[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think the hype's gotten to peoples' heads. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

I think the hype's gotten to peoples' heads. I'm probably going to have to treat this album like I treated OK Computer and just say "I don't get it."

I'm clueless as to how this piece of garbage could climb above other artists; artists who spend years putting beautifully thought out poetry on paper and putting music that speaks behind it, and those artists can be overlooked easily. Meanwhile, we got Signor Mangum here, who vomits words on paper about youth and sex and shit, then puts the simplest chords in the world behind them...and all the sudden, it's a masterpiece.

Jeff's voice is cringe-worthy. I'm all for going off-key for soul and everything, but this was too much. I told him to stfu many times during my listens. Also, the lyrics ramble with no real patterns to them. There's no meter in the 'poetry'. It's almost as if he improvised a lot of this, and didn't bother to look it over afterwords.

One of the few good things I can say about this album is that it's not shallow, and it's not lacking atmosphere. Just for that, it doesn't get a 0.5. However, the writing seems like it was edited by twelve-year-old, and the music as a whole reminds me of the funeral music from the Godfather movies (not a good thing in this case).

If this is a masterpiece of Indie music, then any good expectations that I would have had about indie music from this point on are crushed.
>>
>my opinions matters

Only read the first few words, but you're an insufferable attention whoring cunt.
>>
i agree completely so glad someone on this else on this board can think for themselfs, have you ever thought of review music?
>>
>>68357180
This album manages to pull off the pretentiousness of both someone who hates the fact that they were born a decade or so too late to take part in the folk revival of the counterculture, and someone that manages to garner more social hatred than gingers. Aka hipsters. I'd never seen a picture of this band, so no, I didn't judge based on their image. I was told Neutral Milk Hotel was an awesome band, full of great awesomeness, spilling forth from a fountain of awesome. Instead, this is more like the standard hipster anthem. There's a plethora of hipsteringly pretentious bands, but they at least manage to sound good while doing it, so props to them. However, I think that my subconscious made me give this album one star out of pity for Anne Frank, whom this album is about. The same, repetitive chords, the sad tone. What is there that stands out from this album? Not sure. I fail to see how this album gets such a high rating on here. There's some sad singing. Both sad as in "boohoo, slit slit" and sad as in "god, I suck at vocals. Might as well do them ironically." That is really this whole album. A guitar. Vocals. A random instrument here, another there. This is trash.
>>
Why do you think your opinion matters?
This album has caused people to feel many things, and that is beautiful.
It is never praised for its musical complexity.
You will also notice that many people have no idea why they love this album so much, its simply a good album with emotional lyrics and a very emotional voice delivering them.
>>
im convinced this album has magic powers
>>
File: fuck u very much.gif (1MB, 480x270px)
fuck u very much.gif
1MB, 480x270px
nigga fuck u.
this ignorant piece of shit post made me wanna listen to aeroplane over the sea
>>
>>68357180
It's not hype when this thing came out almost 20 years ago. It's a classic. You're allowed to not like it, but the people that do aren't pretending either.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6H8WcTPnWM
>>
>>68357180
You evidently haven't looked into the context whatsoever, you're incapable of empathising with Jeff's emotion or mental state, and you project your frustration at your lack of understanding into "criticism"; please leave it at least a couple years before you attempt to review music.
>>
>>68357180
>piece of garbage
You're a fucking idiot if you don't get it. Maybe you have autism
>>
>>68357207
Agreed anon, well spoken.
OP you're a fucking cunt
>>
eh, tastes. I agree Jeff's voice is bad from a technical point of view, but I enjoy it. Chords and instrumentation are also extremely basic, but I also enjoy them. Lyrics are rambling, but I still enjoy them.

Honestly, best way I can explain why is that all this stuff that'd be grating on its own somehow comes together to form something more than the sum of its parts. You said it yourself: there's an atmosphere, there's some meat to all of this. Vomit of vocals that splatters over the (heh) floor of runaway instruments without much sense. That fits the dreamlike, psychedelic state of the album.

I'm not pretending you should like it, but for me it's definitely not a 1/5 (or 1/10, whatever scale you use). More like a 3 or 4. Everyone's got tastes: if we all had the same, there'd be no point in discussing music, would there?

Either way I agree it's pretty overrated - people like Nick Drake or Phil Elverum did the whole "weird folk" schtick way better, imho.
>>
>>68357748
"the lyrics ramble with no real pattern to them. There's no meter in the 'poetry'"
Has this person even listened to the album.
That could only be somewhat applicabl to like oh, comely.
The rest of the songs are clearly moving forward lyrically, Two Headed Boy And KOCF clearly tell a story.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.