[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some bad/medicore albums from artists you highly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: WorstoftheBest.jpg (191KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
WorstoftheBest.jpg
191KB, 380x380px
What are some bad/medicore albums from artists you highly enjoy?
(Pic related)
>>
File: 1475345943084.jpg (24KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1475345943084.jpg
24KB, 604x604px
>>
>>68308024
Medulla takes a lot of patience and admiration for classical music to appreciate. I didn't like it at first but now I find it amazing. Think of it as her a capella album, helps you see into her head. It reminds me a lot of Shadow of the Colossus.

Invincible had a decent amount of tender songs which Michael was good with. After Bad his energetic songs were a bit off.
>>
>>68308830
Medulla isn't in the 'BAD' section per sey, it's just weaker in comparison to her other album.

In my opinion she's probably the artist I listen to with the most consistant discography. Hell I even liked a lot of the songs on Medulla, it was just weaker compared to her other stuff.

But yeah Invincible I can't fucking stand for the life of me. Save for 2 or 3 songs it's just shitty R. Kelly-esque R&B.
>>
Homework is a great album though. It sounds super ahead of its time and sometimes I enjoy it more than Discovery. Nowadays it kinda sounds unlike Daft Punk but I think it's a very fun record that holds up pretty well today. The repetition can get a little tiresome after a while and it's a long album, maybe that's the reason you find it "mediocre" or even "bad".
>>
>>68308972
Well the loops/repetitiveness isn't ALWAYS bad (High Fidelity, Around The World and Teachers are pretty great tracks, among others). It's just that, again, in my opinion, some of the loops they choose can get pretty grating. (ESPECIALLY Rollin and Scratchin.)
>>
>>68308870
I think her weakest album is Volta (which I see as the start of a midlife crisis). It has a cool aesthetic and the opening track is very impressive but the use of another vocalist and the length of the songs afterward make it feel like a task to finish listening to. Biophilia was a bit better but still lacked behind its concept. Vulnicura is sadly an awkward return to the style of Homogenic in light of her critical response and divorce but its better than Biophilia.

I'm pretty biased to Michael so I can't argue for it but I still think it's pretty good, haha. Maybe compared to the rest though it's not one of the best.
>>
>>68308024
Medulla and 808s are good
>>
suck it and see, by the arctic monkeys. most people give AM shit i quite like it, and consider it their third best record. Suck it and see however is so sloppy, boring and inconsistent, that its just draining.
>>
>>68308972
Homework is easily the best album Daft Punk ever recorded.
>Da Funk
>Teachers
>Around the World
>Revolution 909
And the rest are easily just as good.

I almost thought that this was just a troll post when I saw it in the 3x3.
>>
>>68309081
Volta and Biophilia I love, but I can see why some people can dislike the more electronic/pop-ish sounds of the albums.

Also I have to respectfully disagree with the 'another vocalist' part. Her duets with Anthony Hegarty are some of my favorite songs of hers. And thanks to them I found Antony and the Johnsons, which is A group I've grown to love.

I am slightly surprised you didn't enjoy Vulnicura, though.
>>
>>68309113
Medulla is decent. It's just weaker compared to her other albums

808s is by far one of the worst things Kanye made. Terrible, terrible beats.

>>68309126
I'm not trolling. I'm very respectfully talking about my opinion. I'm not trying to be a jerk to anyone.

I disagree with you about Daft Punk. Discovery and RAM are much better to me. And while there ARE great tracks on Homework, most of them are just pretty weak.
>>
>>68309130
Oh I did enjoy Vulnicura but I felt kinda guilty about it because she always tries to make every album unique but here kinda gives up for a while and settles on a sound she's done before.
>>
>>68309130
Volta is probably her least 'pop' album actually. It's partly why it's kinda bad I guess. I mean it's hard to get through songs like Pneumonia and Vertebrae by Vertebrae without getting annoyed.
>>
>>68309194
Well I can somewhat understand that but I feel like there are a few differences from Homogenic. Vulnicura feels kind of softer in comparison and had more of a concept (Heartbreak/losing love) than Homogenic did. Of course that's just my take on it.

(Plus Vulnicura had another awesome Anthony and Bjork duet)
>>
>>68309227
Well I meant the more dance/timbaland produced tracks, but I see what you mean.

Also yeah I can understand the distaste for Vertebrae since it was mostly based on a song from a.....less enjoyed Bjork album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5B0onk-pXE
>>
>>68309253
Maybe I overstated it by saying she's done it before but it's definitely an album that builds off of her past work, which she doesn't traditionally like to do so you can sense some conflict.

Homogenic was an album about home, singularity, and love's strife. Vulnicura is an album about home, singularity, and family issues.
>>
>>68309418
Is that really what Homogenic was about? I never really got that from listening to it, personally. Then again I take the songs a LOT more literally than most people.

