[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT Music opinions you get scorned for >still listening to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 4

File: 1474342512453.png (512KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1474342512453.png
512KB, 785x757px
ITT Music opinions you get scorned for
>still listening to music made before the 90s is pointless
>vocals ruin so many songs
>instrumental bands and electronic artists are the most patrician music
>most rap is terrible
>most emo is terrible
>most punk is terrible
>most musicians are overall condescending assholes
>>
le agnry froge!!! *gets u mad on purpose*XD
>>
>wrong
>right
>wrong
>right right and right, insofar as most music is trash
>right
>>
>Syd Barrett led Pink Floyd is by-and-large better than later Pink Floyd
>>
Wrong generationers are right when it comes to pop (as in chart) music.
>>
>sad music is overrated
>>
>>68609458
This is an unpopular opinions thread
>>
>>68609483
Yeah this one always bothers me.
Look at eighties top 40 charts and it's mostly trash but late sixties ones are full of the Beatles and the doors and other widely acclaimed artists that dominated pop and rock for years. You can call those artists shit but if you think chart toppers today are anywhere near them your opinion is shit.
>>
>>68609377
Unironically enjoying Tonight and Never Let Me Down more than the Berlin trilogy
>>
Bohemian Rhapsody is an incredibly annoying and overrated song
>>
>>68610649
I wouldn't say better than Berlin Trilogy, but I totally feel you on Tonight. Loving the Alien is some of the best art pop out there.
>>
AnCo is shit
>>
le right generation
>>
>trent reznor is a dumbass
>>
>>68610724
I really do find myself going back to Tonight constantly. It has some seriously strong hitters on it. The whole album feels so energetic and happy, always feel like dancing listening to it.
>>
>>68610813
OP said unpopular opinions
>>
>>68609377
Where did this "most of x genre is shit" meme come from?
>>
>>68609377
>b8
>ok
>b8
>I only listen to rap on the radio and haven't bothered to explore the genre
>true
>true
>maybe
>>
File: jeanne.jpg (115KB, 754x569px) Image search: [Google]
jeanne.jpg
115KB, 754x569px
>Beethoven, Mozart and Bach are not the best composers of all times, nor even the best of their time, although still respectable artists.

>Jazz Music reached its peak after the 60s

>Gleen Gould's Bach interpretations shouldn't be respected.

>50s-70s is the golden era for Electronic Music

>Classical Period is by far the worst period

>Metal and Punk are a subgenre of Rock
>>
>>68610882
rec me some 50s and 60s electronic music, i'm intrugued
>>
>>68610625
I agree
I think this is the cause for most wrong generation spouting to be honest family.
>>
File: 1425600802702.jpg (20KB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
1425600802702.jpg
20KB, 420x300px
>FolkPunk is always bad
>AnCo is good, but very overrated
>Coil is industrial
>Coil is not just for homosex
> most traditional Punk and most Pop-Punk is straight ass
>Rap is a viable form of music
>Death Metal is a worse form of Black Metal
>Thrash Metal sucks
>Pop music is good, in short bursts
>Deafheaven is BM
>Spiderland is ASS
>Death Grapes are good
>Noise isn't just a meme
>Liturgy is pretentious bullshit
>The new Bon Iver is pretentious bullshit
>Grouper/ Chelsea Wolfe are best girls and never get threads
>music is good
>>
>>68611021
Karlheinz Stockhausen - Gesang der Junglinge
Pierre Schaeffer - Symphonie pour un homme seul
Luigi Nono - La Fabrica Illuminata
Luciano Berio - Visage
Milton Babbitt - Philomel
Gordon Mumma - Megaton
Charles Wuorinen - Time's Encomium
>>
>>68609377
>>still listening to music made before the 90s is pointless

There is some truth to this

Lyrics are difficult

Patrician is self-defeating anyway

>most rap is terrible
There's an awful lot of junk out there for the in-initiated

>most emo is terrible
I wasn't there at the time

>most punk is terrible
True

>most musicians are overall condescending assholes
I've never met many
>>
>>68611134
>pretentious as criticism of music
DROPPED.
>>
aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh
>>
>>68610882
>Metal and Punk are a subgenre of Rock
i don't know anyone who would disagree with this
>>
>>68611160
>There is some truth to this
No, there isn't.
>>
>>68611136
>Yurps
>>
>>68610672
Finally someone who speaks the goddamn truth.

'GALILEO GALILEO GALILEO FIGAROO!'

Christ...

