[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Y'all got mad at Iggy Azalea for putting on an accent that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

File: LUM.jpg (339KB, 897x897px) Image search: [Google]
LUM.jpg
339KB, 897x897px
Y'all got mad at Iggy Azalea for putting on an accent that isn't hers but why did y'all give Lil Ugly Mane a pass?
>>
lol this guy thinks anyone cares what Iggy Azalea does
>>
>>68574455
that's not an accent
>>
>>68574455
because he's good
>>
File: jjf.jpg (31KB, 300x359px) Image search: [Google]
jjf.jpg
31KB, 300x359px
>>68574455
>>
>>68574455
He a good producer, fuck what a hater say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBOyMg1gpGI
>>
>>68574455
>implying we gave her shit for this
We're not tumblr we don't care about shit like that. Her music is just pop garbage.
>>
>>68574493
He clearly fakes a southern accent
>>
>>68574455
Honestly hated Ugly for jockin Memphis' sound. His songs banged but it felt like he was makin fun of us
>>
>>68574575
>tfw he's smarter than you'll ever be
>>
>>68574542
it's pitch shifted you dumbfuck. his word use is not what makes an accent. kill yourself
>>
>>68574575
He pretty much never did that again after Mista Thug Isolation.
>>
>>68574542
>never heard him live

stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>>68574575

Ugly Mane did Memphis rap better than Memphis rappers could
>>
>>68574671
Keep telling yourself that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7tenj5V-aE
>>
>>68574655
He obviously puts on a drawl, are you fucking deaf or have you never been south
>>
>>68574670
Talking about his records dumbshit, he fakes that shit in the booth
>>
>>68574455
Yoooo I wondered about this when I heard his unaltered voice for the first time... Everyone's fake now so I don't care lol
>>
File: 1373599805594.gif (1MB, 225x199px) Image search: [Google]
1373599805594.gif
1MB, 225x199px
>>68574455
>>
>>68574655
r u trolling or are you actually retarded?
>>
>>68574655
No one was talking about his word use, but he definitely stole slang from areas he definitely ain't been around lol
>>
>>68574455
Obviously you can't care too much about authenticity from a guy who raps about demons, skeletons, and all sorts of other non-existent horror-themed shit. That being said, it is a little off-putting that a white bedroom rapper from the suburbs would be this comfortable blantantly ripping off southern black slang/culture. However, new Ugly Mane is much different from Mista Thug Isolation.
>>
File: jthumbs.jpg (7KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
jthumbs.jpg
7KB, 183x275px
>>68574455
You guys bit the bait hard. Props OP
>>
>>68574671
I don't know if I'd go that far. Most Memphis rappers have more conviction in their voice because the area is so rough. LUM is great but he could never have done Memphis like Memphis does because he never really experienced it.
>>
meh, I don't see it as any different than B-Real from Cypress going all nasally, or all of Onyx screaming, or ODB... being ODB.

You don't have to be Guru from Gang Starr when it comes to your rapping. (I love Gang Starr though, don't get upset)
>>
>>68574575
>>68574671
People keep mentioning "Memphis Rap" when talking about Lil Ugly Mane and Mista Thug Isolation especially. I don't know a single record from the Memphis area that sounds close to Serious Shit, Breezem Out, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Throw Dem Gunz etc.
Granted, both lyrics and artworks are influenced, but most of the used samples are way to jazzy to be considered "Memphis Rap".
>>
>>68575184
>le authenticity meme

can't wait til this shit dies. if some guy from the memphis projects made mista thug isolation everybody would absolutely shit themselves over the exact same work

i hope death of the author gets more popular in the future
>>
>>68574455
she was smart enough to know that hip hop sucks with any accent that isn't normal in the united states
>>
>>68575443
Nah there's plenty of heavy jazz-influenced tracks out of Memphis and Ugly definitely emulated that. Throw Dem Gunz isn't very Memphis-sounding though, I'll give you that
>>
>>68575273
Yeah but I there's a difference between mimicking an entire region and culture's accent and just making up your own crazy voice.
>>
Concerning the pitch shifted voice - the guy has a deep voice, listen to this live acappella:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr6eqgrmhMU
Compare that to the tracks on Mista Thug Isolation:
Serious Shit, Maniac Drug Dealer, Slick Rick, Cup Fulla Beetlejuice, Breezem Out, Twistin, No Slack In My Mack and Throw Dem Gunz all have the exact same pitch. That means out of 15 tracks (not counting the instrumentals and the remix), more than half of them have his unadulterated voice. With references to lean usage (see Lean Got Me Fucked Up), his pitch shifting is obviously a nod to chopped and screwed culture. Or are we going to pretend DJ Screw slowed down his records to make the voices sound "more black"?

