[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has /mu/ actually successfully introduced anybody to their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (314KB, 1152x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
314KB, 1152x1536px
Has /mu/ actually successfully introduced anybody to their favorite artist/band?
>>
not really, I heard Rave Death. bloody overrated experience that was
>>
>>68564068
Yes, I've showed my parents music I enjoy before & they either hate it or think it's satanic.
>>
>>68564077
Shut
>>
>>68564068
Yes. My little brother. I think that doesn't count.
>>
File: ok.jpg (72KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
72KB, 600x338px
Of course. I am not american, nor a science major. People I know have taste and wit. They don't always like what I listen to but are curious.
>>
I got into my favorite band because I saw them on a Patrician Pop chart.
I got into my second favorite because of some anon that used to post on here.
Most of the time I get my music from RYM though, because /mu/ is always talking about the same artists every day. /mu/core needs to die.
>>
my brother is a huge hip-hop head but absolutely loves rossz csillag
>>
No, my parents already knew Swans. My brother thinks it's weird. I don't know other people.
>>
>>68564068
Yeah, my favorite bands are Sonic Youth, Animal Collective, and Unwound. I found all of them on /mu/
>>
my mom loves massive attack bc I bought her Mezzanine for 2 dollars to be one of the car CDs but they're not my favorite.
>>
Introduced a girl I fucked twice to Them Crooked Vultures

She was only singe for a week, she went back to her ex. Dunno if she still listens to the band lol
>>
>>68564546
How do you find new music on RYM? Just made an acc 3 days ago, dunno how to use it
>>
>>68564832
drone antiwarhol
>>
>>68564832
drone herkyjerky

No, but seriously, avoid charts for popular genres like rock and electronic.
Get more into non /mu/core genres
Drone users with unusual tastes
Use lists
Drone me (noff)
>>
>>68564068
That cake look like that 1 dead grip album cover XD
>>
I've introduced most of my friends to their favorite bands/tv shows/movies but they would never give me credit for it.
>>
>>68564823
fucking normie
>>
I got introduced to Can which is one of my favorites now.
>>
I dunno about favorite artist but I'd probably have never listened to some of my favorite albums if it weren't for seeing them posted on /mu/ or on charts
>>
File: _20161010_132827.jpg (2MB, 3589x3120px) Image search: [Google]
_20161010_132827.jpg
2MB, 3589x3120px
A drawfag friend got into Death Grips because she liked this drawing I made. Seriously.
>>
my mate on PSN likes animal collective
>>
>>68564832
Nigga, use the charts function. Check the side projects of band members. Check the side projects of members of those bands. Read Reviews. Listen to compilations artists you like are on. Not that hard.
>>
>>68565077
Awful advice. Promotes musical stagnation. Avoid at all costs.
>>
>>68565163
>musical stagnation
?

Oh well.
Shoot your shelf.
>>
>>68565184
You are everything that's wrong with /mu/. Please leave.
>>
>>68565216
You are either trolling or didn't understand my post. Not really my problem.
>>
>>68564068
Introduced anyone to my all-time fav band? No, but that's cause my favorite band is Swans.

I have introduced one of my friends to Death Grips and now he really loves them. I introduced another one of my friends to The Avalanches, and I introduced my sister to Animal Collective and MGMT.
>>
Not my favorite band, but i introduced a colleague to Les Rallizes Denudes recently, now he's completely obsessed with them.
Fucking poseur.
>>
>>68565235
No, I did understood your post, and what I was implying is that it's an awful way to use RYM and discover music in general. Not everybody who disagrees with you is trolling.
>>
Got my friend into MF DOOM and Death Grips
>>
>>68565322
Okay, riddle me this: What is awful about it?
>>
>>68565054
What's his psn name?
>>
>>68565340
>Nigga, use the charts function.
Can be good or bad. Depends on a case by case basis.
>Check the side projects of band members. >Check the side projects of members of those bands.
Awful way to discover new music. Promotes conforming with your current taste.
>Read Reviews.
Okay.
>Listen to compilations artists you like are on.
Promotes conformity.

