[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been getting into them lately and wow, they are pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1

File: Led-Zeppelin1.jpg (84KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
Led-Zeppelin1.jpg
84KB, 630x420px
I've been getting into them lately and wow, they are pretty fucking boring. Aside from singles, everything is bland and uninteresting when compared to other bands like The Doors, Black Sabbath, The Velvet Underground.
What's their appeal? From what I heard, it's just what I imagine dadrock would sound like.
>>
Listen son you're much better off listening to the whole Cream discography especially the second album of Wheels of Fire side two of Goodbye and both volumes of Live Cream since all Lead Blimp did was just try to replicate in the studio what Cream did 1000x better in concert.
>>
>>68314957
>Been getting into them lately
>Wow they are pretty fucking boring

Your statement is a contradiction in terms.
If you're bored by something then you can't get into it.
>>
You sound like a /mu/drone desu. If the only music from the 60s and 70s you can enjoy is 2experimental4u, just give up on the others and listen to Scaruffi-core. Led Zeppelin pretty much invented the sound of hard rock, and were practically virtuosos compared to their peers. Go listen to albums 1-4, there has to be at least something you like.
>>
>>68315075
>Led Zepplin invented hard rock
>Forgets about deep Purple who existed two years prior.
>>
>>68315175
Purple started out as a Vanilla Fudge clone with Jon Lord as the leader. Blackmore himself said that hearing Zeppelin gave him the kick up the butt that he needed to seize the reins of the band and take it in the direction he wanted.
>>
>>68315190
But all Vanilla Fudge did was release an album full of nothing but covers played in the same style as the first Soft Machine album.
>>
>>68315175
They existed, but weren't nearly as good. I would maybe agree with Black Sabbath, but Deep Purple only had a few great tracks, all of which came after the first couple Led Zeppelin albums.
>>
>>68315075
Scaruffi likes Led Zepplin you know
>>
>>68314957
Rock and roll isn't supposed to be "interesting", poser

It's very physical music, just let the noise shake you
>>
>>68315175
I actually think that Deep Purple is infinitely better than Led Zep. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were always kinda sloppy in general. The playing of the DP members was tight as fuck (Especially Jon Lord, Ian Paice and Ritchie Blackmore). I'd also like to add that Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord basically invented neoclassical metal.
>>
>>68315227
You can't really doubt just how influential Vanilla Fudge actually were (Particularly Appice). They were a strong influence on Zeppelin, early Purple and Sabbath, as well as all the other second-wave hard rock bands like Lucifer's Friend and Uriah Heep.

>>68315235
I'd certainly dispute this. The first three Mk. 2 albums and Burn stand toe-to-toe with anything Zeppelin ever did.
>>
>>68315235
I guess it's a matter of taste.
BS released their first album around the same time LZ did but were a much better band IMHO.

I don't think DP put out a bad album until Burn. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the sound of a Hammond B3 organ played through a Leslie speaker.........
>>
>>68315277
I agree with you but john bonham is in a league of his own.
>>
>>68315311
Bonham was more powerful, but Paice had the better chops and was arguably more groovy.

I'll take JPJ over Glover in a heartbeat, though.
>>
>>68315296
>liking Black Sabbath but not Led Zeppelin
Your taste is backwards, Black Sabbath are dogshit and Led Zeppelin are good but not great
>>
>>68315293
I won't deny that the Appice brothers were well skilled at their craft or that Vanilla Fudge were a good band as far as musicianship goes. Hey Jeff Beck and Black Sabbath don't pick just anybody off the street to jam with them.

My only beef w/Vanilla Fudge is that their first and only best known album is nothing but covers and very dreary sad melancholic ones at that no matter how good their re-interperatations of those songs are. (And they ARE good)
>>
>>68315317
Bonham was great and arguably more influential. And about bassists, I agree, but I would take Glenn Hughes over both of them. That dude has got really funky basslines plus he's an amazing singer, even today.
>>
>>68314957
but led zeppelin are the greatest band of all time. The appeal is everything.
>>
>>68315328
How are either not great? What kind of music do you listen to?
>>
>>68314957
The lyrics are fucking retarded. 14 year old dragon Tolkien level fantasy pap.
The only good song that homo ever wrote was first written by a black man
>>
>>68315328
>black sabbath are dogshit
Refrain from sharing your worthless opinions on music in yhe future
>>
>>68315264
you are a girl
>>
>>68315317
>I'll take JPJ over Glover in a heartbeat, though
same.

Also saying Bonham was more "powerful" is an understatement. Bonzo is what made led zeppelin. He was their anchor, the backbone of everything they did. There isn't one drummer who could've been replace him he was pretty much the main reason Led Zeppelin had a powerful sound in the first place. Ian Paice is an amazing drummer but the core of Deep Purple was always Jon Lord/Blackmore, they were the brains and soul of DP. For Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page's overdubs and production, and Bonzo drumming. That's what made them so good. Take out Bonham, they would sound much more bland.
>>
>>68315328
All Led Zepplin did was rip off Cream change around old Chicago blues songs (Which they are still getting sued over today) and played basic three chord rock with a gimmick that Pete Townsend did years earlier. (It's amazing how many people think Jimmy Page was the first to take a violin bow to a guitar)

Black Sabbath on the other hand were very much influenced by jazz and be bop and wrote originals and when they DID do a cover they gave credit where credit is due. (Evil Woman is not theirs) Somehow I just don't see LZ sitting around listening to the likes of Charles Mingus John Coltrane Dizzy Gillespie or Charlie Parker. The closest LZ got to anything like that was ripping off WIllie Dixon and adding some Stockhausen style avant gaurde sound effects in the middle of the song to sound "Edgy".

