[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would've been the reaction in 1967 if it ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: The SMiLE Sessions.jpg (458KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
The SMiLE Sessions.jpg
458KB, 1600x1600px
What would've been the reaction in 1967 if it ever saw the light of day?
>>
"Dude what the fuck is this shit?" - Rolling Stone
>>
>>68298789
everyone would have immediately tripped to it on loop
also it'd be probably around #6 on the all-time RYM
>>
Smile was finally released in 1967, right as the band’s popularity and reputation in the US were slipping amidst the rise of the psychedelic era. The album initially polarized critics, with many celebrating it as an artistic triumph and Brian Wilson’s magnum opus, and others dismissing it as confusing and unfocused. It reached number 2 on the Billboard 200, behind the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. The acclaim of Smile gave the Beach Boys a reinvigorated popularity and artistic veneration. In 1968, Smile was nominated for the Grammy Award for Album of the Year. Today’ it is considered one of the greatest and most important in pop music history.
>>
>>68298975
By early-1968, however, events began to take a turn for the worse. Smile had come to the attention of struggling folk musician Charles Manson, who had ties to Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson and had recently begun amassing a following of young women – soon to become the ‘hippie cult’, The Manson Family. In addition to obsessing over the album as a fan, he interpreted the lyrics as a cryptic allusion to a massive racial conflict in America, and that he was to trigger it. Under his direction, the Family began targeting celebrities in Los Angeles throughout 1968. Portions of Smile lyrics were scribed in blood on the victims’ bodies, and when news of the attacks reached the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson suffered a critical nervous breakdown – having just begun to recover from the stresses of making Smile. They had started work on their second LP following Smile, and Brian and Mike Love continued to clash over the musical direction of the band. During a late-night recording session on November 21, 1968, the Manson Family ransacked the studio and violently murdered the group and recording staff. The only survivor was Love, who had left the studio proceeding an argument with Brian. Upon returning, he contacted the police, and the Family was arrested a few days later.
>>
>>68299016
In the aftermath, an outpour of grief and anger came from the American public, as many began to question the criminal and ethical implications of pop music. The inauguration of President Richard M. Nixon in 1969 ensured a reactionary legislative approach to the issue. Many government officials of both major parties demanded tight restrictions on the pop music industry, and a narrow majority of citizens were supportive of the measure. Later that year, the House Committee on Music Recording and Promotion was organized, and congressional hearings on the moral state of pop and rock music began in earnest. The last person to testify, Mike Love, wept as he renounced the music that made him famous.
>>
>>68298975
>>68299016
>>68299042
Would you shove this Manson fan fic up your ass already, it's stupid!
>>
>>68299042
The lengthy hearings ultimately lead to the passage of the controversial Broadcasting Decency Act of 1970, which placed extensive restraints on content and marketing in the pop music industry in the United States. Massive protests broke out across the country, but before long contemporary pop, rock, and folk were rapidly falling off the charts. More forward-thinking forms of rock, folk, jazz, psychedelia, and electronic music that were once poised to revolutionize the pop scene now vanished from the public eye. The dominant forms of pop returned to easy listening, country-western, and some sanitized rock ‘n’ roll.
In June 1980, Mike Love returned to music after a decade-long period of reclusiveness. He unexpectedly released the album Looking Back – which, aside from lyrically reflecting on his time with the Beach Boys and the loss of his bandmates, featured all-rock instrumentation, the very kind that inadvertently killed pop in America. Ironically, the man who had resisted to shake up the formula in the 60s was doing just that now. The album shot to the top of the charts and made Love an overnight solo superstar, embarking on a sold-out national tour. However, the success was short-lived, as Mike was shot dead by Mark David Chapman, a disturbed young fan, on December 8, 1980.
>>
>>68298789
If it was released in 1967, it'd be a somewhat different album, probably considerably shorter (two sides, 40 minutes max).
>>
>>68299067
>as Mike was shot dead by Mark David Chapman, a disturbed young fan, on December 8, 1980.
if only
>>
>>68298975
ignoring the shitty fanfic after this post, this is probably p accurate
>>
>>68299104
I remember that someone [spoiler](the same guy who did a stereo mix of Zaireeka that also had sounds from the 5th bonus disc)[/spoiler] tried to reconstruct Smile as if it was released in 1967 based on information left by the band (interviews, notes, etc). If I'm correct, it ended with Surf's Up and had Barnyard and I'm In Great Shape changed places, together as one track.
>>
>>68299179
you mean this? http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-beach-boys-smile-1967.html
i've heard it, it's alright. seems kinda empty somehow tho
>>
>>68299212
Yeah, this one. I also remembered that in this mix, Child Is Father Of The Man had the cello transitioning right to The Old Master Painter, shit was cash. Too bad he chose to use the Cantina Mix of Heroes and Villains.
>>
>>68299212
I made a mix similar to that one, but with more beef added to it

https://mega.nz/#F!U8owiJLI!cfxvURJQ3QaD-cOwAyAjIA
>>
>>68299347
I'll check it out!
>>
>>68299362
Thanks!
>>
they would have hated it then just like they do now

remember, best songs from Smile were on Smiley Smile

quit celebrating the mental illness/decline of Brian Wilson

you all get sick pleasure witnessing that and it's disgusting

he's not a circus freak or a clown, so quit basking in his downfall

you're not music fans, you're just sick people

if you really liked music or Brian Wilson, you might, like 99 percent of the world, celebrate the gifts he shared with us all before he succumbed to mental illness and drug abuse

I Get Around
Fun, Fun, Fun
Surfin' USA
California Girls

I could go on and on. But you assholes would rather point and laugh at the fallen man gaining 1000 pounds, smoking reefer and honking bicycle horns than appreciate the talent that he actually had
>>
>>68300054
What is this, Tumblr?
>>
(INSIDE OUTSIDE USA INSIDE OUTSIDE USA)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.