sub-genres, and we kind of concluded that we’re surrealist yuppies, because we’re really into mainstream pop music and hi-fi things and catchy things and making things awesome. We’re into working really hard and eating healthy food and exercising, and we’re also really into psychedelic experimentation and being weird. Obviously doing weird things with our music.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2012-10-04/surrealist-yuppie-grimes/
>>
File: 1462360721379.png (135KB, 421x583px) Image search: [Google]
1462360721379.png
135KB, 421x583px
>>68648133
As someone who has seen Grimes live and been a fan for almost a year now, I have to say that she is repeating the cycle of My Chemical Romance, where they started of as artsy, enchanting, quirky and original, then became ashamed of the aesthetics and turned into generic, plain pop sound and quickly losing the inital interest people had in them.

I am sad that she is pushing the SJW-esque pop-princess image too hard, instead of her previous artsy and mystical indie girl image. I am not a right winger but her open support of BLM, Trudeau and contant bombardment of political stuff is getting too old for me, since it comes off as pretentious and arrogant. Why the fuck can't she keep her music and her political views separated from each other? This is exactly why the tabloids make constant effort to hold her as a spokeswoman for feminism, as being a female producer, a role which she denies but does nothing to diminish that SJW association.

I am giving Grimes the benefit of a doubt by hoping that she moves away from mainstream and takes time to draw inspiration from underground indie EDM scene, to then come back with something that is equal parts mystical and crazy. If she does not do it, I write her off as a literal prostitute who is in it for money and those chinese friends, not for artistic expression!
>>
File: IMG_8230.jpg (334KB, 1124x1646px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8230.jpg
334KB, 1124x1646px
The album is a reaction (a big FU) to the music industry and the reception of Go w/ Blood Diamonds. It's indie pop so fuck all the pretentious hipsters on /mu/

Pic related
>>
It sounds like DXM. Claire was roboing when she painted that cover and when she made those songs. I have no doubts.
>>
>>68648386
>quickly losing the inital interest people had in them
This doesn't apply to Grimes. She has lots of older fans. Maybe the bandwagon jumpers left the fandom (many of them introduced to Grimes by P4K). They never mattered anyway. The song California is about them.

There is no shortage of Grimes fans. If some fans don't like her music anymore, so be it. All artists have to face the difficult decision to make more of the same or change the style. She decided for the latter and it paid off.

>I am sad that she is pushing the SJW-esque pop-princess image too hard, instead of her previous artsy and mystical indie girl image.
People change. Maybe she got sick of her previous image.

>Why the fuck can't she keep her music and her political views separated from each other?
They're separated. She's not preaching about SJW or other obvious political stuff in her music.

>If she does not do it, I write her off as a literal prostitute who is in it for money and those chinese friends, not for artistic expression!
And she would be so affected by your hate... What bigger artistic expression do you want for her than to make the music she wants to make? If you have a problem with the poppier direction of her music, it's your problem. She's not here to make customized music to you. You like what she's offering or you don't, life goes on.
>>
>>68648526
Maybe you're right. I was mad previously when I saw her response to why she disabled her youtube comments (wtf is MRA creeps? I automatically assumed she meant people who do not approve of her love for SJW stuff or use the wrong pronouns) and started ranting, but I have to admit that I probably will keep listening to her and try to pay not so much attention to her news feeds.
>>
>>68648386
>As someone who has seen Grimes live and been a fan for almost a year now, I have to say that she is repeating the cycle of My Chemical Romance, where they started of as artsy, enchanting, quirky and original, then became ashamed of the aesthetics and turned into generic, plain pop sound and quickly losing the inital interest people had in them.
And yet, Art Angels is still artsy, enchanting, quirky and original. Just a different kind compared to her older albums. Poppier =/= bad.

There is no other album like Art Angels. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>68648425
blood diamonds is garbage lmao
>>
>>68648568
Learn to separate the artist from the art. You could enjoy her music very well without knowing anything about her.
>>
AA should have been an ep. has some of grimes worst songs ever
>>
File: 1477138735954.jpg (13KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1477138735954.jpg
13KB, 400x225px
>>68639315
>"music is objective" fags will say this album is objectively good if OP is right because it achieves the artist's intention even though it's shit
>>
>>68640773
>judging an artist by their physical qualities rather than judging them by their technical merit
I've never even listened to Grimes, honestly, but your line of thought is pretty retarded.
>>
>>68648692
>even though it's shit
This is where you're wrong. It's shit according to whom? Could even measure that, knowing that music taste is subjective?
>>
>>68648965
I'm not the one who believes in objective taste, although I believe in informed or mature taste.
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.