[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on this album? I think it's of Montreal's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1660.jpg (351KB, 400x416px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1660.jpg
351KB, 400x416px
Opinions on this album? I think it's of Montreal's best. Maybe even better than SmiLe
>>
Agree 100%
>>
Hissing Fauna tho
>>
Not in my top 5 but that means nothing for a band as incredible as Of Montreal. Coquelicot's a brilliant album with zany melodies, complex polyrhythms, and outrageous lyricism. It's an incredibly dense album but definitely rewarding
>>
>>68618710
It's underrated for sure. Not as good as SMiLE but close. If Brian Wilson had made it in 2001, critics would be jumping over each other to declare it the greatest musical achievement of all time.
>>
I remember reading somewhere that "the Gay Parade" was the indie pop equivalent of Sgt. Pepper. So would you say Coquelicot is the indie pop version of Magical Mystery Tour? Personally I think that saying it's the indie pop equivalent of SMiLE would make more sense.
>>
>>68620138
I don't really like comparing their albums to other ones like that, but I don't think it's very close to either of them. I'd probably call it closer to Odyssey or some shit but even that's not a good one
>>
>>68618710
Actual best oM album coming through
>>
>>68618710
I agree with best of Montreal, but i've never been interested enough in listening to anything coming after it. I'm super into the E6 but I get the vibe Barnes tried to distance himself from that and that's a turn off for me
>>
>>68620309
>>68620309
Not mine, but respectable. 9/10 album. Spiteful Intervention, Dour Percentage, and Exorcismic Breeding Knife are fucking masterpieces
>>
>>68618710
yeah, probably their best. good choice
>>
>>68620274
Lmao I was listening to Odessey when I wrote that. I get what you mean tho.
>>68620309
Amazing album
>>
>>68620344
You actually would really like Satanic Panic if you're more into the general E6 vibe that OTC and Circulatory System go for. It's much more indebted to psych rock and the Beatles than their other albums
>>
>>68620419
Dope album. Have you heard Evolution by The Hollies? I think you might like it if you dig that. It's much more like psych pop but has that sunny feel to it
>>
Thoughts on the new album? I think it's been pretty underrated. Les Chants de Morodor and Chaos Arpeggiating are stellar tracks.
>>
>>68620525
Those are great and I love gratuitous Abysses as well. I'd call it underrated only in the sense that most people have been shitting on it, but it definitely is not even on par as far as OM's incredibly high album standard goes.
>>
>>68620474
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>68620525
I really liked the album. Fav tracks are probably Let's Relate, Gratuitous Abysses, Chaos Arpegiatting and Nursing Slopes
>>
>>68620525
Those two are my favorites as well, along with Nursed Slopes. Really the whole album is solid outside of Sport and a Pastime.
>>
>>68620597
Sure, let me know what you thought if it if you ever catch my trip in another thread or something, I'm interested
>>68620623
I don't care for It's Different For Girls, although it was great live for some reason
>>
>>68620654
Everything is great live when there's crazy costumes, visuals, and that crowd energy.
>>
>>68620701
Couldn't agree more.

I live in Athens so I saw them at their first show to kick off the tour for the album(as they do with every album) and they put on a stunning show. I mean they're always fantastic but they really broke out a lot of effects and shit for this one, and Kevin came into the crowd riding on this weird donkey contraption and then crowdsurfed later on. It was nuts
>>
>>68620751
Damn. What's it like living in Athens? Is the E6 a big thing there nowadays?
>>
>>68618710
AYYY
i love this one, I think its a bit too derivative but I love it, makes me smile every time.
>>
>>68620138
If I were going to compare an oM album to Sgt Peppers it's probably Sunlandic Twins
>>
>>68620906
Isnt that asking someone from Seattle if Grunge is a big thing nowadays?
>>
Semi-related. Anyone else just at their concert at HSU? The crowd was surprisingly good, was scared not many people would show up. I hope they start playing there regularly, I despise the drive south on i5 to go to their San Fransisco shows. I'm in the middle of San Fransisco and Humboldt and I would pick a windy drive through the forest over a straight drive through the northern valley wasteland any day
>>
Coquelicot is by far their best

also, every album from sunlandic twins until the recent one has been varying degrees of shit except hissing fauna
>>
>>68622591
I almost went, but I just didn't dig the latest album enough to warrant going out.\

Saw them back when they toured for Sunlandic Twins and it was rad.
>>
>>68622704
Most of the performance was older stuff with like 2 songs from the newest album. That's how each of the 4~ shows I've been too. They always play some of my favorites from skeletal, hissing fauna, sunlandic, etc
>>
>>68622704
I think its worth it just for his brothers statues

I actually might go just for that especially since I have to work. Just run in for ten minutes and pick something up.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.