[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What separates good jazz from bad jazz? Like, what makes a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: John-Coltrane.jpg (18KB, 374x453px) Image search: [Google]
John-Coltrane.jpg
18KB, 374x453px
What separates good jazz from bad jazz?

Like, what makes a good jazz album a good jazz album, as opposed to a shitty one?
>>
Synthesisers
>>
>>68549876
Good jazz is creative and emotional

Bad jazz sounds bland and uninspired
>>
Was it produced between 87 and 97?
It's bad.
>>
>>68550067
John Zorn isn't bad
>>
>>68550081
Exception to the rule, everything else
>>
>>68550067
Guitar came out in 1986 and Seize the Rainbow came out in 1987
>>
>>68549876
compositional creativity and effectiveness (if applicable)

group interaction

thematic development and shape of the improvisation

approach to structure and form and whether it is effective in the context

overall sense of expression of some kind or another, but I find pure expressionism with no nuance or structure to be uninteresting
>>
>>68549876
Most jazz albums are made up of live takes (as opposed to overdubbing), and the best takes have a strong group dynamic, inspired playing, well-executed solos and creative arranging/composing. Good engineering and production are also important, but to a lesser extent.

"Bad" jazz albums usually lack at least one of those first four qualities. A lot of mediocre albums suffer from dull arrangements or compositions, and everything else suffers as a result. And many people get hung up on bad/cheesy production, especially with mainstream jazz.
>>
>>68550114
Never mentioned 86 did I? Twat
>>
No junk no soul
>>
when the tastes of the masses coagulated, the lumps in their mouth were called good as matter of course
if they deigned to spit a morsel at you, you might conjoin therein
>>
>>68550474
come again
>>
>>68549980

How do you measure creativity and emotion?

>>68550067

Why?
>>
>>68550526
>How do you measure creativity and emotion?
You don't
>>
Jazz production can be a problem. It's often so bright and clean it's like brand new work shoes. Bad recordings make a record I think. They transfer the spirit world while they are made.
>>
>>68550119
pretty much this. but also could you explain what do you mean by
>thematic development
>>
>>68550067
Lee Ritenour -Festival, and alot of roy hargrove
>>
>>68550550

Then why use it as criteria for quality??
>>
>>68550620
This is the most cringe-worthy opinion. Over-production can ruin jazz, but so can shoddy recordings.
>>
>>68550680
Is the solo just a string of random notes that make up random phrases all joined together?

The ideas should come from somewhere, phrases should usually have some relation to what came before it, either from the melody, or from the solo before it, or from a previous phrase in the solo, or something that the rhythm section played.
>>
File: untitled.png (186KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
186KB, 200x150px
>>68552939
>
>>
>>68552123
because music is suggestive
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.