Also difference wise I feel the instrumentation on Homogenic was a little bit more versetile (Samples on Alarm Call, Glass Harmonica on All Neon Like, Accordion on Hunter) while Vulnicura was entirely drum machines and strings.
>>
>>68309464
Yeah. She said she wanted to make an album where all the songs sonically tied together unlike Debut or Post and that the cover art was supposed to be a female warrior of love which ties to the whole lyrical aspect. The home part comes through in songs like Joga where she wanted to make electronic sounds that resembled the turbulence of Iceland's volcanoes and even the ship horn sound at the beginning of Unravel. Oh yeah she said she wanted Icelandic session musicians because they could relate to the culture and such.

Vulnicura in my opinion takes after Joga with Stonemilker and Black Lake. Lionsong definitely takes after Hunter. Family is more of a Vespertine song, understandably since it's about Barney. Atom Dance is Biophilia. History of Touches is like All is Full of Love. You're right that overall they're different though. I think Vulnicura is much less poppy or pronounced but I can't make any arguments as to exactly how.
>>
>>68309702
Well I thought when she said that she meant production wise having a 'tied together' style (strings, beats, and vocals). I saw her talking about that on the South Bank Show (Or at least I think that was the show she was interviewed on). I didn't think there's too many tying concepts in the lyrics (which there's nothing wrong with).

Also....wow, now that you bring up those comparisons I can kind of see them (Though I'd argue Quicksand is more Biophilia like than Atom Dance was).
>>
>>68309702
I know you're comparing vulnicura to homogenic, but atom dance actually has a lot more to do with vesperine's unison
>>
>>68309761
Yeah production's part of what I meant. Debut and Post were more like collections of songs she wanted to release where on one track there's a harp, one track is electronic, one is an old Broadway standard, etc. whereas Homogenic was following along a pattern of instruments but lyrically as well. Hunter is feminism and Icelandic pride against heartbreak, Joga is about taking in the beauty and turmoil of natural Iceland, Unravel is about lovesickness, Bachelorette is love's conflict while alluding to Iceland's nature, All Neon Like is anger in love but alludes to electronic music, 5 Years is anger in love as well, Immature is pride and anger in love, Alarm Call is emotional bravery and red-pilling while referencing nature, Pluto is striving for the future (embracing electronics), All is Full of Love is acceptance of love.
>>
>>68309841
I think the pizzicato of Atom Dance ties it more to Biophilia.
>>
>>68310103
...Wow I am REALLY bad at song meanings. I took the songs way too straightforward. I thought Hunting was (literally) about hunting. And I thought she wrote Joga about her best friend. And I just flat out never got Pluto. But yeah I can see the others.
>>
>>68310145
That's what I though as well until I really looked at the lyrics so you aren't that bad. Joga was named after her best friend hairdresser or something and friendship ties to home, pride, and loyalty, blablabla. I think Pluto's a tricky one to get but throughout her career she's always talked about how guitar music is done, etc. so I took it as "let's just move on with the real party". Then again the song itself just ties to the energy and raveyness of electronic music at the time so it's like a fun little single for the people who like her stuff from Post.
>>
>>68310238
To be honest it's probably my least favorite song from the album. I mean it's certainly not BAD but compared to the other compositions on the album it's nowhere near as great.
>>
File: Kayne_West_Twitter-498x434.jpg (29KB, 498x434px) Image search: [Google]
Kayne_West_Twitter-498x434.jpg
29KB, 498x434px
>>68308024
>808s
>bad
>>
>>68310343
Dude. Even if 808s DIDN'T have absolutely terrible beats (which it does)

When you compare it to literally ANY of his other releases, it pails.
>>
>>68310329
Agreed, it's more like fanservice or something energetic and interesting to move it along like an improv section. Doesn't always translate well with the rest of the work.
>>
>>68310371
Just out of curiosity, how would you rank Bjork's albums?
(this should be fun)
>>
>>68310402
Oh great. Hmm

>Homogenic (most tied together, largest amount of best tracks, fresh sound, fucks me up, opened me up a lot to electronic music)

>Medulla (basically equal to or ever so slightly ahead of vespertine. a bit tricky to listen to at first but it shows off her vocals very well. Love the glory/classical/church-feel of the sound as well as that sort of warmth with her pregnancy. There isn't a song I dislike on it but the best are Pleasure is All Mine, Vokuro, Who Is It, lots more)

>Vespertine (her most technically and socially challenging work. It's a refreshing start for a more controlled and artistic direction of her career. loved cocoon and Pagan poetry especially)

>Post (my originally favorite work by her. all the songs have merit and go a bit beyond what she did with Debut. It's probably her most poppy and is a real piece of its time. Best tracks are Hyperballad, Army of Me, Oh So Quiet, Possibly Maybe...)

