[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You guys are taking this album too lightly. It's probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9

File: danny-brown-atrocity-exhibition.jpg (105KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
danny-brown-atrocity-exhibition.jpg
105KB, 768x768px
You guys are taking this album too lightly. It's probably one of the first "post-rap" albums. This will reach TVU&N levels of influence in the following years. Mark my words.
>>
>>68617623
what does post rap mean
>>
>>68617629
It's a buzzword. There is some truth to it though; there probably will emerge a genre named "post-rap" in the future.

>>68617623
This and The Money Store, really.
>>
>>68617623
>rockfags won't accept this
I seriously don't get why you fags don't think hip-hop is a valid art genre. Rock was just as terrible when it started, yet look at how it changed with time. We may be approaching the 60's of hip-hop music.
>>
>>68618078
You are the rockfag here, trying to force hip-hop into a comparative narrative to rock music. If anything, the golden era of hiphop is the 60s. Even that is a bad comparison because hip hop diversified much more during that time than rock did in the 60s.
>>
>>68618078

90s was the 60s of hip-hop. We're now in the late-70s of hip-hop, where more experimental trends emerge.
>>
File: Bpuvam4IQAAmb3l.jpg.jpg (81KB, 418x724px) Image search: [Google]
Bpuvam4IQAAmb3l.jpg.jpg
81KB, 418x724px
>>68618396
mind=blown
>>
>Post Rap
kek
>>
File: wtfisthis.jpg (88KB, 594x395px) Image search: [Google]
wtfisthis.jpg
88KB, 594x395px
>>68618341
>hip-hop existed in the 60s
>>68618396
also this is the correct analogy
>>
If anything this is derivative of "post rap".

Death Grips and clipping. as well as b l a c k i e, Dalek and arguably ratking and busdriver have all been making hip-hop music that pushes the genre into something completely outside it's original influences.

Their uses of beats with inconsistent tempos/abstract or arythmic tracks along with delivery styles and subject matter outside that of standard rap are ways that these artists would be classified as "post rap"
>>
>>68618480
>Is the 60s
as in compares to the 60s. Everybody knows hip hop wasn't around in the sixties. Thank God you pointed it out
>>
>>68618396
No, we're in the early 90s of hip-hop. Death Grips is Nirvana.
>>
The songs on the album are literally inspired directly from post-rock. Golddust samples Joy Divisions song Atrocity Exhibition
>>
@ 2:41 on When it rain, the way his voice loops with his own voice still rapping over it make me think it was an idea he got from death grips.
>>
whatever you're saying this album does exmilitary already did better like 5 years ago
and probably some other album did it before that
>>
>>68618482
i'd agree with this
>>
is production the most important quality in hiphop?
>>
Atrocity Exhibition features odd instrumentation and rhythms, but all the song structures (verse-hook-verse-hook-verse-hook), lyrical themes, and general style are still hip hop. It's such a stretch to use the term "post-hip hop" because all "post-" genres were labeled as such for different reasons. Post-rock used rock instrumentation to make a few specific styles of spacious/ambient music, post-punk combined punk with other influences and post-grunge was literally just a sell-out version of grunge

If you have to say someone invented post-hip hop, DJ Shadow and especially DJ Spooky were already doing very experimental things with hip hop 20 years ago
>>
>>68619583
sometimes good production can carry workmanlike rapping, and sometimes great rapping elevates generic beats.
>>
>its another white people decide what hip-hop is episode
>>
>>68617623
The thing is, a lot of people are gonna sleep on this, the album is a masterpiece but it doesn't go down easy. No one will remember it but everyone important in hip-hop's future is going to cite this as a major influence
>>
i absolutely love this album but it kind of bothers me how danny mentions cocaine and hennessy like fifty goddamn times
>>
>>68617623
As if it is different than any other rap albums
>>
>>68619812
>y-y-you can't feel the struggle unless you're black like me!
>>
>>68620296
Seriously though, white people do sort of do decide what hip-hop is from a mainstream level
>>
File: 1470551662328.jpg (68KB, 381x764px) Image search: [Google]
1470551662328.jpg
68KB, 381x764px
>Rap is a genre
really though until they make an album full of 'Aint it funny's' and 'Up my sleeves' and ditch the verse hook verse sequence nothing is post hip-hop no matter how good it is.
>>
just because it's production is postpunk influenced it doesn't mean that it's not a hiphop album at it's core.
not saying it's not good, i enjoyed it, i just don't think it broke any new ground. good music doesn't always have to break new ground.
>>
>>68619812
>m-muh cultural appropriation

literally destroy yourself
>>
When will math-rap be a thing?
>>
Danny Brown's next album will be very noisy and sample Les Rallizes Denudes. Critics and fans will be divided but it will end up being considered one of the most important albums of the early 21st century.