It's simply awful advice to discover new and good music.
>>
I've gotten quite a few friends into Melt-Banana.
>>
Introduced a friend to Thousand Foot Krutch and Sabaton and another to Aesop Rock.
>>
>>68565350
TheCaravaneer
>>
>>68564546

>/mu/core needs to die

tripfaggots (like you) and anons alike have been saying this for years.
>>
File: Kyuss Wallpaper 2.jpg (368KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kyuss Wallpaper 2.jpg
368KB, 1280x720px
>>68564068
Yeah man. I introduced my best friend to my fav band, Kyuss. It's now his favourite band too.
>>
>>68565392

Doesn't have to be you pretentious fuck..
>>
>>68565392
>Promotes conforming with your current taste
>Promotes conformity
Yeah, I can totally see how digging into a certain type of music that interests you is a bad thing. I guess it is awful advice if you prefer to have only surface-level knowledge of the types of music you like. The best thing really does seem to be to choose the next album to listen to via randomization. Hell, why even listen to whole albums? That's just your inner conformist talking, who wants your musical "taste" to stagnate. And god forbid listening to a song you like twice. It shouldn't even come that far, why "like" a song? That's really just the first sign of your mind stagnating. Alzheimer basically.
>>
>>68565392
If you keep expolring similar artists your gonna slowly spill over into other genres/styles you moron.
>>
>>68565471
Yeah. What about it?

>>68565491
That's the way it is unless you mean very specific artists like Jim O Rourke, Frank Zappa, or Otomo Yoshide. But those are the exception to the rule.
>>
>>68565392
>>68565505
Also, please enlighten us on how to better explore new music and keep your musical tastes from stagnating.
>>
>>68565513
Not really. There thousands of users on RYM in their 40s or more who have followed that advice and are still stuck into basic stuff, barely listening to something other than rock.

>>68565505
Yes, conformity is a bad thing. You are here to discover new music, not to reassure yourself you have good taste (see: Reddit).
And no, randomization is not ideal.
Anyways, the rest of your post is basically making a strawman of what I said.

>>68565528
See >>68564887
>>
>>68565549
How the hell else would you discover new music if not by searching for it based on what interests you, you fucking faggot? What you describe as conformity is what other people call having musical taste, and you are not exempt from it unless all music is literally equal to you and you listen to randomly generated songs that you never heard before every time you choose to listen to music.
Now give us a better damn way to explore new music or shut the hell up.
>>
>>68565549
Even though I think tripfags are at least 9 times out of 10, fucking retarded. I have to agree with you. It's disconcerting seeing charts with /mu/core plastered all over.
>>
>>68565594
Because sometimes you don't know what interests you until you try!? Let's suppose you like Loveless and used to be a metal fan. How the hell would you know you would have liked it if you never heard anything similar to it? Those cases are pretty common.
Your conclusion doesn't follow from what you said.
Also, you can't read, for I have already proposed various ways of discovering new songs.

>>68565605
Thank you.
Don't dismiss tripfags though, they have good taste most of the time save a few exceptions (like Montie).
>>
I introduced Death Grips to this ROTB chinese girl at my University, she has trouble speaking english but she says No Love is good
>>
Nah they thought it was all boring and shitty.
>>
>>68565653
Yes, but where do you go after listening to Loveless? According to your logic you'd just listen to whatever your favourite rym user posts next on his timeline. According to my logic you'd explore shoegaze as a genre, check out sideprojects of band members, influences, regional scenes around the world etc until it doesn't interest you anymore and you found something else that has grabbed your attention. You are literally the same as all the Fantano-fags on this board, your best advice for exploring new music is literally "just listen to what other people listen to". You are lazy and have no real interest in music, at least if what you say is your honest opinion, which I doubt because no one can literally be the strawman I made of you.