>Debut (Sugarcubes 2.0 but still very good. It's a very quirky album but cute as well and very likeable. Very 90s. She sounded more like Sinead O'Connor or some other Gaelic/Scandinavian singer but with much more range)

>Vulnicura (her most accessible since Homogenic but also most similar. It's closely behind Debut. You really feel her pain in the tracks unlike any other album)

>Selmasongs (has a few wonderful tracks but is basically a soundtrack album that needs to be appreciated with Dancer in the Dark. Thom Yorke tho)

>Biophilia (more of an interesting project than an album in my opinion. The style is really unique and uses a lot of technical classical wizardry but somehow has less magic than her other releases)

>Volta (again, has some really banging tracks but as a whole it's hard for me to listen to. It's experimental but just not tied together right and comes off as being experimental for the sake of being experimental)
>>
>>68308024
>Homework
>bad/mediocre
>>
>>68310725
...Holy shit. the reviews here are so well written and intricate it's amazing. Well done, sir. Well done.
>>
>>68310761
Lol thanks I suppose. I basically divide my time on /mu/ by either writing really interesting responses or shitposting.
>>
>>68310781
You definitely don't seem like the shit-posting type. You're way too good at music-critique.
>>
File: titus.jpg (22KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
titus.jpg
22KB, 319x319px
ecce homo is one of my favorite songs by them
>>
>>68310799
We all need to shitpost once in a while. I've had friends tell me I should start a blog or something since I listen to a lot of music but idk. I feel like I'd be too biased and don't want to get Scaruffi/Fantano-level shat on.
>>
>>68310850
Nothing wrong with Bias. Just take it in stride.

I had a thread where I ranked every Bowie album track-by-track. I got barked at but I just did it for fun anyway. I don't regret it at all.

In fact I think I have yet to shit post on here.
>>
>>68310870
Well maybe. I usually need an incentive to write one so I just copy my thread responses when they come along.
Please keep up your credibility, haha.
>>
>>68310924
Heh, if you saw my Bowie thread the other day you wouldn't say I had any....

[spoiler]I gave 'it ain't easy' a 2[spoiler]
>>
>>68310965
How could you? It's gotta be at least a 5 or 6
>>
>>68311011
It's just...so...damn...weak. Especially when you compare it to the other songs on the album.

I don't really blame Bowie since it's not his song, but still, it's a weak performance. I didn't enjoy the vocals or melody at all.

(But either way album still 10/10)

BTW THE MADMAN IS AT IT AGAIN
>>68311003
>>
>>68311053
That's just juxtaposition to the other better songs. You haven't heard shit like a 2 til you've heard it.

Also that track ranking is a bit much.
>>
>>68311096
I know I hate myself just as much as you hate me. I'll pay the price for it one day.
>>
>>68311105
That's a bit dark mi amigo. I just disapproved of those opinions.
>>
>>68311119
Oh trust me there's gonna be a lot more disapproval in a minute...i'm gonna get shit for this....
>>
>>68311158
Don't worry about it. As long as you aren't a dick I could care less. It's hard to see it like that from one's own perspective though, I should know.
>>
post punk MBV were fucking garbage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrqhQ2n_Sjw
>>
>>68311183
I'm VERY polite. I try to be as polite as I can on here.
>>
>>68311216
I mean it's an anonymous website so I wouldn't freak out too much. Every response is a fresh start to either be incessantly annoying or critically intriguing. Have fun with it and don't take anything personally. This isn't reddit after all where you have to build a name for yourself.
>>
>>68311271
Well still. I like being nice to people. Thanks for the words.
>>
>>68311301
No problem. I'm not saying don't be nice but don't feel threatened about posting whatever you feel like.
>>
>>68311364
I was SLIGHTLY threatened during the Bowie thread yesterday but I didn't let it get to me too bad. I just did it for fun and it turned out great.
>>
>>68311454
Well there you go.
>>
Wow, actual polite music discussion! You don't see that too often here.
Enjoyed both of your thoughts. Also, your Bowie thread was good, will check out the Bjork one.
>>
>>68311479
Glad you did.
>>
File: Michael_Jackson_-_Bad.png (85KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Michael_Jackson_-_Bad.png
85KB, 300x300px
>>
>>68311479
Thank you. Very much appreciated. Bjork thread is live. Finishing the Volta chart r/n.
>>
>>68308024
80s Alternative Mode

Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame
XTC - Mummer
The Stranglers - Feline & Aural Sculpture
General Public - All their albums
Midnight Oil - The one with Beds Are Burning and Dreamworld (the rest are total shit)
Talking Heads - True Stories (more underrated but IMO the best TH album)
The Damned - Phantasmagoria & Anything (I find myself listening to these way more than the early era)
The Sound - From the Lion's Mouth
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.