Even worse because Queen had some good songs and this fucks everything into a corner.
>>
>>68609444
7/7, see me after class ;)
>>
>>68611287
For me there is. I'm tired of retrospect, I want a future to look forward to.
>>
>>68611342
>Mumma
>Babbitt
>Wuorinen
>Yurps
>>
nightwish was a good band
dream theater is massively overrated but still good
a moon shaped pool is radioheads best album
generals on /mu/ are fine
not all tripfags are awful, just most of them
le wrong generation music (led zeppelin, bob dilian etc) should not be allowed on essential charts, you can get that shit from reddit
>>68609377
>still listening to music made before the 90s is pointless
no
yes
not inherently so but in general yes
>most rap is terrible
>most emo is terrible
>most punk is terrible
yes
>most people are overall condescending assholes
ftfy
>>68611134
>Pop music is good, in short bursts
very very short bursts
>Death Grapes are good
yep
>Grouper/ Chelsea Wolfe are best girls
haha no, kate bush is best girl
>>
>Sufjan Stevens' albums are a couple moments of brilliance separated by a bunch of lush filler that gets really old really fast
>Sonic Youth isn't cool and their albums are boring
>Gothic rock would be much better without the shitty fashion and homoerotic vocals
>>
>>68609458
>>68610408
>Falling for the DUDE WEED Pink Floyd > Waters Pink Floyd meme
wew

>>68610882
Correct on Jazz and Electronic music
>>
>>68611596
>dream theater is massively overrated but still good
finally someone says it
>>
>>68610882
>50s-70s is the golden era for Electronic Music
How so?
>>
>>68611134
Chelsea Wolfe is a hack
>dude bland folk but with a lot of reverb lmao
>>
>The only good things about hip hop are characteristics that other genres do better.
>If you truly enjoy potent words spoken quickly with no melody, go snap your fingers at a poetry slam.

>metal is the most cringe/boring genre, being that its supposed to be manly and historical/folky, but it has no testosterone or historical value. This causes its fanbase to be socially inept manchildren.

>I have no idea how people listen to most classic rock with its terrible guitar tone and boring drums

>radiohead is good at sounding "cool" but rarely makes music I want to repeatedly listen to

>both albums and playlists are viable ways of listening to music

>most good music doesn't work well in a social setting besides concerts

>all of this said, expressing any of these opinions to anyone who enjoys these genres makes you look like jaded asshole
>>
>>68612429
>most good music doesn't work well in a social setting besides concerts

this is 100% true
>>
>Modern popular music (rock rap pop punk alternative indie psych ect electronica) is severely lacking in good use of dynamics, crescendos, and developing songs. EDM is sorta the reverse, abusing easy builds to crest depth where there is non. Current popular exceptions to this (whether I like them or not) Bon Iver, Grimes, Tame Impala, James Blake, Glass Animals.

>vocal jazz is underrated

>we are in the golden era of vocal pop.

>rap is a legitimate form of music held back by so few artists willing to push it's boundaries. As much as I dislike death grips and their fans can't deny they are true innovators. Kendrick and Chance are other two big rappers pushing the genre. Kanye hasn't done anything significant since 808.
>>
>the music i like is amazing and the music you like is terrible
>>
>>68611596
>dream theater is massively overrated but still good
Have you heard The Astonishing? It's like a fourth grader wrote babby's first GoT/Star Wars fanfiction. Unfortunately the abysmal story gets in the way of the music. There's some good stuff too, like "Three Days", but it's surrounded by cheesy voice acting and unnecessary short songs that exist just to push the "plot" forward .
>>
>>68609377
>>still listening to music made before the 90s is pointless
This really is fucking stupid. The rest is just a matter of taste and isn't a big deal.
>>
>>68614507
>This really is fucking stupid. The rest is just a matter of taste and isn't a big deal.

How is that not a matter of taste? Why is that so much worse than anything else listened? How fucking dumb can you be?
>>
>>68614533
Because it implies there's a reason for listening to music beyond simply enjoying it. And there's no reason you can't get just as much joy from a song from the 1950s as you can from something released this year.

If he had said "I don't like music from before the 90s" then it would be a matter of taste. But saying it's POINTLESS just shows an incredible amount of pretension. As if there's something greater achieved by listening to music post 1980s other than making yourself happy.
>>
File: tumblr_nmdo9m2aoI1sf1el2o2_1280.jpg (120KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmdo9m2aoI1sf1el2o2_1280.jpg
120KB, 1000x1000px
This is one of the biggest evolutions in music
>>
>>68614575
>As if there's something greater achieved by listening to music post 1980s other than making yourself happy.

