[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd love to write my own music, but everytime I do so I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: 1469779531330-r9k.png (39KB, 159x163px) Image search: [Google]
1469779531330-r9k.png
39KB, 159x163px
I'd love to write my own music, but everytime I do so I end up looking at my favourite albums and realize that I have little chance at even coming close to how good they are.

Doesn't help that my voice is shit, and I wasted my early teenage years dicking around instead of practicing guitar. I've turned 19, and I look back at 6 years wasted not practicing the guitar
>>
Do you want music for this feel or...?
>>
>>68566299
Just make anything. Show up. Half of getting good is just showing up and doing something. There's a chance inspiration will line the cracks of your failed attempts.
>>
>>68566299
“Start copying what you love. Copy copy copy copy. At the end of the copy you will find yourself.” :^)
>>
>>68566314
Music for this feel

And maybe words of encouragement/discouragement, idk. This is a shit birthday
>>
>>68566331
we memeing yohji now?
>>
The value of art depends on the values of the art critic. Most art is born as imitation, not innovation. The critic, not the artist, is the one who defines innovation, and rates it. The artist is merely a vehicle for the aesthetic/ideology of the critic. The critic is the real artist.
>>
>>68566299
Why can't I stop laughing.
>This thread
>That pic
>Your feels
Can't stop.

Something might be legitimately wrong with me. Typing this sentence even made me burst out laughing.
>>
>>68566299
lol what a faggot, you actually think you need talent to amke music? WRONG, you need frucking passion,

case in point, Push th little daisies - Ween

ween is a perfect example of zero talent 100%passion
>>
>>68566349
lol thinking this is true
>>
>>68566366
It's failure + sadness + Bulbusaur. Saved this pic because some dude at /r9k/ was having the same feels with this pic

Never thought I'd have it myself
>>
>>68566299
try looking back 10 years from now and how much regret youll have then. 19 aint bad
>>
Comparing your art to others is never good. Protip: you're doing well. Keep grinding.
>>
>>68566386
>It's failure + sadness + Bulbusaur.
Lol. I can't breathe. Your entire post.

Oh man. I think it's perhaps because it's vaguely relateable, though I'm 23. Anyway, it's binary. Either you start now, or you never start and go on living that way. Those are your options. There is nothing else.

Also, look back and rethink, your time likely wasn't as wasted as you think. Value is had, even in misery. Unless that misery involves severe brain damage. That's an edge case. That makes it pretty much useless.
>>
>>68566341
Happy birthday man!
>>
>>68566344
Fuck off with your anime characters faggot.
>>
>>68566403
I just can't see myself with the confidence to make great music. I can't connect emotions/passion with my instrument.

And where I'm at right now, 19 feels pretty fucking old. I can't eat my cake
>>
>>68566458
Thats funny man.
>>
>>68566341
pretty much everyone who makes music started out copying the shit out of their favorite artists. Just try to come up with your own ideas before putting pen to paper, or going near your instrument of choice. Also, when it comes to making music, it's important to remember that a song rarely sounds good until it all comes together in the final stages. It can be pretty discouraging when you've spend hours on something, but it still sounds unfinished. You've just got to put any pretense aside and get on with it.
>>
>>68566469
imagine being 50 and thinking, damn, if I started at 19 i'd be amazing by now. you're nowhere in life yet.
>>
I've noticed that people that get good at something don't really get discouraged by comparing themselves to their idols. They also tend to enjoy what they do for its own sake, instead of for the sake of reaching some goal.

A basic analogy would be learning an instrument. Nearly everyone sucks at first. But if somebody enjoys playing right away regardless of how much they suck, they're going to continue playing and naturally improve over time. On the other hand, someone who gets easily frustrated with their limitations and bogged down with comparing themselves to others will struggle (and usually just give up).

Instead of dwelling on past mistakes, start developing your skills now and learn to appreciate the process more than the result. Regularly work on your singing and playing, but don't be excessively critical. Try writing one song a week. If you do this with dedication, even after a couple months you'll notice a big improvement.
>>
>>68566469
You JUST turned 19 bro. You just got out of high school, I don't think you realize how young you are. Don't get discouraged by all the young musicians you see nowadays, there's plenty of older ones too. If it helps, Grimes said in an interview that she didn't really start making music until she was 22-23. It's never too late to start.
>>
>>68567495
>you just got out of high school

In 2 years I'm graduatung college. I'm fucked if I do start working in media soon after, no stress and no time
>>
>>68567586
Start now then, 2 years is plenty of time if you practice frequently.
>>
>>68567678
Following the song a week advice itt. I might just end up sounding like a Philippine bootleg Ed Sheeran
>>
>>68567746
>implying a Philippine bootleg Ed Sheeran is a bad thing

Why so pessimistic? I'm almost 2 years older than you and I'm just now starting to seriously work on music.
>>
>>68566341
My boy, things will get better. Take comfort in the fact that most people your age make terrible music and you're not adding to that garbage heap. My nigga if I knew you I'd buy a bottle for you, sorry you're having a bad birthday I know this feeling well all of my birthdays since I turned 18 have been garbage
>>
kinda your own fault you know?
>>
>>68567746
Song a week?
If you are starting up do song a day for a month
>>
>>68566383
nah dean and gene are both really talented musicians and songwriters
>>
>>68566299
Don't compare yourself to others. You will never be your favorite artist. If the passion is there, the music will shine
>>
>>68566299
id recomend getting into some bandcamp artists
listening to people that are good but not too good and also in your same situation is very inspiring
the artists in /mu/s bandcamp threads are a good place to start they genuinely inspire me
>>
>>68566299
I started playing guitar at 19. I'm 22 now and getting pretty okay at it.

Stop being a fag
>>
>>68566349
>scaruffi unironically believes this
>>
>>68566299
Quite being a whiny asshat and make some fucking music bitch. No cares that you're terrible because everyone else is just as bad. If you didn't practice when you were younger quite feeling sorry for yourself and start practicing now. Even if you don't have an instrument and no free time just do your do-re-mi's in the shower. Just fucking do it because no one's going to come along and do it for you out of sheer sympathy.
>>
>>68568885
Quit, not quite
>>
File: image.jpg (116KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 640x1136px
I think what Elephant 6 meant for us is very simple: there’s something pure and infinite in you, that wants to come out of you, and can come out of no other person on the planet. That’s what you’ve got to share, and that’s as real and important as the fact that you’re alive. We were able, at a really young age, to somehow protect each other so we could feel that. The world at large, careerism, money, magazines, your parents, the people at the rock club in your town, other kids, nothing is going to give you that message, necessarily. In fact, most things are going to lead you away from it, sadly, because humanity is really confused at the moment. But you wouldn’t exist if the universe didn’t need you. And any time I encounter something beautiful that came out of a human somewhere, that’s them, that’s their own soul. That’s just pure, whatever its physicality is, if the person can play piano, if they can’t play piano, if they’re tone deaf, whatever it is, if it’s pure, it hits you like a sledgehammer. It fills your own soul, it makes you want to cry, it makes you glad you’re alive, it lets you come out of you. And that’s what we need: we desperately need you.

Julian Koster of Neutral Milk Hotel/Elephant 6
>>
>>68566299
Homie, talk to me when you're 26 and still trying to make it
>>
>>68569554
>>68566299
I wish I was still 19
>>
>>68569578
Me too :(
Obv. knowing what I know now of course
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.