>>68575614
Can you link me to some? Honestly, I want to know. As far as I know, DJ Paul has used either samples from cheap horror movie soundtracks or soul tracks. I don't know a single Memphis track with a production like Serious Shit.
>>
cos LUM is *actually* talented and interesting
>>
>>68574542
He's from fucking Richmond dude.
>>
>>68574671
LUM is one of my fav artists but this is a dumbshit comment.
Mista Thug is great but comparing it to actual 90s memphis stuff is pointless.
It's kind of that "loving homage" type deal that a lot of people are gonna misinterpret, it was never meant to be "better" and I would think Ugly Mane would be embarrassed for and by you if he saw that comment.
Most of Ugly Mane's other stuff is better than MTI anyway after you've listened to him a shitload.
>>
>>68576044

> literally the capital of the confederacy
>>
>>68576044
Yeah but he doesn't talk with a southern accent. That's not how he speaks
>>
>>68576329
Cool, when did you talk to him last?
>>
>>68574688
Not the guy you replied to but shit dude that was fucking great. Thanks!
>>
>>68575728
I'm not concerned with the pitch shifting, its the drawl he puts on that is a little off-putting.
>>
>>68574688
You got a download for that album?
>>
>>68575728
You might not find anything quite like Serious Shit's saxophone goin on but there's plenty of jazz samples in Memphis hip-hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7tenj5V-aE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM_CMp5QPpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOljZHvqBmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLXXt5wUg0

Definitely more jazz-funk, but jazz nonetheless. It's mostly used as a juxtaposition to all the grittiness going on in the track.
>>
>>68576398
No but I know a guy who sells like $1 bootleg tapes of it lol
>>
>>68576555
That Lil Gin track \m/
>>
>>68574671

fuck no

100 percent guarantee you are white
>>
>>68574455
From my understanding Shawn Kemp doesn't actually have an accent, but he's from the south so... like a half-pass? lmao
>>
>>68575455
I don't care if they're actually authentic, I care if they SOUND authentic, you have to have that conviction in your voice. Mista Thug Isolatoin never sounded like it was from Memphis because it never sounded hungry, except for maybe Throw Dem Gunz, but the production on that track isn't very Memphis-sounding.
>>
>>68576555
Lil Yo is actually a young Yo Gotti, a lot of people don't know that.
>>
>>68576913
>because it never sounded hungry
lol. please leave this thread
>>
>>68576986
Do you have any actual rebuttal to present? I'm not hating on LUM, I'm a fan, but he didn't sound like Memphis rappers because, well, he wasn't from Memphis. Is that so hard to process?
>>
Y'all are fucking hilarious. Love y'all.
>>
>>68577038
>because, well, he wasn't from Memphis

dude do you honestly think in a blind test of random rappers you'd be able to hear the ones from Memphis just from the sound of their voice? that's ridiculous

if you don't think he sounds authentic that's one thing, but a ton of people think he sounds black and "legitimate" (whatever the fuck that word means) until they find out he's white.

i don't think it should affect your listening whatsoever. it's the same exact music

i mean sure, it's more fun to listen to someone who actual has done the shit he talks about in the songs, but the music doesn't change at all, and the rapping is still as good. it's like having a story told by someone who was actually there vs someone who wasn't
>>
>>68576359
Skip to 9:42. Dude does not have a drawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBKClzbG_U0
>>
>>68577121
Being from an Arkansas town right outside of Memphis, yeah I can tell who is from Memphis by their voice. Memphis rap is struggle music, it is one of the roughest towns in the nation, and you hear/see that struggle in the music and arts. You don't hear that in Ugly's music nor his voice. Again, it doesn't diminish his music for me in anyway. He's just not Memphis, that's all.
>>
>>68577190
Damn this show is fuckin bumpin tho
>>
>>68577281
LUM never even claimed to be "Memphis rap". he's from Richmond and just takes heavy influence from memphis hip hop. i don't even get your objection
>>
>>68577381
I know that, this argument started with someone saying LUM did Memphis better than Memphis did, my answer was that LUM didn't portray any sort of hunger, conviction, or struggle like Memphis did. That's how this arose.
>>
>>68577190
ur cute
>>
>>68577435
i guess
>>
>>68577450
nice comeback ;* sit your ass down
>>
>>68577467
Had to say the same thing 4 times for you to say "i guess" lmao
>>
File: timthumb.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
timthumb.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
ÓP here

Y'all chewed on bait for this long?
>>
File: 1373516850246.png (416KB, 623x527px) Image search: [Google]
1373516850246.png
416KB, 623x527px
>>68574455
>>
>>68577499
haha lmao no, you said different versions of a fundamentally stupid point because i couldn't understand why someone would take the time to actually make such a pointless argument
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.