[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do shitty, chart-chasing female "musicians" like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

File: holly.jpg (106KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
holly.jpg
106KB, 460x460px
Why do shitty, chart-chasing female "musicians" like Grimes, Carly Jepsen, Lauren Mayberry, and Marina have generals with frequent discussion while females with interesting compositions that actually contribute something to music get ignored?

Pic related. She's barely discussed.
>>
(You) are fucking retarded for thinking pic related is better than Carly or Grimes
>>
>>68572392
because this board is composed primarily of young white men and the culture is biased as a result

i like laurel halo and holly herndon a lot
>>
to old, not qt enough.
>>
>>68572392
I've been meaning to listen to her stuff.
What should I expect? Any insight?
>>
>>68572392
Holly Herndon is one of the most criminally underrated artists of the decade OP, just give up hope.
>>
Never listened to her. Isn't she the musician who incorporates ASMR into her work? I want to smell her feet and or armpits.
>>
File: Folder.jpg (220KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
220KB, 1000x1000px
>>68572462
weird frontier music but not too pretentious.
>>
File: 1369843075991.png (391KB, 514x542px) Image search: [Google]
1369843075991.png
391KB, 514x542px
was a big fan of her music until she stated spouting her liberal arts ideology all over the internet and even worse couldn't handle criticism from a fucking fantano review because he had different perspectives on the songs

i mean come on
>>
>>68572431
Her being "better" than either of them can be left to subjective opinion. I don't give a shit about that. However, we can objectively observe that Holly's composition's present a novelty not found in Grimes or Carly, both of whom have resigned themselves to petty chart-chasing fame.

>>68572462
Glitch compositions that lean heavily on manipulated samples of her voice. If you want a strict preview of Platform, listen to Movement.
>>
>>68572511
>spouting her liberal arts ideology

bait
>>
File: Holly-Herndon-Supersonic.jpg (639KB, 1280x920px) Image search: [Google]
Holly-Herndon-Supersonic.jpg
639KB, 1280x920px
mind = blown
>>
Holly herndon isn't good
why should I listen to her when rabit,opn,arca,ryoji ikeda
if you wanna make this female only
Laurel halo,inga copeland and grimes make much better music
>>
>>68572512
>Muh subjectivity
Shiv yourself in the neck fucktard
>>
>>68572563
>Rabit, Arca, Ryoji
Not comparable.
>OPN
Only marginally comparable, but his output has never been as focused as Holly's.

>Laurel Halo
Can't comment. Still haven't listened to her.
>Inga
Her best output was with Dean and Because I'm Worth It is inconsistent.
>Grimes
Her best release is over half a decade old.

>>68572602
Nice argument.

You're dismissed from my thread.
>>
Be the first of your friends to like Greek yogurt this summer
>>
OP here.

Be back soon. Going to get pizza.

Don't interpret my absence as a resignation. That is not even remotely the case.
>>
>>68572392
uh do you question why people listen to radio rock when there are interesting rock bands contributing to the music canon? I don't get what's confusing about that
>>
>>68572434
>white men
>a unified cultural entity
??
>>
>>68572392
Because they want to have sex with them. A better question is why did you make this thread with such an obvious answer if not a poor attempt to be pretentious?
>>
>>68573094
>why did you make this thread
Because I was curious. Maybe it's obvious to you, but I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>68573094
>>68573157
Additionally, there are several musicians I'd like to have sex with, but I don't spam the board with bullshit threads that contribute to nothing but an already excessive whitenoise.
>>
Holly herndon has an ugly boyfriend
why should I care about her?
>>
>>68572392
Yet another b8 thread. You just don't stop, isn't it?

>Pic related. She's barely discussed.
Because she's incompetent at making good music. Say what you will about Grimes, Carly Jepsen, Lauren Mayberry, and Marina, but they know to write fucking good songs. And they also have plenty of charisma.

That's the difference between them and the mediocre artists such as Jessy Lanza, Holly Herndon, etc.
>>
>>68572651
>Her best release is over half a decade old.
Visions was released in 2012. Barely 4 years ago. And Art Angels is very close in terms of quality.
>>
>>68572691
What pizza did you get? Anyway, don't worry. I'll be waiting for you.
>>
Lmao holly herndon sucks.... baka op
>>
>>68573342
>Grimes, Carly, Lavren, and Marina
>good songs
>plenty of charisma
wew
>>
>>68573504
>wew
Wew. That's why people like them: good songs, nice personalities and they look sexy. Deal with it.
>>
>>68572434
>i like laurel halo and holly herndon a lot
Me too, also Inga Copeland a.k.a. Lolina, Jenny Hval, Marie Davidson, Katie Gately...
I would really like to discuss these kinds of female artists.

