[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Some of the songs here are so fucking terrible. What the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: london calling.jpg (298KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
london calling.jpg
298KB, 1000x1000px
Some of the songs here are so fucking terrible. What the fuck makes it so good?
>>
It's UK Punk, you have to put yourself in a certain mindset to enjoy it

The mindset of someone with bad taste in music
>>
it's one of the catchiest albums of all time, it's really easy to enjoy.
>>
London Calling, Spanish Bombs and Lost in the Supermarket. Those three songs alone justify the praise it gets in my opinion.
>>
>>68315435
The entire point is iconography.
When you're listening to punk rock you have to know that the music is bad, it's sort of the point.
The album's production is great for other music of the genre at the time

Take a look at the album cover, it's Paul Simonon smashing his bass guitar at a small venue because the bouncers wouldn't let the fans get up out of their seats and rush to the stage, if that isn't the most iconic staple of punk, I don't know what is.
>>
>>68315435
they're not trying to be good you nerd

smash a few pints and listen to it again
>>
>>68315604
Idk who you are but I like you, wish more of /mu/ was like this
>>
>>68315488
BUT WITHOUT ENGLISH MUSIC, WHERE WOULD WE BE?

Beatles
Queen
Amy winehouse
echo n the bunnymen
duran duran
gorillaz
fleetwood mac (not entirely uk but take inspiration from us)
kate bush
arctic monkeys
stone roses
oasis
elton john
the cure
joy division
pink floyd
the smiths, oh god, the smiths
morrisey in general
elvis costello
mr david bowie
sex pistols
the kinks
the who
radio head
rolling stones

though you may not agree witht punk, the uk has/ had an awesome music industry
>>
>>68315587
It's true that I barely know punk rock. I heard Guns of Brixton, thought it was a fucking amazing song so I decided to give this a Listen. Most of the songs are just too happy, I thought I was in for some good riffs and early talking heads vibes when infact it was just proto-sublime.

The songwriting is terrible, there was so much cliche chord progressions. I barely know punk rock but there are bands like Fugazi who really wrote some interesting songs.
>>
>>68315632
this, kek
>>
>>68315679
Had.
The last two decades have been pretty dire for British music (with a few exceptions like Radiohead)
>>
>>68315679
this guy has good taste
>>
>>68315684
>Most of the songs are just too happy,
I get what you mean, but I don't think it's a good criticism of an album (except on a more personal level). It's like critiquing Joy Division by saying the songs are too miserable
>>
>>68315604
Hey they are like top 10 in rolling stone dude you surely are banalizing the shit out of the album's content even though it was clearly designed to be a "timeless classic".

It's basically 40% ska-punk and 60% soft rock so of course """"high brow""" magazines will eat it up and say this is much better than punk btw just my 2 cents i like the album but it's no punk and you are wrong.
>>
I just love how people are referring to London Calling as a "Punk" album when The Clash had basically turned their back on punk as a music style and a subculture after Give 'em Enough Rope was released. (And you don't need any Clash albums after that)

Truth be told punks abandoned The Clash for good after listening to this album only once when it originally came out in 1980.
>>
>>68315707
as the post writer, i agree, but uk music has had a massive knock on effect of how music ...

went, if that makes sense.

the smiths in cluded the lyrics panic and at the disco, which in turn inspired panic! at the disco, who i love and have since i heard them almost 10 years prior to today
>>
>>68315435
>What the fuck makes it so good
It isn't great. It's spotty like most Clash albums. Combat rock is better by far.
>>
>>68315604
They were the greatest band in the world, and very good, retarded girl.
>>
I'm not going to like it here on /mu/.
>>
>>68315724
I know I just didn't expect so much happiness and upjumpy songs. I don't even know why it's punk rock. I never heard an album so acclaimed that I didn't enjoy this much. Though I still think Guns of Brixton is a masterpiece, mostly because of that riff and it's a shame the rest of the songs don't have anything like it or London Calling.
>>
File: 1475854272799.jpg (5KB, 170x208px) Image search: [Google]
1475854272799.jpg
5KB, 170x208px
>>68315679
>pleb english taste

as a genuine Englishman I am offended
>>
>>68315776
General threads such as /shugazi/ and /Hip Hop General (HHG)/ are a lot better if you're looking for music discussion.
>>
>>68315790
i am too an english fellow, but i just typed up some of the most famous, if you want to list your fav, youre welcome
>>
>>68315776
Isn't that the case with every board?
>>
currently listening to this

https://youtu.be/CNs4YiISL-E
>>
>>68316136
chumbawamba weren't political, they were just crap
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.