[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /mu/ i need your help I started playing guitar 3 months ago

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20160902_132407.jpg (3MB, 3968x2976px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160902_132407.jpg
3MB, 3968x2976px
Hey /mu/ i need your help
I started playing guitar 3 months ago and i already learned some cool stuff
I can play the hells bells riff, the riff of sweet dreams, the first 30 seconds of europa by santana and some other nice stuff but i'm looking for some new fun stuff to play
I dont mind a challenge so if anyone has some good suggestions or exercises to improve my playing it would be greatly appreciated
Pic related is my guitar
>>
complete 12 fret major scale forward and reverse at vivace
>>
>>68355143
Heading out to the Highway
>>
Thanks guys, i'll try it
>>
>>68355143
learn the penatonic scale you pleb
>>
>>68356381
This
Highway star by deep purple is just a step up in the stair of guitar playing
>>
>>68355143
Pentatonic minor: Learn the intervals it's composed of, all 5 modes, and for fuck's sake, learn what the notes are.
>>
>>68355143
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/y/yngwie_malmsteen/arpeggios_from_hell_tab.htm
>>
>>68356457
>and for fuck's sake, learn what the notes are.
autism
>>
>>68355143
If you're planning to learn how to sing and play at the same time, I would recommend to start as soon as possible, because once you get used to just playing, it'll be harder.
>>
>>68356457
>plebatonic scale
atleast get him to learn the major scale first so he knows his modes.
>>
>>68356513
ok so i know what modes are, but how are they used/why are they omportant
>>
>>68356513
>He's starting with AC/DC and you think he's going to be ambitious enough to learn the major scale
>>
>>68356543
its not that big a difference and the plebatonic scale is actually vastly more difficult to play faster
>>
>>68356539
They're used over different chords when improvising. For example. a lydian mode can go over a Maj7 chord. A dorian mode over a mi7, a mixolydian over a 7 chord and so on.
>>68356543
Well I wish I had forced myself to learn my modes earlier instead of wanking with a pentatonic scale
>>
>>68356593
i don't really see why lydian or dorian or even phrygian have to go on a maj7 or 7 when the major and minor scales can easily go on those chords as well

it depends on the songs, really
i'll give you mixolydian, though
>>
>>68356593
>>68356561
I mean, both are fundamental scales. Ideally OP should learn both. I've just found it easier to start people off with the pentatonic minor because of how simple the shapes are.
>>
>>68356636
and as I recall there's fewer shapes

pentatonic is 5 and major is 7?
>>
>>68356626
Yeah the major and minor scales CAN go over them. But your a really boring player if you don't put in other scales in there and you just keep using plebatonic, major and minor runs.

Then again, rn I'm trying to get into Jazz so.
>>
>>68356653
How long have you been playing, out of curiosity?
I take classical courses at University, plus I take lessons from a jazz guitarist in my free time.
>>
>>68356644
no both have 5 but pentatonic is just fewer notes by a third
>>
>>68356676
>How long have you been playing, out of curiosity?
I take classical courses at University, plus I take lessons from a jazz guitarist in my free time.

6 years about but self taught for 5. I had a good feel for it but I should've taken my theory more seriously. I just started studying classical last year. I have a pretty cool math rock piece I'm finishing my mixing on and gonna release soon tho.
>>
>>68356653
>>68356626
but arent modes just the same scale with a different root note?

ie the b locrian is just a c major scale starting on b, so if youre in the key of C youre still only playing the c major scale
>>
>>68356697
That's pretty awesome. I take it you had to go back and learn a bit of theory?
>>
>>68356510
Thanks, i plan on doing this later so i'll get to it
>>
>>68356543
Is it a bad thing that i started with ac dc?
>>
>>68356753
>but arent modes just the same scale with a different root note?
Yeah, but it helps if you know what notes are being flatted or sharped in every scale(which, except for lydian would really just be which notes are flat)

For example, knowing a locrian mode is yknow, a flat 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th for

But before you do that learn all the positions for a major scale. Start with F major and go up the neck.