(love Grimes too)
>>
What about Lydia Lunch?
She made a lot of great music in recent years.
>>
>>68573342
>incompetent at making good music
And you're clearly incompetent when it comes to expressing your opinion.

>charisma
Which is unrelated. We're talking about music, not stage performance.

>>68573382
I'm referring to Halfaxa. I consider it to be her best, by far.

>>68573392
I decided to get eggrolls instead.
>>
File: 1476062966879.jpg (8KB, 220x230px) Image search: [Google]
1476062966879.jpg
8KB, 220x230px
>>68572392
>female
>great compositions that actually contribute something to music
>women
>>
Shills.
>>
>>68573706
>meme
>>meme
>>>meme
Shut the fuck up if you've got nothing to fucking say.
>>
>>68573685
>We're talking about music, not stage performance.
those are inseperably tied when we're talking about pop music. or "presentation", more generally. pop music is more than music, it's a multi-media product.
>>
>>68573722
THE GIRL IS MAD HAHAHAHAHA
>>
holly herndon is shit, there are a thousand other good female musicians you could have named

>>68573706
>>68573745
>underage
>great posts that actually contribute something to the thread
>under 18 years old
>>
File: 1475185105743.jpg (154KB, 984x734px) Image search: [Google]
1475185105743.jpg
154KB, 984x734px
>>68573722
calm down, lady, you must be on your period
>>
>>68573736
Music is objectively music.

Prancing around on stage evincing your charisma is not music. Showmanship is not music.

>>68573745
>>68573758
>>68573769
Great posts, each of you.
>>
>>68573706
coming from the same faggot that posts in grime threads
>>
>>68573706
Stop disrespecting women jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>68573758
>>68573790
Ok, with you don't want a meme, lets discuss something, girl.

Why women didn't contributed to music as men did? Don't come with the "minority" bullshit, black men did a lot for music and still being a minority.

What's your opinion, woman?
>>
>>68573823
not a girl my dude should i post my dick for you?
but women don't contribute to music because they are, in general, not good musicians
>>
File: MUUUAAHH THE FRENCH CHAMPAGNE.jpg (7KB, 209x279px) Image search: [Google]
MUUUAAHH THE FRENCH CHAMPAGNE.jpg
7KB, 209x279px
>>68573816
>falling for the bait
>>
File: rtzw.png (24KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
rtzw.png
24KB, 112x112px
>>68573823
>this post
>>
>>68573843
I know, is just fucking annoying
>>
>>68573839
>should i post my dick for you?
Please do
>>
thanks for reminding me i haven't listened to emotion side b yet

>tfw i get new carly tonight and no one else does
>>
>>68573788
but it is relevant to the music being performed, the impression given. there's no point to tearing the performance up in its parts. also applies to its surrounding culture, or album covers, or whatever

"popgarde" like holly herndon or daniel lopatin is no different in essence.

you can't "contribute something to" popular music without getting yourself noticed first, and pandering to "underground" sensibilities or whatever scenes, or what paid critics tend to value, is no different than pandering to the mainstream
>>
>>68573953
nice dick
you're fat
>>
>>68574045
>nice dick
come on, get some standards fagot
>>
>>68573685
>I'm referring to Halfaxa. I consider it to be her best, by far.
(You). Visions is like an improved Halfaxa.
>>
>>68573903
But we're not talking about music that's being performed. I never once mentioned performance in this thread before you brought it up because it's not relevant. You introduced performance because in that singular aspect charisma is important to music, but you can appreciate music without watching a performance, otherwise no one would listen to old music.

Also you're referring to two different interpretations of "pop" music interchangeably. Herndon and Lopatin are only "pop" in regards to their song structure, not "pop" in the same sense that Carly, Grimes, etc. are "pop."

Much of what you're saying is in no way relevant to what I've said and/or misinformed.
>>
>>68574122
>(You)
Why did you post this?

Are you such a fucking child you can't accept that I might have a different opinion and have to regard it as basic fucking bait?

Jesus fucking Christ you people are insufferable. You are your fucking infant memes. Holy shit.
>>
>>68574150
>Why did you post this?
Because I wanted that. Stop being a whiny idiot and accept the fact that your opinion [Halfaxa is her best album] is unpopular.