Screencap this.
>>
>>68620918
Fuck off, Danny
>>
>>68620725
As soon as Greg Puciato trades screaming for spitting bars.
>>
>>68620725
Never, who would want their flow to be all fucked up
>>
>>68617623
Danny Brown is good but he's incredibly reddit rap
>>
>>68617623
I'm a huge Danny Brown fan, but I think his older stuff was better, I feel like he was more emotional with "Hot Soup" and "XXX"
>>
this album sucked big donkey dick
>>
>>68620725
>death grips
>zach hill
>doing irregular time signatures and drumming he learned from math rock

Gee I don't know it seems like math rap has already been done. Sorry pal but death grips has done more innovation in hip hop than all the Danny brown's and Kendrick's combined.
>>
>>68621209
Which DG songs have weird time signatures? I could have swore they all grooved with the standard 4/4.
>>
>>68621284
NOTM is a perfect example
>>
>>68621307
Huh, more reason for me to herald it as their best then.
>>
File: dead dead chp 1 pg 14.jpg (42KB, 611x303px) Image search: [Google]
dead dead chp 1 pg 14.jpg
42KB, 611x303px
>>68620516
I wouldn't say that it needs to sound like Up My Sleeve to be post-hip hop, I would say to truly be post-hip hop, but I can see where you're coming from.
>>
The craziest beat in Danny's catalogue is still on ODB, the song that was cut from Old because the sample couldn't get cleared. LISTEN to this shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0boHcBFSR0
This track alone is why Atrocity Exhibition wasn't as big of a smack in the face from left field for me - I'd already experienced just how nuts Paul White's production can get.
>>
>>68621284
voila = 6/8 - 4/4 - 6/4
>>
>>68619812
White guys connect!
>>
>>68621149
shut the fuck up
>>
>>68621667
Thanks for the Details.
>>
>>68617623
I like the album, but much like the rest of hip-hop, it doesn't stray far from genre conventions so it won't be a landmark album.
>>
>>68618792
>Joy Division
>post-rock
>>
>>68620064
It triggers my autism that there are two songs named after cocaine (Golddust and White Lines) right after one another in the track listing. As perfectly as they go with each other the titles look weird together.
>>
>>68617623
The only "weird" songs on the album are Downward Spiral, White Lines, When it Rain, and to an extent From the Ground and Rolling Stone. Everything else is pretty standard hip-hop with very dark undertones.
>>
>>68622172
Ain't It Funny?
>>
>>68622128
sorry, post-punk. big fucking difference. hipster faggot
>>
Just checked on RYM and Atrocity Exhibition is rated 0.38 higher than Boy In Da Corner.
How can I even take RYM seriously? This is a fucking joke.
Atrocity Exhibition is what it is - an exhibition of atrocious music, while Boy In Da Corner is a fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>68618792
you're thinking of post punk
>>
Shut the fuck up with your bullshit "subgenre"
>>
>>68620457
i mean honestly i feel like white people kind of jump on trends started by black fans. Like the only rappers that blew up primarily off of white fanbases from the beginning are people like macklemore. Sure white people love trap now and play young thug all the time but most of his fans were black when he first started.
>>
>>68621149
he sounds nothing like childish gambino or watsky
>>
>>68623252
It's just that everybody plays Young Thug now.
>>
File: 1473983646744.jpg (144KB, 628x628px) Image search: [Google]
1473983646744.jpg
144KB, 628x628px
>>68621206
Pfft dis guuuuuy
>>
>>68622149
Hes been doing a lot of coke dude
>>
>>68618611
No, hip hop already had their Nirvana. They actually had two Nirvanas. Biggie and Tupac. Our follow-ups to their death just weren't miserable as post-grunge was for rock.
>>
>>68618792
and that does not make it anything more than a more accomplished version of post-punk revival
>>
>>68623544
WE ARE THE NEW AMERICANA
>>
It takes samples and musical influence from unusual places - for hip-hop.
As the other anon said this still uses well established hip-hop structure, so it is not as subversive as some people seem to think.
>>
>>68623252
>Maybe because these rappers emerge in black communities?
>>
People said all this stuff about De La Soul once
>>
No its not.
shabazz palaces did the same shit years ago
>>
>>68618341
This.
Hip hop is hip hop. Rock is rock.
Fucking structuralists get out.
>>
>>68620725
Clipping - story 2
>>
>>68617623
marked
>>
>>68621149
kek, what a pleb
>>
>>68621149
what does that even mean?
>>
>>68623172
there is a big difference, but you wouldn't know that nigger
>>
>>68621209
yeah seriously. Death Grips will be acclaimed as the starting point of many innovations in rap/hip-hop, similar to what The Velvet Underground is to rock.
>>
it would be interesting if danny brown's voice wasn't so unbearably annoying that it distracts from the music
there's way better post-rap that's come out this year
>>
>>68627188
Danny Brown's voice is what makes him so unique and interesting. When Danny raps in his normal voice, the songs tend to be much more personal and about shit that happened in his real life that may have affected him or people around him, while his high pitched voice is associated with his festival banger songs.