>>68356758
Yeah I'm studying Jazz and classical right now at college. After this I'm gonna try and get a real job. Was thinking of doing a massage therapist course.
>>
>>68355143
theres only 7 different chords/notes to learn
then learn how to stay in key on each chord
and you're golden and will be shredding
>>
>>68356810
I'm hoping to pursue as far of an education as I can musically, to be honest. Is it stupid to go for a DMA?
>>
>>68356835
>DMA
Well, if you wanna take it that far the best thing you could do for a career is try and get a job at a Uni or College as a professor. If my family wasn't so broke I'd go for it. There's no point in pursuing something that doesn't make you happy.

But if you aren't wealthy, try and do it as cheap as possible because it's not too unlikely you'll be completely screwed as far as job opportunities go.
>>
>>68356810
>it helps if you know what notes are being flatted or sharped in every scale

i agree, but if you already know a scale (eg C major - because i do know this one) across the fretboard, how is knowing the modes any different from simply starting the scale off a certain note? there is nothing else to change.

and it's not like youre changing modes of the same scale throughout a song, unless youre randomly changing keys.

the only time i need to know that c major starting on G is the G mixolydian mode is when my bassist says 'lets go for a G mixolydian riff during the bridge" as a shorthand, right?

forgive my ignorance but i dont see any use outside those contexts
>>
>>68356866
The good news is up to my BA will be essentially free, for me. But after that, I'm on my own. My family is broke as shit, too, so the government gives me grants. But hey, you can always learn all the same stuff at a library.
>>
>>68356867
>i agree, but if you already know a scale (eg C major - because i do know this one) across the fretboard, how is knowing the modes any different from simply starting the scale off a certain note? there is nothing else to change.

It's just a literacy thing. It isn't crucial, I suppose. But I don't really think about it like that, I usually just flat or sharp the notes. If you find it easier to do that then that's fine, but it's a good idea to learn what's happening in detail eventually.

>>68356887
>The good news is up to my BA will be essentially free, for me. But after that, I'm on my own. My family is broke as shit, too, so the government gives me grants. But hey, you can always learn all the same stuff at a library.

Yeah I feel you man, I got some scholarships and I hope I can get more for second year. What type of music are you looking to play?
>>
>>68356905
>What type of music are you looking to play?
The thing is that I'm honestly hoping to play all sorts of different styles. I mainly want to play Jazz Fusion and psychedelia type stuff. But I also want to play classically.
You mentioned math rock, is that what you prefer?
>>
>>68356941
>You mentioned math rock, is that what you prefer?
I'm not sure! I like experimental music a lot, but I don't know where I'll be by the end of my BA. Do you have any original stuff out?
>>
>>68356971
Unfortunately, I don't. I still consider myself a complete novice, so I've yet to even jam with other musicians. Do you have any samples of music that you play?
>>
>>68356997
I have a rough mix of a song I wrote on soundcloud but I don't know if I wanna post it on /mu/ it isn't ready. Also it's under my full name.
>>
>>68357051
I totally understand, man. In any case, best of luck on your musical journey!
>>
>>68357125
Same to you!
>>
If you're not learning King Crimson's Fracture right now, just stop.
>>
>>68355143
play snow by rhcp
>>
>>68355143
Try to play along with this, it helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_OlkT8wy40
>>
>>68357179
this.
>>
>>68355143
Time by Pink Floyd. Give the solo a crack with a slow delay if you have access to one. Very satisfying.
>>
>>68358696
ye pretty much if you cant smash out fracture, or the banjo style picking in larks tongues in aspic part 1, you should just sell your guitar and kill urself.
>>
>>68355143
I would start learning *some* theory like modes and how chords are constructed, also how chord progressions work. If you're looking for songs to learn, learn À tout le Monde by Megadeth. Fairly simple song and an awesome solo that is fairly easy except for the very end which might take you a bit of practice.
Also, if you want to get your pentatonics not to sound plebian, learn the "modes" of the pentatonic scale (which are basically just different positions but they do sound different from one another).
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.