>Jesus fucking Christ you people are insufferable. You are your fucking infant memes. Holy shit.
As I said, don't be a whiny idiot. You're embarrassing.
>>
>>68574131
>You introduced performance because in that singular aspect charisma is important to music
it's the vocal performance you're hearing too. it's not just performance i'm talking about, i introduced it because you tried to seperate anything not sound from pop music which i think is dumb especially when you're asking "well, what do people like about it?".
if we're talking about the songs alone though, the answer is also quite simple: people like music that has a tune they can remember, crystalize the song down to, hum or sing along to. it stays on your mind longer, so there's gonna be more talk about them. most people aren't hellbent on novelty like self-proclaimed critics, it's not necessarily a worthwhile quality. i don't think hernon has a pop sensibility to speak of, so there
>>
>>68572651
Arca is laughably comparable
He literally achieved everything Holly did before she did it
>>
>>68574411
I have accepted that fact. I never said otherwise. Appending some bullshit (You) onto your post and implying that unpopular opinions can't be anything but bait is fucking childish though.
>>
>>68572541
how is that not just common sense
>>
>>68574420
>vocal performance
And vocals can be good without being charismatic. Not sure if you've noticed, but apathetic, tired vocals have become quite common in pop music.

And vocals are part of the sound, so I still don't see your point.

>people like music that has a tune they can remember, crystalize the song down to, hum or sing along to. it stays on your mind longer, so there's gonna be more talk about them
I agree but I again don't see how that's relevant. I'm not talking about normal people. I'm talking about people on this board from which I'd expect a greater depth of appreciation.

>>68574439
I disagree but maybe I've just listened to the wrong releases. Specifically what from his discography is a direct precursor to Holly?
>>
OP here to announce another intermission.

I'm getting in the shower so don't expect a reply for another 20-25 minutes.
>>
>>68574444
Why you're so triggered if you think it's bait? Just chill. They're just words.
>>
>>68572392
Like AJJ you can't seriously tell the world what is right and wrong when you're that young and stupid.

I like Grimes because her music while simplistic doesn't make me cringe like this bitch.
>>
File: 1469235189901.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1469235189901.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>this thread
>>
>>68574571
>people on this board from which I'd expect a greater depth of appreciation.
ah see this is where you're wrong.
>>
>>68574571
Stretch 1 Stretch 2
>>
>>68574666
I'm "triggered" because you seriously regard all minority opinions as bait.

>>68574723
I see. I wish I had somewhere else to go.

>>68574774
Thanks. I'll listen to those, either tonight or tomorrow night.
>>
>>68574704
Great post. You really managed to say a lot with a little.
>>
>>68574675
Holly's in her mid 30's. She's not young. Otherwise, she'd have more fans on this board.
>>
>>68572392
GO BACK TO YOUR KITCHEN XD
>>
>>68574475
lol i love how self-important it is. a complete non-answer to an idiotic prompt
>>
>>68575121
It doesn't matter. If her music would be great she would have lots of fans just like Grimes. People just can't connect with her dull/cold/abstract music.
>>
>>68575415
Not even going to respond to this argument.

My god this board has gone to complete shit.
>>
can't believe some autist is shilling shitty ass holly herndon
>>
>>68575552
>whining instead writing a decent argument

>this board has gone to complete shit.
You're part of the problem. Do something about it.
>>
>>68575644
The problem is beyond my control. I'm not going to spend time expressing why popular =/= good.
>>
>>68572392
Because (at least some) of the former understand that substance without style is meaningless.

You can have the greatest, most transcendent musical ideas in the history of the world and it won't count for jack-shit unless you can find some way to make it digestible to a significant number of other people.
>>
>>68572651
>Her best release is over half a decade old.
Best in terms of what, exactly?
>>
>>68576315
well, music is a business, but artistic merit should be what counts most when discussing musicians, not their ability to create an image and market themselves
>>
>>68577725
Style (image branding and marketing) are just as much art forms as music. And in the context of making music as a business, they are essential to the process of successfully communicating the artistic merit of the music.

Style is the medium of communication. Music is the message. No style, no message = no career
Yes style, no message = fleeting success (Jepsen, Mayberry, Marina)
No style, yes message = limited success (Lanza, Herndon)
Yes style, yes message = success (Grimes)

Good artists have great ideas. Great artists have great ideas about how to communicate great ideas - it's all about taking artistry to the next level.
>>
I like Holly but I think Grimes is better and more talented.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.