So maybe music pre 90s doesn't make him happy and therefore it's pointless to him? Dumbass?
>>
if christian artists would stop with the happy pop Christianity and go with fire and brimstone old testament shit instead, christian music could be great, at least compared to other thematic music(nsbm, anarco-punk etc).
>>
>>68611418
THANK YOU!
>>
>Rush is a really good band. Every member is very competent/talented at their respective instruments
>>
>>68614792
true
>>
>4/4 is boring
>>
>>68609377
>>most rap is terrible
>>most emo is terrible
>>most punk is terrible
most music is terrible
>>
>>68614953
this
>>
>>68614507
>This really is fucking stupid
agreed
>just a matter of taste
protip: taste is completely objective on a psychological level, nothing is ever "just a matter of taste"
>>
>lofi is more often than not a poor excuse for laziness or poorness
>music is more important than lyrics
>in fact, the lyrics might as well not exist
>concerts are a terrible way to experience most music
>punk sucks
>rap sucks
>black metal sucks
>bossa nova sucks
>>
>>68614953
this x1000
>>
>>68614953
>>68616534
>>68617272
Do you really get scorned for saying this outside /mu/?
>>
>>68609458
This is correct though. Piper is their best album
>>
>>68609406
Found the tumblr user

Insert Steve Buscemi "Hey there fellow 4channers" pic
>>
>>68617312
i have a friend who adamantly hates rush and calls it glorified hair metal
>>
>>68617072
Right (in most cases)
Right
Wrong
Right
Wrong
Wrong
Right
Right
>>
>>68614898
That's ok. I'm here most days.
>>
>>68611418
This is the musical equivalent of "why learn history, what matters it the present". The fact that you think someone can craft a new genre coherently without having knowledge of what has already been done showcases your anti intellectualism. It's also extremely close minded, viewing listening to music from "before the 90's" as "retrospect" rather than listening to what that particular artist had to say, this shows you think of music as an accessory - like a rabid consumer buying the next apple product as soon as it's released.
>>
>>68614953
> Every member is very competent/talented at their respective instruments
True
>Rush is a really good band.
False.
I'm a guy who likes Tales of Topological Oceans, but Rush is wankery gone too far for me
>>
>>68610752
"no u"
>>
>>68617485
It does no such thing as you're disregarding my musical listening up to this point. Though your attitude against a musical philosophy of hearing the voices of the day as more significant than prior echoes is perhaps the aberration here.
>>
>>68609377
emo and punk is about the live energy 90% of the time, u can take ur shitty frog memes and post-rock to your man-cave in ur parents basement to die alone
>>
>>68609377
>most rap is terrible
agree
>>
>>68617537
i don't get where the wankery comes from. all of their songs that are long enough to allow wankery ( apart from la villa strangiata) are tightly put together. like 2112 is a very tightly structured piece, the wankery is story driven and only lasts about 35 seconds
>>
>Modern popular music (rock rap pop punk alternative indie psych ect electronica) is severely lacking in good use of dynamics, crescendos, and developing songs. EDM is sorta the reverse, abusing easy builds to crest depth where there is non. Current popular exceptions to this (whether I like them or not) Bon Iver, Grimes, Tame Impala, James Blake, Glass Animals.
I'd agree, except tame impala. Their first album was decent, but their second one was incredibly bland.
>vocal jazz is underrated
I can't into that shit to save my life, despite enjoying instrumental jazz thoroughly
>we are in the golden era of vocal pop.
we are in the golden age of autotune and extremely advanced production methods, not all pop vocalists are actually good.
>rap is a legitimate form of music held back by so few artists willing to push it's boundaries. As much as I dislike death grips and their fans can't deny they are true innovators. Kendrick and Chance are other two big rappers pushing the genre. Kanye hasn't done anything significant since 808.
I agree fully. It's the reason so many rappers explode onto the scene, then quickly disappear- they do something trendy but then their work quickly becomes white noise as they fail to adapt to innovations put forth by Danny Brown, Kendrick Lamar, etc. I will bet everything I own that Chance the Rapper, Logic, and Desiigner will be completely forgotten about by the end of 2017.
>>
>>68609377
>RAC is good
>>
>>68613460
are Can a shit band because of everything they put out after Bambula?
>>
>>68610882
>50-70s golden age electronic music
Stop right there you disgusting pleb
>>
>>68613037
every time
>>
>>68612429
this is pretty much true.
>>
>the 80s were by far the worst decade for music
>>
>>68611136
These are pretty much my listenings for Intro to Electronic Music at uni.
>>
>>68617577
>It does no such thing as you're disregarding my musical listening up to this point. Though your attitude against a musical philosophy of hearing the voices of the day as more significant than prior echoes is perhaps the aberration here.

They're both just as important. I like new music to, and my favourite album was made after the 90's. But as a musician, I also have immense respects for classical music and seeing as it's something I want to compose I need to listen to the greats and absorb their nuance in order to craft something truly unique. I seriously doubt you've listened to everything worth hearing before the 90's but if you have good on you.
>>
>>68611134
>>Coil is not just for homosex
wrong
>>
>>68617395
>le tumblr meme

go back to /r/music you fuck
>>
>>68609377
>no
>yes
>true
>correct
>affirmative
>indeed
>agreed
no scorn from me

[spoiler]fuck off system, this post is not spam[/spoiler]
>>
>>68621435
[spoiler]it seems you can't have punctuation marks inside a spoiler[/spoiler]
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.