[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck don't you know how to read music? What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: Chopin_nocturne_op9_2a.png (67KB, 878x493px) Image search: [Google]
Chopin_nocturne_op9_2a.png
67KB, 878x493px
Why the fuck don't you know how to read music?

What's wrong with you? Let me guess "I don't need to be able to read music to express myself" or "Being able to read music doesn't mean I'll write better music"

I think you're just lazy.

In other words, why do most musicians not take their craft seriously but instead are more focused on sampling and finding virtue is being as esoteric and possible? Fucking hippies. You all make me sick.
>>
I learned how to read it in first year tho
>>
File: 78.png (5KB, 60x44px) Image search: [Google]
78.png
5KB, 60x44px
>>
but I do?
>>
Took a few courses in music theory, played multiple instruments for half of my life, and I end listen to mostly electronic shit
>>
>>68569072
*end up listening to
>>
cause i'm just a drummer
>>
File: 1474685169063.jpg (25KB, 524x399px) Image search: [Google]
1474685169063.jpg
25KB, 524x399px
>tfw two lntellulcal for theory

it limits creativity anyway
>>
I used to be able to
>>
I've known how to read since I was 6 and I regularly use it for performing/practicing and reading scores.

Reading is great, but I also know it's not the most important skill for a musician. I've met top-notch classically trained sight readers who get completely lost and flustered the minute something strays from the page or they need to adjust on the spot, along with excellent intuitive musicians who can't read but have fantastic ears and musical sensibilities.
>>
File: 1476876109481.jpg (94KB, 960x439px) Image search: [Google]
1476876109481.jpg
94KB, 960x439px
>>68569100
>it limits creativity

this guy knows how to party
>>
>>68569100

No it doesn't. Lemme guess you need to smoke weed to write and THE CHROMATIC SCALE IS LIMITING MAN.

No. Music is an art, but it's also a craft. Make your tool belt as big as possible. Don't limit your resources. If you thinking learning theory will stunt your creativity, you're not a creative person.

Fucking lazy hippies.
>>
>>68569223
For a lot of people theory only ends up giving them an answer when they are stuck. If you can't naturally create music without theory, I don't think it'll do much for you anyways.
>>
File: your gay.jpg (27KB, 489x499px) Image search: [Google]
your gay.jpg
27KB, 489x499px
>>68569223
>tfw i'm laughing at this post as my shitty "chill" hip hop beat gets thousands of listens and likes on my soundcloud

theory what?
>>
>>68569254

Learning theory will give you insight into possibilities when writing melodies and forming chords. It makes the process quicker and more seamless. There's nothing worse than working with a musician who takes forever to write or learn something. It's frustrating. Sure, intuition is an artists's best tool, but having a working knowledge of how it can all come together coupled with the right ear will make you musical Superman.
>>
File: 1444258454694.jpg (25KB, 500x711px) Image search: [Google]
1444258454694.jpg
25KB, 500x711px
>>68569005

You are right. But beeing butthurt because a lot of artists dont put much work in theoretical skills but still are more sucessful than you is not necessary. It's good to let go sometimes.
>>
>>68569379

Why would you assume I'm butthurt? I lie pretty comfortably and I'm able to make SOME money from music, and that's good enough for me. What concerns me is that this generation of musicians is lazy, and even worse because of post-modernism, they find some sort of merit in not putting in effort.
>>
theory and reading music aren't interchangeable, you can learn either one without the other
>>
>>68569585

You really should learn both if you care about your craft.
>>
>>68569005
Reading music isn't hard at all, but fucking sight singing, man. Playing on the keyboard is simple because I know which keys correspond to the note positions on the staff but I wouldn't be able to hear the song in my head before playing. If I'm singing I have to slowly work out every note by singing the scale like I'm going through the fucking alphabet to remember where Q is. God forbid I forget what Middle C sounds like again or I'm completely fucked. Just gotta practice practice practice I guess.
>>
>>68569100
>it limits creativity
This guy lol
>>
>>68569645
depends on how much time you want to spend on what. Writing music perfectly (that is, following every rule and notation with no mistakes) can take a lot of learning but won't necessarily get you much further from someone who has a functional understanding of it. Whereas for actual theory, I don't think you can ever really learn everything there is to possibly know, so in my opinion if you can function without being able to read music well I would just spend more time on chord/note/scale relationships and the different ways to use them.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.