[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can a musician avoid the trap of sounding too much like their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: franz-ferdinand-4dd465083a9a8.jpg (116KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
franz-ferdinand-4dd465083a9a8.jpg
116KB, 1000x1000px
How can a musician avoid the trap of sounding too much like their influences? Pic related is one that received this complaint a bit from others.

I know this is practically a meme complaint (among some, at least). But I'm curious as to how one can accomplish that.
>>
have obscure influences
>>
add jazz
ex: tortoise, minutemen
>>
File: hiv4o.gif (6KB, 423x289px) Image search: [Google]
hiv4o.gif
6KB, 423x289px
>>68394402
See diagram. Move to the left.
>>
>>68394402
if you are vulnerable into falling into that trap, it means you have already lost purpose.
>>
>>68394622
"you sound too much like captain jazz and algernon"

welp
>>
>>68395983
>>
>>68394622
I had a similar idea, just add "and/or diverse" after "obscure"
>>
Everyone draws a bit of influence from their sources. (not OP) My influences change weekly though

Now tell me. Is it immediately obvious my influence on this track I started working on today
https://soundcloud.com/bishopkidjr/demo-track
>>
>>68396089
why the fuck is that a gif
>>
>>68396497
I don't know sometimes pictures are in that format
>>
I fell out of that a bit ago. People used to say that I sounded like Lame impala, or Jack White, or lou reed,
a bunch of shit that I listened to

but how I ended it was involving different instruments and instrumentation methods
>>
>>68394402
SO IF YOURE LONELY
>>
Get more influences, mimic more imperfectly, construct your own canon of the genre. Write pastiches of artists you admire and ones you hate.
>>
>>68394622
basically what this guys says

There's no such thing as creativity in this day and age, not that there ever was. Everything you hear today is made of something else.
>>
be influenced by more than one genre
>>
take influence from different mediums. Take less from your influences and more from your influences' influences
>>
>>68397473
t. Shit Artist Dissatisfied With His Work
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anxiety_of_Influence
>>
>>68396249
Smashing Pumpkins? Radiohead? Idk, but that is good.
>>
>>68397268
YOU KNOW I'M HERE WAITING FOR YOU
>>
>>68399387
I'M JUST A CROSSHAIR
>>
>>68396766
>instrumentation methods

What the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>68400343
FIND ME AND FOLLOW ME
>>
File: no goofs.jpg (14KB, 469x469px) Image search: [Google]
no goofs.jpg
14KB, 469x469px
>>68394402
>tfw my ex's fav band was FF
>tfw i actually really enjoyed the band after she showed it to me
>but i can't ever go back and listen to it because memories surge
Music fucking sucks bros
>>
Explore your mistakes and turn the interesting ones into style points.
>>
>>68396497
For the smallest file size. Were you watching it for a while to see animation, you plank?
>>
>>68396249
not bad man, reminds me of smashing pumpkins, pavement and bends era radiohead. how do you record the drums?
>>
Actually develop as an artist? Many great players started by working to sound exactly like those they adored, and once they fully realized the sound they were imitating, they could push it forward.
>>
>>68394402
Have diverse influences, combine them smartly and develop it into your own.

By the way discerning the influences of Swans is really interesting.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.