[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get to understand this song? I've been listeni

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 4565746754.png (420KB, 459x435px) Image search: [Google]
4565746754.png
420KB, 459x435px
How do I get to understand this song?
I've been listening to a lot of Genesis these weeks, I love almost all of their crations, this band is supernatural. I can feel and comprehend some parts of it, at some level, but this one always catch me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx6S32thDNw

There's something so mysterious and supradialectical about this song that makes me tremble every time.
>>
>>68369711

stop trying to understand it and just enjoy it
>>
>>68369711
Read the bible.
Specifically Revelations.
As far as the lyrical contexts go.
Except for Willow Farm.
That's some crazy eugenics dystopian shit.
Which is sort of like Revelations.
As far as the music goes.
Realize that Phil Collins was 19 when recording this and
He is a fucking GOD.
Other than that just enjoy it.
>>
>>68369859
I lied.
He was 21.
>>
THEY'RE GOING TO CHANGE YOU INTO A HUMAN BEING!
>>
Just let this song take you to another place
>>
>>68369859
Yeah and also the first part of the song is about a weird experience peter gabriel had where his wife jill went all wrong.
>>
>>68369781
>stop trying to understand it and just enjoy it
>>68369859
>Other than that just enjoy it.
>>68370014
>Just let this song take you to another place

you stupid dickweeds why can't we enjoy a little analysis fuck you
>>
I: "Lover's Leap" (0:00 - 3:47)
"In which two lovers are lost in each other's eyes, and found again transformed in the bodies of another male and female."

II: "The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man" (3:48 - 5:43)
"The lovers come across a town dominated by two characters; one a benevolent farmer and the other the head of a highly disciplined scientific religion. The latter likes to be known as "The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man" and claims to contain a secret new ingredient capable of fighting fire. This is a falsehood, an untruth, a whopper and a taradiddle, or to put it in clearer terms; a lie."

III: "Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men" (5:44 - 9:42)
"Who the lovers see clad in greys and purples, awaiting to be summoned out of the ground. At the G.E.S.M's command they put forth from the bowels of the earth, to attack all those without an up-to-date "Eternal Life Licence", which were obtainable at the head office of the G.E.S.M.'s religion."

IV: "How Dare I Be So Beautiful?" (9:43 - 11:04)
"In which our intrepid heroes investigate the aftermath of the battle and discover a solitary figure, obsessed by his own image. They witness an unusual transmutation, and are pulled into their own reflections in the water."
>>
>>68369711
Love Supper's Ready. In my mind, it seems to be couple's journey, trials and tribulations amidst the backdrop of the Apocalypse. A mystical, out of body experience between the two (Lover's Leap) portends the arrival of the anti-christ (Sanctuary Man). They witness/take part in a great battle, possibly under the influence of the anti-christ (Ikhnaton). In the aftermath of the battle, the laws of reality begin to break down as people and things lose their mutability (Beautiful/Willow Farm), foretelling the imminent arrival of the beasts and monsters of Revelations (Apocalypse in 9/8). Surviving the attack, man and woman embrace each other, having gotten through the end of the earth with each other and entering a period of absolute joy and peace in the New Jerusalem (Aching Man's Feet). Of course, the beauty of the song is due in more part to the emotions and subtext of the song rather than a literal reading, imo.
>>
V: "Willow Farm" (11:05 - 15:37)
"Climbing out of the pool, they are once again in a different existence. They're right in the middle of a myriad of bright colours, filled with all manner of objects, plants, animals and humans. Life flows freely and everything is mindlessly busy. At random, a whistle blows and every single thing is instantly changed into another.

"VI: "Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet)"
"At one whistle the lovers become seeds in the soil, where they recognise other seeds to be people from the world in which they had originated. While they wait for Spring, they are returned to their old world to see Apocalypse of St John in full progress. The seven trumpeteers cause a sensation, the fox keeps throwing sixes, and Pythagoras (a Greek extra) is deliriously happy as he manages to put exactly the right amount of milk and honey on his corn flakes."

VII: "As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)" (20:51 - 22:54)
"Above all else an egg is an egg. 'And did those feet ............' making ends meet. Jerusalem = place of peace."
>>
you're all full of ball
>>
Shit's just like what if Evangelion was made by a crazy depressed brit musician instead of a crazy depressed jap anime director.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.