Just my personal taste/opinion but I'll take BS over LZ any day.
>>
>>68315400
>Bonham
Bonham and that Ginger Baker are the two most overrated drummers in rock history.
>>
>>68315427
>Black Sabbath on the other hand were very much influenced by jazz and be bop
what the fuck? are you joking here lad?
>>
>>68314957
I and IV are great albums
>>
>>68315439
>le edgy
>>
>>68315366
Glenn Hughes is a fucking freak, it's completely ridiculous that he's put himself through all that abuse and still comes out with his voice completely intact. Only really Paul Rodgers and John Farnham have aged as well vocally, and they didn't do half the shit Hughes did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUCINknPoHo
>>
>>68315311 (Nice dubs)
>>68315317
>>68315366 (Nice dubs)
>>68315400 (Sure are a lot of dubs today)

All these postings make me wonder what LZ would'e been like if The Who hadn't ironed out their differences and Keith Moon had stayed in the band? (He WAS the one who came up with the name you know)
>>
>>68315468
They are. Zep bugs me to no ends, and Cream had about three good songs.
Baker is the worst. Banking on drums like a savage and calling it good. "NATURAL TOIME"

Fuck them both and fuck you. Say something about the subject instead of making some snarky remark about me as a person, cunt.
>>
>>68315439
see >>68315512

>>68315455
Why don;t you play the musicians I mentioned and compare their music to the first two BS albums and find out weather or not I was joking?

Earn those dubs boy!
>>
>>68315554
black sabbaths favorite band when recording paranoid was led zeppelin
>>
>>68315512
Page's original projected Zeppelin line-up of Page/Beck/JPJ/Marriott/Moon? Would've been interesting.

After Don Arden scared Page off from potentially doing anything with Marriott, he went after a singer named Terry Reid (Best known for Cheap Trick covering one of his songs, "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace"), who turned him down, but recommended Robert Plant. About 18 months later, Reid also turned down Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord for the Deep Purple gig.

Horrifying stuff.
>>
>>68315554
I just wonder where the fuck you got the idea the BS sounds anything like Coltrane.
>>
>>68315554
>Keith Moon
That's kind of what I was getting at. He was the best rock drummer, musically, and I'll not debate it.
I get too emotional.
>>
>>68315581
That may be so but I'm hearing a lot more jazz than blues on that album especially in songs like Iron Man Hand of Doom Rat Salad and Fairies Wear Boots.
>>
>>68315474
I still believe that DP should ditch Gillan and Glover and get Hughes instead. And maybe Coverdale. Not only are they not enough of an arsehole to refuse singing songs of the lineups they weren't in (Gillan refuses to sing the Mk III songs), they've also aged much better vocally than Ian Gillan. Gillan looks like he's in the process of shitting bricks when trying to reach the higher notes nowadays.
>>
>>68315608
I said influenced by not sound like.
>>
>>68315636
Gillan has aged pretty badly, but Coverdale's sadly even worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ3lkiJrZhk

Joe Lynn Turner still sounds pretty good, though still not a patch on Hughes.
>>
>>68315642
influenced in what way though?
>>
>>68315680
Now I actually notice how bad he sounds. The backing singers are so much better than him for some reason. I only knew the Whitesnake Burn performance from that one live DVD which was actually pretty decent.
>>
>>68315801
Yeah, Coverdale's completely shredded his voice, which is just down to smoking and spending too long singing the '80s metal stuff that was already out of his comfortable range to begin with. When he doesn't have studio magic on his side and is forced to sing something even marginally beyond his low-range, he sounds awful.

Jorn Lande sounds more like Coverdale than Coverdale has in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBCkH7gWUus
>>
>>68315695
Chord structures and rhythm/time signatures. A lot of that stuff is not being played in standard 2-4 time and imagine Tony Iommi's leads being played on a trumpet instead of an electric guitar.
>>
>>68315854
direct me to specific songs please because nothing I ever heard or BS has any of those.
>>
>>68315627
This has to be b8
>>
Out of all the 'classic' hard rock bands, the only ones I can still listen and enjoy are Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. Sabbath may have a few terrible albums but at least 80% of the early Ozzy era material is really solid. Deep Purple was one of the first hard rock bands I listened to (through my dad) so their stuff is kinda of nostalgic to me. Some of their grooves are cheesy as fuck, but I think they put some very good albums too. All of the musicians on the band were also very solid. Led Zeppelin however, I used to really enjoy, but now i just can't listen to some of their songs and not roll my eyes as their fanbase is just incredibly pretentious.
>>
>>68314957

Just because other bands were better doesn't mean they weren't good.
>>
>>68315366
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKsyUkeBevN/
I don't even know what to say... He's 64 by the way.
>>
>>68314957
>Aside from singles, everything is bland and uninteresting
nigga their singles were their most bland songs.

Gallows pole is more interesting than anything any of those 3 bands ever did

>>68315009
this guys right tho
but listen to the live recordings the studio ones suck dingaling
>>
>>68314957
jesus christ if you're that much of a faggot that you don't like good old-fashioned rock music, then I can't help you.

>What's their appeal?
if you had a set of balls you'd understand it. If not, gb2 sufjan or whatever shit you're into
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.