Oh, and I just noticed your trip, so you're filtered now.
>>
>>68565792
Wrong question. How would you be able to listen to Loveless on the first place? That's why I'm saying the best way to listen to music you like is to NOT listen to music you already like to when trying to find new music. Basically, to avoid this advice >>68565077
My advice is not to listen to what other people listen to, that's just one of the methods I proposed.
Yeah, no surprise you can't see what I mean when you admitted arguing with a strawman of what I have just said.
You clearly misunderstood my whole post.

Filtering is for people who fear dissenting opinions. You might be better off by stop using 4chan on the first place.
>>
Yes. Einstürzende Neubauten and Murmuüre
>>
I got my emo friend into Death Grips.
>>
i got my friend into death grips
>>
no but I've been introduced to Silversun Pickups, and I love them now.
>>
>>68565392
This is legitimately one of the most retarded posts I've ever read. I am in literal awe at how much of a fucking faggot you are.
>>
>>68566579
You sure convinced me with that post, great job, totally constructive comment!
>>
Introduced some qt to Violent Femmes, AnCo, Joanna Newsom, Television, American Football and Fishmans.

not bad
>>
>>68566648
Why don't you just listen to music for the enjoyment of soundwaves banging tour eardrums?
You have to realize that no one cares how diverse and "non-rock" your music taste is, and it doesn't mean your taste is more developed than people who always listen to the same genres
>>
My favorite band is Bomb the Music Industry! When tickets for their absolute final show went on sale the max per person was 8 tickets, so I just bought the fucking 8 and scrambled up until the day of the show to have people I knew come with me. A couple friends of mine already kinda liked them, and someone brought their little bro, who brought some girl from school, and the boyfriend of a friend of a friend who I met at a party once took a bus 10 hours to come see it with us.

The Front Bottoms are one of my other favorites and literally everyone I know likes them because of me
>>
>>68566792
When did I say I didn't? I love music and listening to it.
I'm arguing that trying to listen to more diverse kinds of music improves your musical experience, especially when compare to the other method proposed above that was basically "listen to the music you already like", which is stagnating.
Also, strictly speaking, it does indeed mean your taste is more developed.
>>
>>68564068
I turned a matalfag and a hip-hopfag onto Death Grips

Also turned my dad onto swans.
>>
>>68566904
>listen to the music you already like
That's not the method proposed above, learn to fucking read. You literally just listen to whatever people you subscribe to listen to. You are the embodiment of the circlejerk cancer that's keeping this board as shitty as it is. Who do you think stands on the other end of that chain of information? Someone with musical interests, someone who digs deep into certain kinds of music and finds gems no one has ever heard of. Then maybe he talks about those online, recommends them to other people, makes charts and lists out of them, writes reviews and such and you're left picking up the pieces of another man's musical journey from these artifacts. You talk about musical tastes stagnating but you don't even have a musical taste of your own, you're the musical equivalent of a spoonfed overweight manbaby.
>>
>>68564068
I got my dad to like later earth, darkside, and a whole bunch of stoner rock.
>>
Turned my best friend into a kendrick stan. We ended up having a pretty dumb row about it all
>>
yes

i showed a fwb sonic youth and she still listens to them on spotify all the time
>>
Yeah comus
>>
Yeah Illoyal & Bassdeaph, Audio88, Hiob & Morlockk Dilemma
>>
Got my girl into shoegaze
>>
Only my brother, and I don't think that really counts.

I wish I had a friend IRL to talk about music with.

I once met a girl who liked The Mars Volta when I showed them to her, but of course she only liked Deloused.
>>
I used to sing Neutral Milk Hotel songs in my gf's house, now she likes NHM.

Got one of my friends into John Frusciante.

I think that's it.
>>
>>68564068
I got my gf into Radiohead. Though she mainly listens to the bends, ok comp, and in rainbows. Her favorite band is imagine dragons.
>>
>>68564068
Showed one of my "All rap is garbage" friends some good rap and changed his mind.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.