With AE, I feel like Danny's high-pitched voice over these darker, more skeletal and experimental beats are almost like the result of what has happened in all of his party bangers.

So much drinking and drugs has left him in this strung out state where he's in a bad trip of sorts, and he is the Atrocity Exhibition. All his substance use has put his mind in this much darker, atrocious state, and the album explores the darker parts of how substances affected him. That's just how I see it though, my own personal lore/theories.
>>
>>68627336
I understand what he's trying to do with the crazy voice but it sounds too forced to me so I don't buy the persona
>>
>>68627188
It's not annoying, it's inaccessible. Once you get past it you'll enjoy his music and his voice.
>>
Yen Tech did the I'm a crazy man with a crazy voice thing better this year
https://soundcloud.com/yentech/sets/mobis
>>
>its a white people compare black music to white music episode
yawn
>>
File: ok kid.jpg (4KB, 119x125px) Image search: [Google]
ok kid.jpg
4KB, 119x125px
>>68617623
>>
>>68627675
literally who
>>
>>68618396
we're in the late 70s/early 80s of rap, where "punk" (danny brown, clpping, busdriver) is a direct backlash against mindless radio "disco" (future, 21 savage, kevin gates, desiigner)

we arent even onto postpunk/new wave rap
>>
>>68623201
kill urself
>>
i loved this album, probably my AOTY, but i don't understand that "post-rap" thing you guys are talking about, actually i don't see anything 100% original, (yeah i know anything is 100% original but anyway i just don't see it)
>>
>>68628511
Id say we are emerging into the post punk of rap. Lil b is the tvu of rap. 6 kiss is his tvu & n. Red flame evil edition is his white light white heat
>>
>>68621149
Kinda have to agree with this, sorry mu. Danny Brown is definitely "white people rap" right up there with Kendrick Run the Jewels and Death Grips.
>>
>>68628511
so danny brown is joy division
>>
>>68627336
Actually, in songs like Tell Me What I Don't Know I thinked it was another person, kek.
>>
>>68629068
Always see this complaint. What do you fucking coons enjoy? or if you tell everyone and white people start listening will you have to find a new pet artist.
>>
>>68629290
not him but... I don't think it's "white people rap" (shitty buzzword) I think it's just alot of black communities grow up listening to trap or gangster rap.
>>
>>68628511
this is funny
rap was a reaction to disco to begin with
>>
this fuckin topic has me in tears
>>
Is this the album kId Cudi wishes he made?
>>
File: Orson.png (303KB, 528x460px) Image search: [Google]
Orson.png
303KB, 528x460px
>Listening to first track
>Still has that "STUH" sound effect

kek
>>
>>68617623
kys
>>
>>68630436
AINT IT FUNNY HOW IT HAPPENS
>>
>>68629071
>"Danny Brown has named his new album Atrocity Exhibition after the Joy Division song"
>>
>>68620725
That's literally NOTM
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.